Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:59 pm 

I know, maybe I'm quite annoying ... i do it for a living sometimes.

I just wondered in a discussion with my friends and future dwellers:
How exactly do enchantments work?

Do you "cast" them upon someone (or yourself) and they just work for the rest of all eternity? Or is it some "until end of combat" effect or similar? Can you cast one enchantment on as many targets as you wish, or does it only work for one at any given time? Can one dweller/denizen gain the same enchantment from different "casters" and the effect "amplifies"?

For rune enchantments that is quite clear after all the discussions here on the board, but maybe it is worth to sum it up in one thread:
Rune enchantments can be "cast" on as many targets/items as the "caster" can get his hands on, but they only work as long as the same enchantment (no matter by whom they are "cast") is at least 10' away. What buggs me, is the wording "... if an identical rune is played in 25'." That would only have an effect in combat, but how do i activate a passive (exept for Feats) in combat? Fast-painting/etching a runeword onto a surface in combat sounds ... tricky.

So, yeah, i'm a rules-junkie. But i'd like to have some opinions on that from more expierienced norns/dwellers before discussing this with some of my more notorious players. Stating rules matter-of-factly is just so much more relaxing, i can tell you.

Thank you for the support.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:58 pm 

Screwdesign.Unc wrote:
I know, maybe I'm quite annoying ... i do it for a living sometimes.

I just wondered in a discussion with my friends and future dwellers:
How exactly do enchantments work?

Do you "cast" them upon someone (or yourself) and they just work for the rest of all eternity? Or is it some "until end of combat" effect or similar? Can you cast one enchantment on as many targets as you wish, or does it only work for one at any given time? Can one dweller/denizen gain the same enchantment from different "casters" and the effect "amplifies"?

For rune enchantments that is quite clear after all the discussions here on the board, but maybe it is worth to sum it up in one thread:
Rune enchantments can be "cast" on as many targets/items as the "caster" can get his hands on, but they only work as long as the same enchantment (no matter by whom they are "cast") is at least 10' away. What buggs me, is the wording "... if an identical rune is played in 25'." That would only have an effect in combat, but how do i activate a passive (exept for Feats) in combat? Fast-painting/etching a runeword onto a surface in combat sounds ... tricky.

So, yeah, i'm a rules-junkie. But i'd like to have some opinions on that from more expierienced norns/dwellers before discussing this with some of my more notorious players. Stating rules matter-of-factly is just so much more relaxing, i can tell you.

Thank you for the support.

no problem. you wouldn't be the first, and certainly won't be the last :)

The intent (and it says somewhere on the board) is that you get one instance of each enchantment per instance you have as a passive. If you have it once (and have a rune on it), you can do it once. two times, twice, etc. If you have rune of reinforcement and rune of retribution, you can do one of each.

I'm not currently aware of a way to get more than one instance of any of the runes on the Galdr board.

I've viewed the ability to imbue a rune into an object as not a physical modification. More just the ability to enchant an object. The rune, in this case, is flavor. I would activate it by having them spend a rune as a generic action to enchant an object, but that's my game. It would look almost like an anime where the the person chants or makes an action and glowing runes appear. Your game may vary, of course. I mostly didn't care because folks would run with them operating all the time, and I was fine with that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:55 am 

raleel wrote:
The intent (and it says somewhere on the board) is that you get one instance of each enchantment per instance you have as a passive. If you have it once (and have a rune on it), you can do it once. two times, twice, etc. If you have rune of reinforcement and rune of retribution, you can do one of each.

Thank you. That solves the quite confusing discussions in that case. So, one "Slot" of a rune enchantment gives the ability to have one inscribation of it active at any given time. (e.g. Rune of Reinforcement on my shield and on the armor of my compagnion, but only one of it can have an effect. To switch, i'd have to call that, maybe play the rune, if my group agrees to handle it that way, as you suggested) But if, somehow, i have another "Slot" of the same rune enchantment on my Active-Board, i could have two active at the same time (with the given limitations of rune enchantments). And if i would take Keen Aptitude and choose the "slot" with the rune enchantment, that just would stack its effect, not the numbers i could have active simultaneously.

Got that right, i guess.

And for the regular enchantments that would be the same, just without the rune-limitations?

And there are still questions left unanswered:
Do regular enchantments stop to work without the galdr "deactivating" them or recasting them on a new target, or do they just keep working until ever if there is nothing changed?
Are different instances/sources of the same enchantment (rune and/or regular) kumulative?
Are enchantments (rune and/or regular) disrupted, if the runes they are bound to go into Drain?

Well, to be honest, the first of those three i could answer myself with: As long as the Galdr who spoke it lives and doesn't recast it on another target, it's running perpetual.
That would fit with the setting.

But on the last two, i'd like to have your opinion. The argument "the developers/Admins statet ..." is just too good to let it pass. :D

cul8r, Screw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:23 am 

Screwdesign.Unc wrote:

And for the regular enchantments that would be the same, just without the rune-limitations?

correct. I don't know of anything that actually illustrates a difference between the feats and the enchantments (for example, an anti-magic zone), but that is correct

Screwdesign.Unc wrote:
And there are still questions left unanswered:
Do regular enchantments stop to work without the galdr "deactivating" them or recasting them on a new target, or do they just keep working until ever if there is nothing changed?

they just keep on working. "Enchantment" here doesn't indicate any impermanence. As I mention above, I don't know of anything that shuts them off, though I imagine you could easily do something like this in your game. by and large, I tend to view it as a flavor distinction rather than a mechanical one.

Screwdesign.Unc wrote:
Are different instances/sources of the same enchantment (rune and/or regular) kumulative?

yes, they are, though almost never present on a Dweller (PC) board. On a Denizen (NPC) board, this can happen pretty frequently. Take a look at Keen Aptitude for this - some denizen boards have many instances of keen aptitude.

Screwdesign.Unc wrote:
Are enchantments (rune and/or regular) disrupted, if the runes they are bound to go into Drain?

page 121 of the core book states - "Active and Passive powers cannot interact with the runes in Drain, so healing powers will only affect runes in the Death pile and above."

However, I'm pretty sure the intention of that is less about the power that it is bound to and more about powers affecting it externally, i.e. someone using an active/passive power on you to allow you to move that out. We've always played that way, and it gave a bit of teeth to Drain.

Screwdesign.Unc wrote:
Well, to be honest, the first of those three i could answer myself with: As long as the Galdr who spoke it lives and doesn't recast it on another target, it's running perpetual.
That would fit with the setting.

But on the last two, i'd like to have your opinion. The argument "the developers/Admins statet ..." is just too good to let it pass. :D

cul8r, Screw

well, just to be clear, I'm neither an admin on the board, nor a developer. I just happen to have asked most of these questions before and gotten answers :) I've been doing questions on here for at least 3 years at this point :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:01 pm 

raleel wrote:
correct. I don't know of anything that actually illustrates a difference between the feats and the enchantments (for example, an anti-magic zone), but that is correct

Ok, now that irritates me greatly ...
A Feat is something a dweller/denizen unlocks for him/herself. An Enchantment is something a dweller/denizen unlocks to imbue on him/herself OR another dweller/denizen where it then works like a Feat until the originating dweller/denizen. Or do i get something completely wrong here?
raleel wrote:
Screwdesign.Unc wrote:

yes, they are, though almost never present on a Dweller (PC) board. On a Denizen (NPC) board, this can happen pretty frequently. Take a look at Keen Aptitude for this - some denizen boards have many instances of keen aptitude.

I mean, under the premise i just mentioned, if enchantments from different dwellers/denizens imbued on one single dweller denizen will act kumulatively.
raleel wrote:
well, just to be clear, I'm neither an admin on the board, nor a developer. I just happen to have asked most of these questions before and gotten answers :) I've been doing questions on here for at least 3 years at this point :)

So I got the feeling I'm moving in to act as you heir here ... well, the show must go on, doesn't it?

cul8r, Screw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:18 pm 

Screwdesign.Unc wrote:
raleel wrote:

Ok, now that irritates me greatly ...
A Feat is something a dweller/denizen unlocks for him/herself. An Enchantment is something a dweller/denizen unlocks to imbue on him/herself OR another dweller/denizen where it then works like a Feat until the originating dweller/denizen. Or do i get something completely wrong here?

I don't think there is anything that actually says runes can go on other players. Now, it's been discussed on the boards many times, and I've always been under that assumption. I've played that way.

Enchantments without the Rune descriptor, as far as I am aware, have never been stated to be applicable to other players, nor discussed

I think the easiest solution is:

feats are non-magical and can't be taken away by removing magic
enchantments are magical and can be taken away by removing magic in some fashion
runes add an additional restriction on proximity to each other.

nothing else :)

Screwdesign.Unc wrote:
raleel wrote:
Screwdesign.Unc wrote:

I mean, under the premise i just mentioned, if enchantments from different dwellers/denizens imbued on one single dweller denizen will act kumulatively.

right. they are cumulative. Largely everything in the game is cumulative, positive or negative.

Screwdesign.Unc wrote:
raleel wrote:

So I got the feeling I'm moving in to act as you heir here ... well, the show must go on, doesn't it?

cul8r, Screw

one way or the other. always nice to have more folks to discuss these things with