Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Contingency question
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:49 pm 

Hi,

how exactly does declaration of Contingency actions/runes work?

Rulebook states that when putting runes into Contingency, you have to state a trigger condition under which the rune chain in Contingency will be played.

When stating the condition trigger, do you also have to declare what you will be using the rune chain in Contingency for?

Example: I play a rune in Contingecy which is mapped to an Active power/attack. I declare the rune chain will be used when an enemy comes into 1 hex distance to me. When the enemy arrives, I could theoretically use the rune to attack, or I could play it for a generic Move action.

Do I need to declare in advance whether I will be using the rune for its mapped Active power (or any specific Generic action) or do I get to choose as soon as the trigger condition is fulfilled?

Post subject: Re: Contingency question
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:18 pm 

Three examples:

Play a rune into contingency and state: "when an enemy moves within 10' of where I am standing, I will take a Move action"

Play (into contingency) a root rune for a Power over Wind and another rune next to it for a range meta and state: "If any enemy gets within 5' of any of my allies, I cast this spell on them"

Play a rune into contingency and state: "If I get wounded, I will quaff a healing potion"

If your contingency never comes up, then you must return the runes to your Essence bag during the cleanup phase.

You do not need to state your contingency too specifically, but you do need to state what the runes will be used for. Also you cannot abuse the contingency action to virtually go second in initiative. For example, the Norn should over-rule someone who is low in the initiative rank and looks to piggy-back on whomever is going first and laying out three actions with a condition stating: "if this guy moves or does anything, I do the following..."

Basically use good judgement and you and your group will find the sweet spot for detail and use.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:24 pm 

HI HI! Online at the same time! ^^

I know Andrew's convention demoz omit the contingency and drain piles for first timers. So maybe you guys can try going without for the first play? :) :) :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:07 pm 

andrew wrote:
Play (into contingency) a root rune for a Power over Wind and another rune next to it for a range meta and state: "If any enemy gets within 5' of any of my allies, I cast this spell on them".

Follow-up question: Do I have to say which spell it is? Or is it enough to state "the spell this rune is linked with"?

As you essentially know what other characters do in their Contingency, do you also automatically know all their Active Powers even before they have used them once they declare them as Contingency actions? The element of surprise can be a rather strong tactical advantage, you know, and knowing in advance that your opponent can make an attack with a +4 Pierce may make you think twice about engaging said enemy in close combat...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:31 pm 

I am used to running a lot of demos where I don't hide my runes behind a Norn screen. And I tend to declare everything I do so everyone can follow along. But in my home games, I'm behind a screen, I mutter something about contingency under my breath to spook my players and keep the suspense high. They get back at me by declaring vaguely that a rune is either a generic action or an active rune chain with a clearly articulated condition. And of course you play your monsters with an intellect level that befits them, so some will blindly ignore the fact that players have contingencies up that trigger on their possible locations, and other (boss) monsters will consider each and every contingency from a perspective that they see some prep for a spell or a wind-up.

A

ps. Heya Lisa! :)