Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: The "Gear" issue
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:44 pm 

So there I am and write together the facts of all my players characters, and then i stumble over those litte "gear" and "tools of the trade" thingies ...

Tools of the trade is something tricky, because for some proficiencies that is worth an interesting discussion between Norn and players, so it would be nice to have some opinions on that. For example, the hunter/trapper, does he/she have a bow (for hunting) and an axe (for cutting wood for traps) as "tools of the trade"?

My special trouble-kid is "all items that would be found in a more luxurious lifestyle" and the pendant in "Lord Gear". Now what should i think of that? Is that weapons and armor included? Maybe a mount, too?

Sure, that all is quite on the Norn and the players, but i could use some guidelines to get my own ideas in line.

Thanks for your help.

cul8r, Screw

Post subject: Re: The "Gear" issue
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:03 pm 

I would like the players and Norns to chime in, but as a design goal of the game, FOTNR isn't about small details like a tool or counting your arrows. It's about creating epic adventures and glorious memories. You can assume that starting dwellers have the tools needed for their trades, now start creating epic moments in their lives! This point is obviously trumped by a specific story designed by the Norn (ex: a story that requires the players to start as slaves with no possessions).

Enjoy! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:12 pm 

That's really in the not going to sweat it territory for me. That stuff is easy to take if it's a problem, and largely not critical to the story unless you are running a very specific kind of story. My group I told them to take what's non-magical gear they wanted and didn worry about it. Even horses.

Unless bear shortages are important to your story, I'd let it be. This is not a time of counting hand axes this is a time of counting notches in your axe head!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:23 am 

Yeah, thought so. But i like to have answers for my players before they start to run rampage on the power-gamer-ladder.

Of course i see FotNR as pure Power-Game-RPG, but i also know some of my players, who always like to dominate the whole group with their characters awesomeness and give a *not nice word* about story and atmosphere. Sure, i can just kick them out of the group, but i like to avoid this an try to have answers for them, they can live with.

Thank you anyhow, maybe some other users have some suggestions still.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:01 am 

Yea, there is a certain mechanical aspect to FOTNR that really appeals to the power gamer. It has discrete powers. It has plenty of numbers as a measure of success, and that gives a concrete feel that appears to power gamers. It has the rune economy which provides lots of optimization and analysis opportunities. There are some neat little tricks buried in it that gives you the feeling of secret knowledge too.

Speaking as a semi-reformed power gamer with at least a couple in my group. Several of us do analysis or programming for a living, so optimization is more than a little bit of a thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:49 pm 

The game system was designed for both extremes and everyone in between.

http://www.fateofthenorns.com/howtoplay/

This is a work in progress page (Raleel thanks for the feedback) and will work to showcase the versatility of RGS.

Chall did bring up a point from the narrative perspective, if you try to evoke your spells in a more story driven way, you will lack range in most cases since a strictly narrative player won't want to fiddle with metas. The quick solution here is to allow them to add "aspects" to spells by paying a minor sacrifice. You're not saving a ton on crunch, but it can help.