Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Would you like to resolve large scale battles using a card game?
Yes 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Maybe, tell me more 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:43 pm 

As some of you may have already heard, we have a new collectible card game (CCG) in the works. It's called Vigridr and it will have pre-made decks for all of the kings of Midgard (which includes their armies, quests, lands, relics, etc). Originally the game was to be 100% stand alone like Gulveig. However the design process is involving a possible new direction and synnergy with the FOTNR RPG. Right now the plot lines for King Harald's throne are ripe for massive combats where armies clash on the battlefield. Resolving such large scale conflicts with the RGS would be very difficult. We're thinking of keeping Vigridr a stand alone game, but to also add a bridge that allows the RPG to flow into the card game. Have a conflict brewing and need to resolve it? Break out the decks that are outlined in the saga and play out the scenes. The resulting state of the various missions (which can be customized based on your own story) at the end of the Vigrid game can then be fed back into your RPG campaign. You could also play a game of Vigridr before you embark on a brand new RPG campaign, and use the output of the game to set the scene for your RPG setting. The missions/quests are a great narrative tool so far, and we could aim to make them better.

The design of such a system wouldn't be trivial, so before we would embark on such an angle, we'd like you, our players to tell us if there would be an interest for such a tie-in. Let us know! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:24 pm 

With what little bit of info there is, I think it sounds very promising. I'd have to know more about it before hand, though.

One thing I imagine would be a must for my players is some way for their dwellers to have a direct impact on the events being resolved with the cards. If they are involved in the battle, that is. Although, without direct dweller involvement, I would probably just resolve massive battles in a narrative way that best suited the story and kept things interesting

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 pm 

I think mostly for the sake of the story I prefer to direct outcome of that a little bit more> it's not that I might not do something like this, but I think I prefer a lighter hand in between systems.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:50 pm 

If it catches the feel of the battles described in the Saga of the Jomsvikings or Egil's Saga where his brother dies, then great!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:50 am 

I personally find the concept intriguing.

There are few possible applications being considered. Several of the initial game design elements lend themselves well to act as a narrative bridge- namely the missions & quests. They bring phased and evolving story elements to the table. In the card game they act as the core mechanic for asymmetrical win conditions. In "narrative" mode, depending on how they advance, they would have a direct correlation back to your adventure. Missions and quests have 2-6 phases and each phase could be assigned by the Norn to have a direct and very specific implication on the campaign (rather than some generic implication). The units are both generic (ie. wolves and soldiers) and very specific (ie. Haakon the Good champion card). The player archetypes are also represented in the Vigridr game, but I'm not entirely sure how the players themselves would participate... there are a few ways to skin this cat.

One player suggested playing out flashbacks and afterlife with Vigridr. Another thought was an extra story related activity that players with more time could do while those without much time just invest in the bi-weekly RPG sessions. So between sessions, the players that have more time available could get together for a few games, the Norn would set the parameters of their game and then they would report the results. Those results would feed back to the weekly RPG game giving those with more time an extra sense of accomplishment without making the time pressed players feel like they missed an RPG game session.

Vigridr continues to get refined in time for the GenCon show sneak-peek, but we're looking at the long haul and how Vigridr could better serve the entire FOTN ecosystem. All your feedback will be much appreciated. Oh and more will be revealed about Vigridr as we near the sneak-peek date! :-)