Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:00 am 

On page 101 of FotN there is this:
Quote:
{Rune Spell}: Rune Spells are a special spell type and add additional properties
to the Active ability that already has all {Spell} properties: a meta tag can be changed
from Range to Amplify and vice versa by paying a Minor Sacrifice +1 when activating
a rune chain.
Example: Jokull’s Power over Wind Active has the following metas: Amplify Range
Maintain. If Jokull only has two Physical runes for metas and needs a Range meta,
he can perform a Minor Sacrifice +1 and play one or both Physical runes for the Range
metas he needs.

I think I might be misunderstanding something based on the example.

If Jokull has 2 Physical runes, can't he Rune Morph the 2 Physical runes into the Mental rune he needs? Does he need to make the Minor Sacrifice given the details presented in the example?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:33 pm 

Quote:
If Jokull has 2 Physical runes, can't he Rune Morph the 2 Physical runes into the Mental rune he needs?

He can, as can anyone. So he'd convert 2 physical Runes into 1 Mental Rune.

Quote:
Does he need to make the Minor Sacrifice given the details presented in the example?

Not if he uses the "base" conversion that everyone can use.

BUT.....
what's special about Rune spells is, that you can ALSO change some Meta's of the spell:

In the Example, you may pay a Minor Sac+1 once to make Power over Wind's Meta's [Amplify -> Range] [Range] [Maintain]. So you can then use every Physical Rune as Range Meta.
Thus Jokull only has to use 1 of his Physical Runes to get a Range meta. He can also use 2 Physical runes to get 2 Range meta's if he wants to.
Basically with sheer willpower and a small blood sacrifice a Rune Spell caster does not need to spend multiple runes to convert into the right one.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:52 pm 

Thanks for the reply!

Also, I read some of the Rune Spells... and also compared Rune Spells to other types of Active Powers. It all became clearer!

FotN has so many little pieces. All of them are well thought out and make senses. But there are a lot of them! I think one has to get through the whole book, hold all the pieces in your head at one time. Only then, when you see all the pieces in relation to each other will each piece make sense.

But i can see how it is worth it... because everything is so well thought out! As I see the pieces fitting together I can see how they will fit together well.