Changes between RGS2 & RGS3?

Discussion of the RGS
Forum rules
No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!
legopaidi

Changes between RGS2 & RGS3?

Post by legopaidi »

Hi there, new forum member here :)

I'm a newbie to FotN even if I've had the hardcover version since 2013 and pretty much most of the other books (including Children Of Eriu).
I've finally decided to give the game a proper look and try to get a Saga going. Better late than never I guess! The game looks awesome :)

Reading through the corebook and then jumping to Children of Eriu to get a feel of the latest version of the system I found out that there are quite a lot of changes and it is somewhat chaotic for me as an inexperienced Norn. Is there a document/thread etc which compiles these changes from v2 to v3 that is easy to reference?

And a question about a specific change;

In v2, to play an active power you have to play the specific rune bound to it. And you can play any applicable runes to add meta tags.
In v3 to play an active power you just have to play a rune that matches the Trait that the power was bound to, you don't have to play the specific rune. However, to then add meta tags, this is only possible if the Active Power was initiated by playing the exact bound rune.

Do I have this correct?

It seems to me that this change makes Active Power use in v3 more frequent overall. But at the same time it is less common that the power can be augmented. I would think that this creates situations like a Fighter constantly using (let's say) Lunging Attack instead of a basic Attack action but the end result feels less spectacular most of the time (because most of the time the power can't be augmented with metas). Whereas in v2 I would think Active Powers feel more like "power moves", they are less common but more spectacular.

Again, all the above is by reading and comparing only, no actual hands on experience...So, I am wondering if this is how it really feels in-game and what was the design goal behind this change. Perhaps it was to simulate "fighting styles" better?

Anyway, sorry for the long post (and sorry for my English), looking forward to see your thoughts.
andrew

Re: Changes between RGS2 & RGS3?

Post by andrew »

There should be a thread indicating the differences, but I cannot find it at the moment. I may sticky it once I find it. But for now, I can enumerate the changes here since there aren't many.

List of changes:
[*] Social combat was added (PDF coming for backwards compatibility)
[*] AV and RV are used to formalize the values for various types of actions (actives, skills, etc)
[*] Deprecated effects: Pierce, Recover, Aura (can still be used but won't appear in future books)
[*] Can use a talent by matching the colour instead of symbol, symbol match for meta's only
[*] New formalized terms such as Restore (lose 1 intensity of a condition) to clean-up and shorten language

As to your point, re: use any rune for talent...
You can use the old way or the new way so long as you stay consistent. The reason for the change was mostly mathematical. As you level up and gain more Essence (assume Destiny stays the same), your chance to use one of your powers goes down. If you level up, we would assume you'd improve your chances of using your powers. So, in order to increase the odds, we bound the power use to your Trait colour rather than the symbol. But the symbol match is integral to the gameplay, so we reserved that for achieving the exceptional use of meta tags. It also aligns it to how the Norn uses colour matching for talents (excluding metas). Again, you can use either way at your game table.

I hope this helps.
legopaidi

Re: Changes between RGS2 & RGS3?

Post by legopaidi »

andrew wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:10 pm There should be a thread indicating the differences, but I cannot find it at the moment. I may sticky it once I find it. But for now, I can enumerate the changes here since there aren't many.

List of changes:
[*] Social combat was added (PDF coming for backwards compatibility)
[*] AV and RV are used to formalize the values for various types of actions (actives, skills, etc)
[*] Deprecated effects: Pierce, Recover, Aura (can still be used but won't appear in future books)
[*] Can use a talent by matching the colour instead of symbol, symbol match for meta's only
[*] New formalized terms such as Restore (lose 1 intensity of a condition) to clean-up and shorten language

As to your point, re: use any rune for talent...
You can use the old way or the new way so long as you stay consistent. The reason for the change was mostly mathematical. As you level up and gain more Essence (assume Destiny stays the same), your chance to use one of your powers goes down. If you level up, we would assume you'd improve your chances of using your powers. So, in order to increase the odds, we bound the power use to your Trait colour rather than the symbol. But the symbol match is integral to the gameplay, so we reserved that for achieving the exceptional use of meta tags. It also aligns it to how the Norn uses colour matching for talents (excluding metas). Again, you can use either way at your game table.

I hope this helps.
Thank you Andrew, this makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought about that. I believe I'll go with the RGS3 way after all.