Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Leveling?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:22 pm 

Hey there,

Just wondering a bit about levels. How do you give them out? How does one earn them? How regularly should players level?

Even if there are no hard rules for this, how do you guys generally do it?

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Leveling?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:31 am 

Depends on the group.

My group, we hardly get to play, so we generally level up once per game. Mind you, that's once every couple of weeks for four hours.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:58 am 

Jarl, you'll find many different approaches. The game design wanted to eliminate the concept of XP's and let players level upon reaching milestones (page 150 of the Core Rulebook). These can be the ends of mini-quests and if you can complete one in an evening, then you'll be leveling up every week.

Some groups who play weekly will prefer leveling up at the end of a large story arc, and that's ok too.

You can even hand out more than 1 level at the end of a major campaign story line.

Because my group and I test, we jump all over the place, one week we're all level 45, the next week it's a prequel story involving level 8's. They are hunting "excavator" the elusive shovel which has been around for hundreds of years (see LotA BETA). It all started with a funny story when Erik the Red asked the players to setup an outpost in Gronland on his behalf. They had to list everything that wanted to take with them from Laxardal before they left- this included ONE shovel. Everything else was numbered in the dozens, but they brought ONE shovel along with 45 thralls. When they arrived they discovered the inventory error and the thralls had to "sign-out" the shovel every time every time they wished to use it. Eventually it went missing and a quest began to track down its whereabouts. The longer they searched the more they met people whose lives had been touched by it. They began to realise that it had magical powers and whenever someone wasn't looking it at, it disappeared to some new location! Truly the perfect magic item for a chaotic and disjointed BETA campaign! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:45 pm 

This may be overkill but I have been giving put 1 exp per session. I am leaning towards 1 per session and 1 for major story arc. The group feels more invested this way and they also look forward to spending that exp. It certainly is keeping them more interested.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:55 am 

That's a great approach. Anything to keep people invested and eager to play.