Norn rune pack

Discussions and tips for Norns
Forum rules
No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!
raleel

Norn rune pack

Post by raleel »

So, norns don't need "real" runes. they need tokens with 3 colors.

48mm x 24mm - pretty big, even for my 11x17
red
blue
green

24mm x 12mm - a good size I think.
red
blue
green

there are many other colors. 100 of each color of the small ones are $18 +$6 of shipping. 4 sets of norn runes. I would imagine enough for a good long while.
moosh

Re: Norn rune pack

Post by moosh »

I looked at these as potential runes for me and the players too, but the shipping to Australia is over $40...

If you didn't feel like getting three colours, you could get one - i was thinking the charcoal - and just add coloured stickers in red/green/blue. Or make full sets of runes, you can draw them on with a decent permanent marker.

24mm x 12mm fit fine in the space on the player board if it's printed without changing the size.

I ended up making my own runes from 2.4mm cardboard by printing a stone texture onto an a4 sized label. 3 labels made enough for about 9 sets. Not quite as professioanl looking as mini dominos but noone has complained yet!

cheers
moosh
raleel

Post by raleel »

I ended up ordering a 100 pack of red blue and green mini ones just last night actually. I'll tell you how they go and post some pictures when they get in. Perhaps with some laminated Norn boards.
andrew

Post by andrew »

One of the sets we have in the office and we love for conventions because it's super light are furniture anti-scratch pads.
http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Anti-Skid- ... ratch+pads

Just print out our rune sticker template and stick them onto the adhesive side of those pads (no glue no mess and pretty sharp appearance). I don't know if you guys have "dollar stores" in Australia, but in Canada you can pick up a pack for $1 in those stores.
moosh

Post by moosh »

Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty happy with how my cardboard ones worked out.

I found a good stone texture and took the dimensions of some of the tokens from Yggrasil (the boardgame), like so:

I printed 4 or 5 A4 sized labels, stuck them to cardboard and ended up with enough to make 7 sets of runes, some initiative runes, blank condition and bloodied markers too, e.g.:

I then gave them a coat of ink fix/uv protectant spray and job done.

They look handmade but they do the trick.

i used the same label on cardboard technique for the playmats too and they look awesome IMO - the artwork is so fantastic!

raleel

Post by raleel »

Excellent! Very nice.
raleel

Post by raleel »

My norn runes came in. links up at the top for ordering, but I ordered the mini ones. a quick measurement on my norn mat (8x11) showed that the full size were going to be bad.

These are plastic bulk blank dominoes. 100 of a single color was about USD$5, and shipping of 3 sets was about USD$7. 300 runes gives me 12.5 full sets (100/8 per color per set = 12.5) - more than enough for anything that I can dream up. I expect that I'll use some of them for counters or something, though I have some metal coins from this kickstarer, including a set of viking ones, that I can use as well.

here they are on a regular 8x11 printout of the norn playmat. As you can see, they fit pretty much perfectly.

here they are all lined up. the other runes I have there are player runes that I hand made. They get an 11x17 mat. shown for comparison on size and color.

thickness comparison, using green. the norn ones are quite light and thin. I have poker chips that are heavier. they don't feel brittle, however.

blue comparison

red comparison. you can see from the blue and the red that they are a fair bit smaller at 12x24mm vs my hand made ones at more like 20x30mm
moosh

Post by moosh »

they look great, especially on the regular sized mats. I can see how these'd be really useful - you'd only need one bag of full runes for the Norn to do draws from (eg during dweller funerals), and everything else can be done with these.
raleel

Post by raleel »

yep, and honestly, I would probably just borrow a player bag for the funeral. my other thought is that they are just about the right size for just putting on a mat as a token for a mook, although i do have a pile of cheap plastic minis for some of that stuff :)
maliya1

Post by maliya1 »

raleel wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:33 am yep, and honestly, I would probably just borrow a player bag for the funeral. my other thought is that they are just about the right size for just putting on a mat as a token for a mook, although i do have a pile of cheap plastic minis for some of that stuff :)
Using a borrowed player bag for the funeral is a thoughtful idea, practical and respectful. As for repurposing the bags as tokens for mooks on a mat, brilliant! It's a creative way to make use of them beyond their original purpose. Plus, a pile of cheap plastic minis adds a nice touch for variety. Gaming ingenuity at its finest.