Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:14 pm 

So, after having bought the rulebook shortly after its release, I'm finally starting to run some games. We had some difficulties in the first few games, since some of my players don't speak english at all, and for the Norn to go from english to french and back again for every action kind of hurts the flow of the game.

Therefore, I took some time to translate the whole rulebook from english to french. That took me about 2 months, but it was worth it :).

In addition, I made rune sets out of polymer clay, with custom hand-knitted rune bags, courtesy of Mrs Ragnur.

Since I don't have the money right now to buy dozens of miniatures, I went for the super-cheap 2D paper option. Not the most beautiful thing ever, but at least we can play on the hex mat!

Each player has his/her own Active/Passive/Skills booklet, with the archetype tables, so that they always know which power is which, and keep their character sheets a bit cleaner.
Finally, to help my inexperienced players, I added some sliders to the play mats, that describe the conditions and the penalties they should apply when they are affected.

(kinda blurry, sorry about that)

I'm pretty happy with this setup so far, except for the miniatures things, but that'll change when I can buy some proper ones and paint them. Now, time to run some more games and gain some experience as a norn!

By the way, if you guys ever want to publish FOTN:R in foreign countries, I can send you the files for the french translation I made; it's not perfect, but I think it's a good start :).

Cheers, and see you on Vigrids Plain!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:45 pm 

That looks great! That's quite the impressive amount of work.

What size are your playmats and runes?

Mrs Ragnur kicks ass for making that bag. Nicely done.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:52 pm 

Ragnur, that's really AMAZING work!

We have a local store that is also a French book distributor and they have been asking me for a translation. I will send you a message so we can discuss.

WELL DONE! Merci! :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:40 pm 

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Raleel, my playmats are printed on A4 sheets (210x297mm, I don't know if you have those in the US or Canada), and my runes are about 20x15 mm. And Mrs Ragnur says thank you :)

I'll send you an email right away, Andrew ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:41 pm 

Thanks. We do have A4. And my own runes are almost exactly that size, so that helps me know the right size to go with. I was thinking our own letter size seemed just a smidgen short.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:44 pm 

So, the first game went well :) the 2 players I convinced were quite happy (yeah, only 2, but I'm learning the ropes as well, so I prefer a small group to start with).

Ale was poured, blood was shed, shields were split, and many skulls rolled in the snow, until an evil beast straight from Jotunheim teleported in our room and wreaked havoc on our playmats and miniatures.

Still, we managed to clear the rubble and finish the game. I'll need to boost the difficulty of the next encounters: the Galdr in the group made short work of all those NPCs with his trusty Ice Aura (does yelling cold-related puns and one-liners after each kill count towards resurrecting in the Heavens?)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:23 am 

Very Cool! Looks like it was a lot of fun, you're just missing some warm mead! ^^
Is the cat Jormundgandr from the prose Edda? Hihihi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:31 pm 

So, Egil's saga was played today, and good times were had by everyone. They sided with Erik at the beginning, chased down Egil, then decided to switch sides and flee with him. King Erik will probably be quite crossed with them if they ever try to sail to Norveig :)

And introducing new, freshly painted miniatures! From left to right: Seithkona, Skald, Galdr, Ulfhednar and Maiden of Ratatosk.

I'm also taking part in a french RPG convention later this year, in order to present FOTN and spread the word. Hopefully by then I'll have all the miniatures bought and painted :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:44 pm 

You do fantastic stuff, man. I'm impressed!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:40 am