Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:26 pm 

Hey guys,
So recently I started up a game of Fotn:R and a bunch of questions came up that none of us could answer, so I was hoping I could get the answers here:

1) In the description for Shroud (the condition), it says "Invisibility, Camouflage, Cloaking...). Does that mean someone with shroud is also invisible? If the player could get shroud out of combat, could they even be perceived with perception?
2) In the description for Rage condition, it says: "During Upkeep, the recipient receives a PF for all Traits equal to the runes in the Death pile." and the description for Degeneration says: "Armour PF and defensive actions do not reduce this damage." Since Rage does not give Armor PF (but a non-typed PF), would Rage lower the damage from Aura/Degeneration?
3) Do multiple overlapping Auras stack? Let's say my friend and I both had Maxed Aura and were both in range of the same opponent, would he take double his level in damage?
4) As a follow up question: Beckon Yggdrasil creates 4 Alkas with Aura. If I placed all 4 of them near an opponent, would he be hit by x4 Aura?
5) Do Alka Spells have to start adjacent to the caster? Most spells say they have to start adjacent unless the caster uses the Ranged meta, but Alkas affect the battlefield, so I'm not sure.
6) Does Amplify affect the Intensity of a spell? For instance, Fire Aura gives the Aura condition at 1 intensity and has x3 Amplify Metas. If I triple amplify it, do I now have Maxed Aura?
7) Can active powers be used out of combat?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:25 pm 

JeffGo wrote:
1) In the description for Shroud (the condition), it says "Invisibility, Camouflage, Cloaking...). Does that mean someone with shroud is also invisible? If the player could get shroud out of combat, could they even be perceived with perception?

Shroud is just a condition of being hard to interact with. It doesn't necessarily mean invisible, just hard to perceive. They could be perceived, and there might even be rules for that. I forget them right now, however.
JeffGo wrote:
2) In the description for Rage condition, it says: "During Upkeep, the recipient receives a PF for all Traits equal to the runes in the Death pile." and the description for Degeneration says: "Armour PF and defensive actions do not reduce this damage." Since Rage does not give Armor PF (but a non-typed PF), would Rage lower the damage from Aura/Degeneration?

I would say yes, actually. I've never run into this, but I can see how that would work.

JeffGo wrote:
3) Do multiple overlapping Auras stack? Let's say my friend and I both had Maxed Aura and were both in range of the same opponent, would he take double his level in damage?

yes, by the book. This has been changed in Lords of the Ash however :) if you play with LotA, they do not.

JeffGo wrote:
4) As a follow up question: Beckon Yggdrasil creates 4 Alkas with Aura. If I placed all 4 of them near an opponent, would he be hit by x4 Aura?

no. Beckon Yggdrasil creates a spot where you can pick up an aura for yourself. Think of it as Buff Skittles. that's what my group did :) Your Galdr will toss those out and people should run for them so they can become glowing fireballs and hurt their foes. Also the Denizens should too ;)

JeffGo wrote:
5) Do Alka Spells have to start adjacent to the caster? Most spells say they have to start adjacent unless the caster uses the Ranged meta, but Alkas affect the battlefield, so I'm not sure.

Yes, assuming they don't have range or one of the other metas that alter alkas.

JeffGo wrote:
6) Does Amplify affect the Intensity of a spell? For instance, Fire Aura gives the Aura condition at 1 intensity and has x3 Amplify Metas. If I triple amplify it, do I now have Maxed Aura?

Anything numeric in the power. so if it bestows the Aura +1 condition, then yes.

JeffGo wrote:
7) Can active powers be used out of combat?

yep, though most of them have an out of combat thing on them. if you want to use the In Combat part, that's pretty much up to the Norn. I've allowed it in most occasions. However, if they want to start with a Maintained power active, I allow them to put out runes up to their Wyrd in In Play when combat starts, then don't let them Wyrd until next round. Essentially, they start with the Maintained power active (like Blood Wolf, for example)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:09 am 

raleel wrote:
JeffGo wrote:

I would say yes, actually. I've never run into this, but I can see how that would work.

JeffGo wrote:

yes, by the book. This has been changed in Lords of the Ash however :) if you play with LotA, they do not.

RE: Rage
The intent in the Core Rulebook is that Rage can be countered by Degeneration and Aura. I agree that the "Armour" can throw off the interpretation.

RE: Aura
We saw that players could really abuse Aura if the whole party is built around the concept, so in DotN we introduce a limitation to how many Auras you can be hit by (kinda like Taunt limits).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:55 pm 

For the shroud, it is a combat condition and my take on it, this is only applied during combat.

For out of combat, it would be sneak skill check and if the character can shroud, either through Passive or Active I would give him/her a bonus success for it, like +1 success per Passive / Active.