Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Would you buy a magnetic playmat?
Yes 74%  74%  [ 14 ]
No 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: Magnetic Playmats
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:39 am 

Now that the FOTN:R metal runes will be available for everyone in Febuary we are considering manufacturing some magnetic playmats! I know that when I play in a casual living room environment, I'd like my playmat on my lap or on the arm of the recliner, so a playmat that can hold the runes in place would be great! :)

We have done some shopping around and for a very small print run we can price them at $25 each. Seems high but it's the best that can be achieved for a small print run. At this price point, would you be interested? Heck if there is a ton of interest then we can negotiate the manufacturer down and pass on the savings to everyone.

Please let us know!

Post subject: Re: Magnetic Playmats
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 pm 

Personally, no, not so much, because I make my own runes and they are not metal and I play at a table.

That having been said, I think that is pretty cool and a good idea.

I was looking at getting the GM playmat printed out on the stuff they make custom card game playmats from.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:37 pm 

Would it be possible to make them double sided? Norn mat on one side, player mat on the other.

Norn mat is helpful for the players too when you end up with familiars, effigys and other friends

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:42 pm 

Stormbani wrote:
Would it be possible to make them double sided? Norn mat on one side, player mat on the other.

Norn mat is helpful for the players too when you end up with familiars, effigys and other friends

Brilliant! :D

I'll ask them tomorrow!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:43 am 

Litko, a company familiar to many wargamers, offer laser cut thin plywood, steel paper, and magnetic bases and basing accessories. The steel paper is a substance similar in feel and thickness to a magnetic business card except it is not magnetized.

Throwing this out there for folks who make their own runes, but would like them to stick to a magnetic play mat.

Also I wonder if the magnetic play mat could be offered in a bundle with the stainless steel runes?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:09 am 

I'll look into it, because all of the samples sent to us so far have been of abysmally low magnetism.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:53 pm 

I'm reading this post 3 years later.... were these ever made? I really like the idea! I would purchase some and would purchase metal runes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:42 am 

I ended up putting some magnetic tape on my Norn playmats. They are pretty weak, but it is enough to hold the runes in place with some slight jostling. It doesn't look as good as I would like, but since I am the only one with metal runes, it isn't as big a deal. The rest of my players use wood, bone, clay, or stone runes that I modified myself. The metal ones are the only official FOTN:R runes I have.