Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: TvTropes page?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:56 pm 

For those who don't know, TvTropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage) is a wiki listing lots and lots of tropes ("devices and conventions that a writer can reasonably rely on as being present in the audience members' minds and expectations") in various media, as well as examples of them in different works.

It has a fairly large userbase, so I think that creating a page for FOTN (and listing the associated tropes) might help the game, with at worst a little more recognition, and at best thousands of newly converted fans killing each other in gruesome ways to be the first to buy the books.

Anyway, if you think it's a good idea, I'll start making a tropes list, and we can create the page once we have a good number of them :)

Post subject: Re: TvTropes page?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:41 am 

I have known and read TVTropes for a long while. It is a fascinating site, and making a FOTN:R page there is a great idea. It will not only be entertaining and informative, it will also double as a nice explanation of what kind of campaign fits well with the system.

I take it that you want to make a preview of sorts here in this thread for a bit of maturation? Although truth be told, it is easy enough to make that in TVTropes itself as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:44 am 

Yeah, I thought we could discuss the examples and their description here, instead of anonymously going to he wiki itself and editing/counter-editing everything. Of course, it'll have to be done eventually, but I think a bit of preparation here couldn't hurt ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:50 am 

So without further ado, a first set of potential tropes! We'll need lots more, and a general description, but it's a start :)

Another Dimension: each world of Yggdrasil is its own separate dimension.

Anti-Magic: two identical runes played too close to each other cancel their effects.

Asskicking Equals Authority: this is a Viking universe after all...

Be Careful What You Wish For: sure, you can ask a God or Jotun to help you in your fight. But beware if you make them angry in the process...

Blinded by the Light: The Immortal's Brillance power makes the caster appear almost as brilliant as the sun, with this result for opponents. Some Immortal characters can also summon pillars of fire from the sky, with predictable results.

Blood Knight: warriors who wants to go to the Heavens have to die gloriously in battle, so this trope applies a lot in the setting.

Body Horror: The Rend Flesh spell creates "small, deformed mouths on the surface of the victim's skin. The teeth begin to devour the flesh and insides".

Crapsack World: Midgard: The Sun and Moon have disappeared, no crops will ever grow, people kill each other for any reason, most of the landmasses are uninhabitable due to the cold, and angry monsters/gods/giants/immortal warriors are on the loose.

- Oh, and since this is Ragnarok, everything and everyone still alive will burn to death at the end, except a few chosen beings.

Divine Parentage: some of the biggest dynastic families (Yngling, Volsung) come from the union of a mortal woman and an Asgardian God.

Half Human Hybrid: characters with the Troll-Blood perk.

Holier Than Thou: standard behaviour of the White God Crusaders: convert, or die by the sword.

Horny Vikings: what the game is all about. Well, that and the End of the World as we know it.

Kill It with Fire: Lots of spells can do this to your enemies. Fire Jotuns also tend to do that to people. To top it off, Surt will do that to the whole world(s).

Kill It with Ice: Lots of spells and auras. And pissed off Rime Jotuns.

Knight Templar: The Crusaders of the White God.

Kraken and Leviathan: The Polar Kraken is one of the most fearsome foes in the setting.

Our Dwarves are All the Same: the Dvergar: small? Check. Affinity for gold and other riches? Check. Fantastic blacksmiths? Check. Hold grudges for a very long time? Check.

Musical Assassin: the Skald (bard) class can devour your thoughts by singing.

Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Erik BloodAxe, Viking king.

New Game +: sort of. If your character dies and goes to the afterlife to become an immortal warrior, you might get to play him/her again, with added superpowers.

Second Hour Superpower: The Ulfhednar, who can turn into a enraged, horse sized, blood-drinking wolf pretty much from the get go.

Super Toughness: Game mechanics allow Immortal Warriors to, among other things, stand in fire without suffering any consequences.

Taking over the World (Midgard): the basic plan of the White God Crusaders

Ultimate Blacksmith: basically every member of the Dvergar race, particularly Brokk and his brother.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:06 pm 

Seeing the overwhelming *cough*success*cough* of this thread, I went ahead and created the whole thing on my own :) here's the link, feel free to complete it to TvTropes standards: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/T ... nsRagnarok

let's hope it will get more people interested in FOTN!