Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:48 pm 

All the classes (or Archetypes, whatever, same thing) are wizards, other than the one Rogue-type class (that's restricted to female characters for some reason?). Why didn't you include any Fighter classes? Seriously, the class choices are Female rogue, Werewolf, Wizard who uses songs to do magic, Wizard who uses runes to do magic, and Wizard who uses spirits to do magic. If I'm going to play a game about being badass Viking warriors, I want to be a badass Viking warrior, not a werewolf or a wizard or some shit like that.

I mean, there's the Grizzled Warrior and Crusader NPC classes that'd be easy enough to convert to PC classes (even if they both do have the ability to dabble a little in magic, it's not a central to their concept as it is for the various wizard-classes), since you'd just need to invent what powers/skills their Void Rune would be bound to, but that's still just using a house rule to cover over a hole in the rules; just because you can fix a problem with Rule 0 doesn't mean that there isn't a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:40 am 

You can choose not to play a werewolf if you don't want to, just don't bind any runes to the shapeshifting powers, and you end up with an Ulfhednar with powers like "raging charge", "raging attack", "reckless thundering blow", "death charge", etc.

Sounds pretty warrior-y for me :) especially with the Rager specialization. Berserk? Check. Lots of attacks? Check. Badass Viking Warrior? Check, check, check.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:37 am 

Ragnur wrote:
You can choose not to play a werewolf if you don't want to, just don't bind any runes to the shapeshifting powers, and you end up with an Ulfhednar with powers like "raging charge", "raging attack", "reckless thundering blow", "death charge", etc.

Sounds pretty warrior-y for me :) especially with the Rager specialization. Berserk? Check. Lots of attacks? Check. Badass Viking Warrior? Check, check, check.

Yeah, but then you're ignoring the entire point of the class. It's like saying, "Sure, your wizard can be a warrior! All you have to do is avoid casting any spells!"

So, I decided to try writing up the specialities of the Crusader, going by the themes of the active/passive powers (and, yeah, the name "Hospitaller" is anachronistic since the Order of Knights Hospitaller wasn't founded until the 11th Century, but I couldn't think of a better word to describe "knight who heals people", and it's not the only anachronistic speciality name, like how two of the Maiden's specialities are derived from Latin). Thoughts?

Code:
Knight-Errant          Cavalier                    Hospitaller
Physical               Mental                     Spiritual
Power Attack        Formulating Attack          Invigorate Spirit
Favors Offense     Combat Maneuverability       Companion in Life
Endurance            Animal Empathy              Repair Equipment

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:48 pm 

In my experience, none of the classes fall into the warrior, wizard, rogue class paradigm (yes, I used that word). Every archetype this game has contains elements of warrior, wizard, and rogue. I will admit that some archetypes have an easier time going in one particular direction ~ the Seithkona for example has a very tough time being a warrior, while the Ulfhednar has a tough time being a wizard.

As for how you build your character. I love the way you can have a few players with the same archetype but they're all different. Examples:
Skald
One player can focus on spell songs ~ healing the party and/or dealing mental damage
One player can focus on mobile attack actions - lunging strike, stealthy striker, crazy physical damage with weapons, etc.
One player can focus on parrying & adding/removing conditions - Protector and the entire column just next to the rightmost fylgia column.

nick012000 wrote:
Yeah, but then you're ignoring the entire point of the class. It's like saying, "Sure, your wizard can be a warrior! All you have to do is avoid casting any spells!"

A wizard that ignores spells becomes weak and pretty much useless. An Ulfhednar that doesn't become a Bloodwolf is still a badass.

As for gender locking: Archetypes don't lock you into anything, they mainly describe the most common members of that archetype. I have seen, probably the one and only, "Master of Ratatosk" in my game. Another suggestion for what to call his class was Bachelor of Ratatosk.

Now on to the idea you suggested:
Knight Errant seems to be about dishing out damage ~ Have you considered Versatile Combat Maneuver? With this, he can attack slightly better or he can parry slightly better. If you go with this idea, I'd suggest buffing the bonus to +2 and call it Eternal Knight (or something similarly puntastic that works for you).

Cavalier seems to be about riding ~ I'd look at how Familiars and Effigies work, and then give him one of those as a Warhorse. Oddly enough, Combat Maneuverability doesn't work so well if you're riding something.

Hospitaller is, well, like you said, a knight who heals people ~ There are much better healing spells than Invigorate Spirit. I know it gives Evade and Spiritual PF, but still...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:16 pm 

It is my hope that Denizens of the North will at least flesh out the Other Archetypes on pages 180 to 183 into full fledged player character options. I think I remember a couple of these being available in playtest and convention games.

A Galdr who chooses the Enchanter specialization and optimizes for close combat is very bit as much a bad ass Viking warrior as an Ulfhednar. They just achieve it differently.

The runes are part and parcel of the FOTN world. Everything is bound to runes and runes influence everything. Even a "pure" fighter type is going to be using runes to activate his combat powers in play. It is a very different mindset to most fantasy games.