Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Damage vs Healing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:05 pm 

I've tried to write this like 3 times and haven't really been able to clarify my thoughts.

I'm wondering if people think that healing is appropriately balanced versus damage and effective HP. Perhaps our group is unusual with 3/5 of the group being able to heal other members of the group and one member having Stitch Kindred but we are picking a character up from unconscious and healing nearly 50 damage in a single round on a regular basis.

Is it a scaling issue that healing starts better and doesn't scale as well, Geyser of Living Water specifically that starts at 24 healing and only scales on Amplify not Focus, or is there something else I'm not seeing balance wise?

Post subject: Re: Damage vs Healing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:50 pm 

Ha, Stitch Kindred can be a bitch. OK, so first off, MENTAL damage is your friend- break the stitch. Brute force with Physical is not economical.

Second is that Amplify increases the number of Alka tokens you place. Amplify never modifies the scalars in the power.

As for Heal vs damage, both are costed at 1 QR per point.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:34 am 

Aside from Stitch, making damage stick is hard. Characters go from full to almost dead and back to full almost within a single round it seems like, this makes alpha strikes very strong and persistent damage like Degeneration very weak. It also makes the game superficially deadly but not actually as deadly as it appears.

This is feelings not really analysis.

Re: Geyser, I'm aware of the alka/amplify interaction but 8 tokens of 6 healing is still 48pts its just harder to get all of.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:56 am 

FOTN is pretty heroic. The idea being that you are playing someone heroic from the sagas and all that.

I found my guys were pretty damn tough. Alpha strikes were effective, but what I found with degeneration is that it was more feared. It was relatively easy to get it to level 4 and be hitting them for a couple of runes. They would have to spend a couple of runes to get rid of it, which might deny the healing. This slowed them down a lot, if it didn't really kill them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:26 am 

Brokk wrote:
Aside from Stitch, making damage stick is hard. Characters go from full to almost dead and back to full almost within a single round it seems like, this makes alpha strikes very strong and persistent damage like Degeneration very weak. It also makes the game superficially deadly but not actually as deadly as it appears.

Actually the huge swings in damage and healing are by design. We didn't want a system where the damage is applied slowly, and when healing resources are depleted, it's a slow spiral to inevitable death. The fights are meant for high-octane damage, then massive rallies back from death's threshold to big momentum swings. You can play with (or without) what we affectionately call the "breaks" when the last Essence rune stops at the top of the wounds track. This is your safeguard against unintended health swings which are too volatile for the more conservative player.

The 3 damage tracks also change combat dynamics quite a bit. Feel free to experiment with different ones.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:56 pm 

So let me ask this:

When taking damage, you move a rune from the lowest pile until it hits death (or drain) before you start moving another rune. The reverse is true for healing. If that's the case, how does recovery work? Because by those rules, you will never have more than 1 rune in stun at a time.

who knows much of many things.

The Hávamál, verse 54

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:20 pm 

With minor sacrifices you can move them into stun. 4 minor sacrifices, you pull from Essence into stun and not from the lowest pile. Sacrifices to drectly to the pile for the sacrifice (1-4 blood drops on the mat)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:34 pm 

Like it's been said, you can hit them with different conditions and stitch would be useless. Make lots of small attack of 1-2 damage and you will see that it will cost them more to mitigate those. For example, 6 attack from different monsters that does 1-2 spiritual damage will make their runes go down up to drain, if you play in the gray zone of damage. Also make your creatures use 'Stitch Destiny' with at least one player in the group and see the fun that it procure ;)