Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Forum rules


No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:48 pm
Posts: 163
So, only moments ago I stumbled across the vignette The Fire Wolf Hunts Four Demons in Lords of the Ash. I had no idea there was another canon/published chapter in the Cornerstone of the World arc! I'm both incredibly happy and almost dizzy with all of the ideas swirling through my head. :p My Dwellers are just a few encounters into the Cornerstone of the World vignette in DotN and are level 14. They've sided strongly with the "forces of the wild" in/around Evingard. Their strongest allies have been Ivar, Astrid, Halfdan, Jadvyg, and Sven. They've also forged lasting beneficial relationships with the Hrokkvir and the aquatic fey 'kingdom' I've created for my game. (I'll actually post my custom lore for that in a thread, actually!) They have a good idea of the political climate of Evingard, the factions, and status quo of relationships. Right now I have the state of internal political strife set to a "hard simmer" so to speak. Ivar's given the group enough knowledge and speculation about what's going on with Dreki and how Ingvar/Magnus are clearly involved in everything going to shit that they are almost certainly going push Ivar & Co's agenda as the future unfolds. With this in mind, I'm setting things up assuming that they successfully cleanse the mines and fully restore Dreki.

After a period of politicking and social questing, I'm going to set the mine and the surrounding land up as the first crossroads/central location for the "anti-urban" forces – Ivar, the Hrokkvir of the area (who have lineages and such!), Halfdan's followers, etc. I imagine it won't take much on the Dwellers' behalf to persuade Magnus & Co. From giving up the site without violence (at least, at first.) Ivar's going to relocate his Inner Sanctum basically right in Dreki's chamber. Halfdan's going to become the new recipient of Dreki's bond. All of this will be first and foremost to protect Dreki and the Cornerstone of the World.

So, now that I've babbled on with more background information than I originally intended, I finally will ask:

How would Dreki feel about the various forces and assaults on the Cornerstone as laid out in The Fire Wolf Hunts Four Demons? As I've described above, my Dwellers really seem to be pro-nature/Vaettir/balance more than anything else. So, I imagine that might align them more with the Vanir. In the First Assault blip, it says that Almattki is open to cohabitation of the Cornerstone. Would Dreki himself encourage this?

Also, how would he feel about the idea of the Dwellers doing anything that even resembles tampering with the seals leading to Hvergelmir? I imagine he would have negative knee-jerk reaction to the idea given what he will have just gone through (to put it mildly.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1214
dafelsheim wrote:
So, only moments ago I stumbled across the vignette The Fire Wolf Hunts Four Demons in Lords of the Ash. I had no idea there was another canon/published chapter in the Cornerstone of the World arc! I'm both incredibly happy and almost dizzy with all of the ideas swirling through my head. :p My Dwellers are just a few encounters into the Cornerstone of the World vignette in DotN and are level 14. They've sided strongly with the "forces of the wild" in/around Evingard. Their strongest allies have been Ivar, Astrid, Halfdan, Jadvyg, and Sven. They've also forged lasting beneficial relationships with the Hrokkvir and the aquatic fey 'kingdom' I've created for my game. (I'll actually post my custom lore for that in a thread, actually!) They have a good idea of the political climate of Evingard, the factions, and status quo of relationships. Right now I have the state of internal political strife set to a "hard simmer" so to speak. Ivar's given the group enough knowledge and speculation about what's going on with Dreki and how Ingvar/Magnus are clearly involved in everything going to shit that they are almost certainly going push Ivar & Co's agenda as the future unfolds. With this in mind, I'm setting things up assuming that they successfully cleanse the mines and fully restore Dreki.

After a period of politicking and social questing, I'm going to set the mine and the surrounding land up as the first crossroads/central location for the "anti-urban" forces – Ivar, the Hrokkvir of the area (who have lineages and such!), Halfdan's followers, etc. I imagine it won't take much on the Dwellers' behalf to persuade Magnus & Co. From giving up the site without violence (at least, at first.) Ivar's going to relocate his Inner Sanctum basically right in Dreki's chamber. Halfdan's going to become the new recipient of Dreki's bond. All of this will be first and foremost to protect Dreki and the Cornerstone of the World.

So, now that I've babbled on with more background information than I originally intended, I finally will ask:

How would Dreki feel about the various forces and assaults on the Cornerstone as laid out in The Fire Wolf Hunts Four Demons? As I've described above, my Dwellers really seem to be pro-nature/Vaettir/balance more than anything else. So, I imagine that might align them more with the Vanir. In the First Assault blip, it says that Almattki is open to cohabitation of the Cornerstone. Would Dreki himself encourage this?

Also, how would he feel about the idea of the Dwellers doing anything that even resembles tampering with the seals leading to Hvergelmir? I imagine he would have negative knee-jerk reaction to the idea given what he will have just gone through (to put it mildly.)


I think Dreki would be very paranoid after the Snake Sigil curse. He would use the trusted allies (Halfdan, Ivar, etc) to keep the status quo. Any new forces arriving (Hildiolfr. Vargeisa, etc) threaten this return to peace and stability. Hvergelmir sealed is what 99% of the universe wants, so Vargeisa is going to use all her deception to complete her quest. While she uses soft force, Hildolfr will come like a tempest. In my story arc, he financed Magnus and wants Magnus back in charge, so in your world, the Battle Wolves would side with the city folk (Evingard).

If they ally themselves with the Vanir, and seek to bring the Vanir into the picture, Vargeisa can use that as a vehicle to get the first key from Vanagard (with the dwellers as unwitting pawns). The rest she will need to achieve by using any of the hooks outlined in the 1st Vignette. Angrboda can also assist in tremendous ways. The Fire Wolf may also wish that the Battle Wolves win at the cornerstone, only to then rally the nature forces to ally with her in taking them out (but not before she has all 4 keys).

Sounds like your game table is about to embark on something truly epic! Good luck and keep us posted. :)

_________________
Image
https://twitter.com/avalkauskas
https://www.patreon.com/fateofthenorns


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:48 pm
Posts: 163
andrew wrote:
I think Dreki would be very paranoid after the Snake Sigil curse. He would use the trusted allies (Halfdan, Ivar, etc) to keep the status quo. Any new forces arriving (Hildiolfr. Vargeisa, etc) threaten this return to peace and stability. Hvergelmir sealed is what 99% of the universe wants, so Vargeisa is going to use all her deception to complete her quest. While she uses soft force, Hildolfr will come like a tempest. In my story arc, he financed Magnus and wants Magnus back in charge, so in your world, the Battle Wolves would side with the city folk (Evingard).


This is kind of what I was figuring. In my head it would definitely climb to the level of martial conflict. I'm just not sure, chronologically, how to go about it. I know they'd first try to repel Hidolfir's forces, probably with the help of the Vanir.

andrew wrote:
If they ally themselves with the Vanir, and seek to bring the Vanir into the picture, Vargeisa can use that as a vehicle to get the first key from Vanagard (with the dwellers as unwitting pawns). The rest she will need to achieve by using any of the hooks outlined in the 1st Vignette. Angrboda can also assist in tremendous ways. The Fire Wolf may also wish that the Battle Wolves win at the cornerstone, only to then rally the nature forces to ally with her in taking them out (but not before she has all 4 keys).


The natural forces are probably going to set up camp at the Cornerstone before I start the Fire Wolf vignette. I suppose this would mean I should try to use the information/hooks in the printed material and twist them a little bit more towards manipulating the Dwellers & their allies to helping her in the name of the Vanir and Vaettir.

andrew wrote:
Sounds like your game table is about to embark on something truly epic! Good luck and keep us posted. :)


Thanks! You've definitely helped me with a bit of your input on Dreki. Will we be seeing any more information about other Vaettir in future materials?

I was going to make Denizens that were basically "Lesser Vaettir," a type for various biozones/environments. Mountain Vaettir, Forest Vaettir, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group