Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shield Wall
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:21 am 

Dwellers/Denizens Adjacent to another friendly Dweller/Denizen in their front arc can use a single defend action to add the Defense / Parry rating of 2 adjacent allies that also have shields . They may also use the META tags of those shields. All characters must be facing the exact same direction and in a straight line.

The concept is that a dweller with weak defense can be protected by allies on either side.

All participants must have a shield

Must be 3 or more in the shield wall

This is as yet untested.

It needs to be tested with the concept of a swarm too.

Post subject: Re: Shield Wall
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:11 pm 

Yesterday I had a discussion with my BETA testers and we think we'll be trying out a new defensive meta. Right now the placeholder name is "Fortify" which requires a shield. It only helps if you are caught in an AoE (Area meta or Aura- yes even Aura) you can shield yourself and anyone in your rear-3 hexes. It shows a lot of promise, helps defend against the impossibly powerful Aura effect and gives more reasons for people to stay adjacent to combatants carrying shields.

I'm really eager to try this out at the next session. It'll be added to BETA doc before then I hope.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:14 am 

Sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 am 

I've been considering allowing Cinematic action where you spend a rune and it allows you to defend others. You still have to spend the rune to defend, but it all can be done as an interrupt. Essentially, it allows for the action to extend to Adjacent. I have not really gone into adding area/range metas on it, but have figured there is little harm in allowing it to extend to Generic defends or Active Power defends, even against non-physical attacks.

Protector effectively mitigates the cost of this rune at that point, which still keeps it right on par with most other passive powers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:36 am 

Yeah Cinematic Actions are indispensable in allowing players the free-form stage they need in an RPG. Just because they don't have a specific power shouldn't tie their hands.

I also allow someone to dive in and take a blow for an ally if they wish to do so. They pay a rune, granting them the same effect as Protector, and then they can play additional runes to make defend actions for that individual.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:08 am 

andrew wrote:
Yeah Cinematic Actions are indispensable in allowing players the free-form stage they need in an RPG. Just because they don't have a specific power shouldn't tie their hands.

I also allow someone to dive in and take a blow for an ally if they wish to do so. They pay a rune, granting them the same effect as Protector, and then they can play additional runes to make defend actions for that individual.

nod, so pretty much the same thing. excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:33 am 

This did give me a good idea, I was wondering how to test now powers, skills, conditions..... as none of my players have LotA or have a Disir level high enough
to use the characters in it. And are also too new to the game to be given easy access to all the new stuff

...when it hit me ...MAGIC items!!! I can bind all those new powers into items so they get tested :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:43 am 

excellent place for them.