Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Gryphcon 2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:54 am 

Hello

I've decided to run Egil's Saga (with the pre-generated characters) at Gryphcon 2019 this year. I ran the adventure with my group of newbies (we're all new!) and it finished in 4 hours, so I have some hope I'll not run over my slot. :)
If anyone has tips and tricks for running a game at a convention, especially with people who have never played before, I would really appreciate it. I'd love prize support too, but I think that's too much to ask. ;)

http://www.gryphcon.org/mygc.php

http://www.gryphcon.org/schedule.php?game=46

Post subject: Re: Gryphcon 2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:34 pm 

Wow 4 hours, well done! I even struggle to get the main plot line done in such a short time.

I would print out the 3 maps:
(1) Midgard: to give world situational context
(2) Islandia: to let the players know that they are in the desolate part of the island; that they missed the hot-spring region (south west)
(3) Evingard

I would also structure the game into 3 main fights:
(1) the thugs or competing quest group as the first fight, letting the players explore their powers and RGS
(2) the supernatural fight (ie. haugbui, trolls or zombears) as the scenario showing off a real threat
(3) the final battle to really have the players work together

I would avoid any of the side quests at this time: mine curse, zombear source, etc but you can have whispers of those as a backdrop to the main quest
alternatively
You can skip the main quest (if pressed for time) and instead focus on one of the side quests.
regardless
I would have both options prepped since players will be players

Also check out the Norn's Sanctum sub-forum, there's a bunch of tips for new Norns (like Essence = Destiny to simplify rune bag management)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

ps. If you have another Norn who is willing to tag-team this with you, you guys can setup the adventure as a massive end-boss-PvP. Simply put, run Fafnir's Treasure on 2 tables near one another and one Norn railroads only the Einherjar quest giver and the other Norn railroads the Son of Muspel option. Both Norns setup a code system to signal each other where they are in the story. My co-Norn and I used alka beads we'd set aside and add 1 each time our group made it to the next chapter in the quest. This way both tables are advancing at the same pace. Then when they both reach Skrynir from opposite banks of the river, ask the players to stand up and push the tables together and call for initiative!!! :twisted: The shocked faces and happy smiles are worth the effort. I think I've pulled this off only a handful of times and each time it was easily worth the extra effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:07 am 

Actually - I'm running Egil's Saga from the Core Book, not Fafnir's Treasure (though I may run that for my own group and let them wander down every side quest they want). :) Just using the Fafnir pre-gens to make it easier on me.

I finished Egil's Saga with my group and their own Dwellers that they made, they had a ton of fun. Somehow ended up talking Egil into facing the King AND getting the King to impose only a light punishment on Egil (all four players spoke on Egil's behalf, plus got Thorir to speak, and then I let the runes talk...they won. Heh). But Gunnhild is now their implacable enemy.

Thanks for the tips on Fafnir's Treasure though!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:29 pm 

Sandra Regina wrote:
Actually - I'm running Egil's Saga from the Core Book, not Fafnir's Treasure (though I may run that for my own group and let them wander down every side quest they want). :) Just using the Fafnir pre-gens to make it easier on me.

I finished Egil's Saga with my group and their own Dwellers that they made, they had a ton of fun. Somehow ended up talking Egil into facing the King AND getting the King to impose only a light punishment on Egil (all four players spoke on Egil's behalf, plus got Thorir to speak, and then I let the runes talk...they won. Heh). But Gunnhild is now their implacable enemy.

Thanks for the tips on Fafnir's Treasure though!

LOL I have no idea how I read Fafnir's Treasure and you wrote Egil's Saga! So sorry for that, what a brain-fart.

Egil's is a pretty straight forward adventure that is meant to evoke the style and feel of the FOTN:R world. Fight are few and far between, it's mostly an RP adventure since it's a party. My suggestion is to get a feel for the players at your table. Some players love crunchy mechanics and combat, so I would identify them and if there are players that fit that demographic, you add some extra conflict in the adventure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:24 pm 

Good idea, thanks. When I ran the scenario, they mostly talked their way out of things - but I set them up with a sea serpent fight and some physical barriers on the island for the combative ones.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:58 am 

Talked their way out of things? I'd like to have seen that! haha