Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Random Encounters
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:31 am 

Thanks to all for the help last week; the first session went very well, which was particularly notable because 2 of the three players had no tabletop experience (I've never had to spend so little time adjudicating in-game action). However, next week they are going off into the wilderness of Shetland, and I am thinking about adding potential random encounters while they are resting/scrounging for food (the squad left very fast under cover of night, and are lacking in provisions and worried about being seen by other people). Does anyone have advice about the mechanic for this? I have an idea, but if a tool already exists, so much the better.

Post subject: Re: Random Encounters
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:59 am 

That's great to hear- I love it when new RPGers have FOTNR as their first RPG experience. :)

As for random encounters, in the upcoming bestiary we will probably include some tables for that, but none exist in any of the already published books. The design goal was to have memorable combats, carefully crafted by the Norn. I know sometimes GM's are under time constraints, and that is why the bestiary will be our next kickstarter.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

Post subject: Re: Random Encounters
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:37 am 

I will. What I decided for now was to use some curated monsters I know I want to use in the space (unburied bodies/black skeletons, desperate men, wolves), and have them available to add an element of tension to the players' journey through the wilderness. I will let you know how it goes. On a semi-related note, is there a campaign diary section on the forum? If I were to do session autopsies, I'd want to put them in the same place, and I'm sure I'd learn a lot from what others did.