Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Special Denizens?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:41 pm 

I recently picked up the FOTN:R rulebook, and wanted to run it for my players, but when doing the prep work for the saga in the book I encountered a problem; I can't find the special denizen entry that it suggests using for most of the important denizens! Please help! It, referenced at the top of page 322, and, as far as I can tell, nowhere else. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Am I missing something?

Post subject: Re: Special Denizens?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:16 pm 

You know, I can't find any reference other than in the entries for the people who are supposed to use it :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:52 pm 

Has anyone run this saga, and are they able to offer any insight on how they handled this?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:17 pm 

We played through Egil's without issue... in fact we had a really uber ending! Hold on let me get my book..........................

...okaaayyy page 21 you have 3 denizen types that you build using "grizzled warrior". The last batch of special characters are also "grizzled warriors" with the exception of Egil who gets access to 4 types of boards.

I've played this saga run by 2 different Norns and I know they took their time creating the denizens since Gunnhild was a Seithkona in both games. In all honesty a level 18 will destroy level 9's. They are not meant for fights, and that's why they are "special". If they are to fight, make sure players get to the unconscious state without killing them (last rune stops in Wounds and waits for more damage before descending to Death on the playmat). If you want to write them up, "Grizzled Warrior" is fine, but you can also custom them:
King - Ulhednar
Queen - Seithkona
Bard - Gladr
Olvir - Skald

Hey good luck, and if you have more questions drop by, you'll find many helpful voices!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:28 pm 

Thanks! I was wondering if that might have been the intention, but I didn't want to inadvertently unbalance the saga (since I am still trying to figure out exactly how game balance works here). I look forward to forging grand epochs with my players!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:48 am 

Bro, since it's your first game, keep them all Grizzled Warriors, even Gunnhild. You will feel a lot more comfortable with all your key denizens being a template you are using throughout the saga. There will be plenty of time in future sagas to mix it up!

Peace