questions about Galdr passive skills + dual wield

Discussions about the 20th Anniversary Edition
Forum rules
No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!
Post Reply
Fusrodah
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:49 pm

questions about Galdr passive skills + dual wield

Post by Fusrodah »

Hi,

so the Galdr can put runes on his equipment as passive skills. it's not very clear in the book so I'm asking here

- can you wear more than 1 rune at once on several pieces of gear ?
- do they disappear upon trigger ?
- blood rune seems a bit OP, like all of your stun bar + 3 hp healed, isn't that a lot of health regen ?
- does runes of storm or explosion trigger on top of using a skill like thundering blow for example ?
- do you guys put a material cost to inscribing the rune on the gear?
- can you put several runes on a same piece of equipment ?

*sub question
- how does dual wield works with sizes and attacks ?

- can you put 1 rune on each of your 1 handed weapons ? making it a double rune attack ?

thanks !
User avatar
Panjumanju
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:38 am

Re: questions about Galdr passive skills + dual wield

Post by Panjumanju »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the core rulebook for RGS2 kind of assumes that when you learn a Rune of Whatever, you put it to pretty swift use and scribble it into your weapon, or armour, or whatever it obviously applies to. Maybe something in a later book I haven't read in a while went into bigger detail about applying runes in crafting, but you don't strictly need it. If you're a Galdr, assume you're putting runes on everything. Again, someone can correct me if I'm wrong there.

The rest though, I'm pretty solid on. Personally I'd rule one rune per item just to keep things simple, but it does not matter. At all. You could put a chain of 10 runes down your sword, all with different runes, all tied to different Powers. But when it comes to wyrding runes, you only get to use the Powers that come up with their runes.

Let's say you've got a sword with runes all down the length of the thing; you've got Thundering Blow, you've got a Rune of Singing Bad 80s Power Ballads, and a Rune of Making Lightsaber Sounds and a Rune of Exploding Sword. It's not like the principal for activation is "I swing my sword" and all those things happen.

When you're wyrding in combat, all those runes would need to come up in order to activate all those powers. Thundering Blow is only gonig to come up if you wyrded the rune for Thundering Blow. Right?

Dual wield. There's no problem putting a rune on everything you own, so long as it makes sense to do so. I had a player once you put the same rune on all his throwing axes. Dual wielding just means, in effect, paying another rune to make another attack this round, and applying all the same stuff you would for the first one. (One action, one rune.) If you had a few runes you could do a left, then a right, then a left again - and so on. It just means paying the cost for the runes as individual actions instead of constructing a meta chain. Sometimes that's worth it.

You're not the first person to ask this. The RGS3 rules has an example where the person is using a weapon in each hand, and I suspect Andrew put that in just to head-off the "how can I attack with two weapons?" questions.

//Panjumanju
--
"What strength!! But don't forget there are many guys like you all over the world."
jstomel
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:43 pm

Re: questions about Galdr passive skills + dual wield

Post by jstomel »

Panjumanju wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the core rulebook for RGS2 kind of assumes that when you learn a Rune of Whatever, you put it to pretty swift use and scribble it into your weapon, or armour, or whatever it obviously applies to. Maybe something in a later book I haven't read in a while went into bigger detail about applying runes in crafting, but you don't strictly need it. If you're a Galdr, assume you're putting runes on everything. Again, someone can correct me if I'm wrong there.

The rest though, I'm pretty solid on. Personally I'd rule one rune per item just to keep things simple, but it does not matter. At all. You could put a chain of 10 runes down your sword, all with different runes, all tied to different Powers. But when it comes to wyrding runes, you only get to use the Powers that come up with their runes.

Let's say you've got a sword with runes all down the length of the thing; you've got Thundering Blow, you've got a Rune of Singing Bad 80s Power Ballads, and a Rune of Making Lightsaber Sounds and a Rune of Exploding Sword. It's not like the principal for activation is "I swing my sword" and all those things happen.

When you're wyrding in combat, all those runes would need to come up in order to activate all those powers. Thundering Blow is only gonig to come up if you wyrded the rune for Thundering Blow. Right?

Dual wield. There's no problem putting a rune on everything you own, so long as it makes sense to do so. I had a player once you put the same rune on all his throwing axes. Dual wielding just means, in effect, paying another rune to make another attack this round, and applying all the same stuff you would for the first one. (One action, one rune.) If you had a few runes you could do a left, then a right, then a left again - and so on. It just means paying the cost for the runes as individual actions instead of constructing a meta chain. Sometimes that's worth it.

You're not the first person to ask this. The RGS3 rules has an example where the person is using a weapon in each hand, and I suspect Andrew put that in just to head-off the "how can I attack with two weapons?" questions.

//Panjumanju
What you say is true about active abilities. For passives it's a little different
User avatar
Panjumanju
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:38 am

Re: questions about Galdr passive skills + dual wield

Post by Panjumanju »

jstomel wrote:What you say is true about active abilities. For passives it's a little different
Oh, that's right. I was just thinking about Actives. The rune for Passives is they always go off, so long as they're condition are met, so there's no reason why they don't stack. Let me break out my CRB...

Rune of Blood (could be on anything) Heals and Recovers
Rune of Bones (anything) revenge damage
Rune of Fate (anything) revenge Evade bonus
Rune of Mead (anything) perception
Rune of Reinforcement (armour) PF
Rune of Retribution (anything) revenge damage
Rune of Shielding (armour) Parry
Rune of Storms (weapon) Damage and pierce

There's not a lot of cross-over, here. I don't see any problem with anything stacking. I'm sure there are more runes in other books, but even just taking from the CRB, those are fine.

I love the Galdr.

//Panjumanju
--
"What strength!! But don't forget there are many guys like you all over the world."
User avatar
Panjumanju
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:38 am

Re: questions about Galdr passive skills + dual wield

Post by Panjumanju »

Let me do this properly, and not in the middle of the night...
Fusrodah wrote:Hi, so the Galdr can put runes on his equipment as passive skills. it's not very clear in the book so I'm asking here
Yes.
Fusrodah wrote:- can you wear more than 1 rune at once on several pieces of gear ?
Yes.
Fusrodah wrote:- do they disappear upon trigger ?
If you drew them with your finger, yes. If you carved them or tattooed them, no.
Fusrodah wrote:- blood rune seems a bit OP, like all of your stun bar + 3 hp healed, isn't that a lot of health regen ?


In practice it's not so bad. The Galdr is pretty hard to put down, anyway.
Fusrodah wrote:- does runes of storm or explosion trigger on top of using a skill like thundering blow for example ?
Yes. I don't remember Rune of Explosion off to the top of my head, but if it's also a Passive and the conditions are met, or if it's an Active and you're paying a rune, then sure - one exploring storming thundering blow coming up.
Fusrodah wrote:- do you guys put a material cost to inscribing the rune on the gear?
No. Unless you wanted to start getting creative about it, I suppose.

And typically Galdrs don't go around showcasing their runes. It's not like there's a big rune across your chest like you're Superman. A rune to enchant armour is probably on the onside, along the colar. I suppose you could make a character that's really showy about their runes, but that would draw unwanted attention.
Fusrodah wrote:- can you put several runes on a same piece of equipment ?
Yes.
Fusrodah wrote:-*sub question
- how does dual wield works with sizes and attacks ?
Just go for it. Cinematic Actions. One rune per action. Hack with your left-hand axe? One rune. Hack with your right-hand axe? One rune, and so on and so forth.
Fusrodah wrote:- can you put 1 rune on each of your 1 handed weapons ? making it a double rune attack ?
Put your runes on as many things as you like, as many times as you like, and as many different runes as you like. Active Powers need a rune on wyrding to activate. Passive Powers need their conditions met. The structure is a lot more accomodating than perhaps you're thinking.
Fusrodah wrote:thanks !
You're welcome. I'm sorry it took so many posts. I was sleepiy last night. I hope this one is clearer.

//Panjumanju
--
"What strength!! But don't forget there are many guys like you all over the world."
Fusrodah
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Re: questions about Galdr passive skills + dual wield

Post by Fusrodah »

Thanks a lot for the answer ! It must have taken you quite some time to write all of this

I will consider doing some homeruling about dual wielding that will not make the attack stronger but simply more cimematic

Bests !
User avatar
andrew
Posts: 1250
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 am
Contact:

Re: questions about Galdr passive skills + dual wield

Post by andrew »

Fusrodah wrote:Hi,


*sub question
- how does dual wield works with sizes and attacks ?

- can you put 1 rune on each of your 1 handed weapons ? making it a double rune attack ?

thanks !
When you play a rune to perform an attack action, you are using your entire body to attack, so assume both arms are engaged. So dual wielders would strike with both weapons, summing DF and Pierce. Some shields have DF, so they would apply. Same goes for defend actions and weapons and shields with combined Parry.
Post Reply