Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:47 pm 

Im reading the core rule book and i landed on equipment. From what i can see there really is not anything super beneficial. I was curious on how items would be priced? for example i decided to make a Magical Harp +2 Focus. Now according to the attributes chart, that cost 2 physical runes and according to the size generation table, 2 physical runes makes it a size 3 weapon. so if im only using 2 runes and both are physical do i full the skatt generation table and do 10x10=100 skatt for this weapon?

thats also if im understanding item creation properly as well.

Can anyone help on this factor please?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:07 am 

Uhhhhhh, wha? I'm confused too... Ah! Wait, ok, I think I got this. Page numbers help when trying to situate someone. For others reading this, we're talking about what's on page 309 through 312 I believe.

HOW MUCH SKATT DOES A BLOOD SPLAT GATT?
The first table is the Skatt generation table. If you need to quickly figure out how much Skatt to give your players for killing something (I'm assuming you're a Norn) then you use this table. Let's say that you think a mugger carries the skatt-equivalent of two runes with no multiplier. You pull two physical runes, which means he has 20 skatt. That's one busy mugger! What if you'd pulled a mental and a spiritual? The mental is worth 5 skatt, and spiritual is 1. The mugger was only carrying 6 skatt.

I FOUND SOME TREASURE! HURRAY!!
The next table (Items of Great Value) is a "quick and dirty, I need an item NOW" tool. Due to requirements of space, time, play test, etc. the complete rules for creating items did not make it into the core book. It is TOTALLY in the upcoming book though!! But let's look at this table anyway since I'm trying to answer your question.

Normally, you'd wyrd 2 random runes. The first table (size generation) shows what size and base QR the item will have based on those 2 runes. The second table (enhanced attributes) determines if it's a weapon/armour/accessory, set its overall stats - Scaled to the person you're creating it for. The second table is based on the FIRST rune you pulled.

EXAMPLES
RANDOM WYRD scenario (I legit just wyrded right now)
I'm making this for a level 15 character: Isaice (M) and Hagalaz (M) (page 84 to see which runes I'm referring to)
Two Mental runes means it's a size 5, QR 5 item. Isaice means that it's an armour with Focus +3 (base is Focus +1, and I add +1 for every 6 levels, meaning an extra +2) and I believe the final QR is 9 (5 base +2 first extra Focus +2 second extra Focus).

NOT SO RANDOM WYRD scenario
Instead though, you want a harp, and it's supposed to be a weapon. You also want 2 Focus on it. That means that you "randomly" (no can prove differently) drew either Mann or Othala as your first rune. Your second rune is *SOMETHING*, if it's physical, you harp is size 3 and base QR 3. If it's anything else, size 4 and base QR 4. Your harp will have at LEAST 2 Focus (3 if the character you're making it for is level 12 to 17; 4 if they're 18 to 23), and a QR total of at least 5 (3 or 4 base, and at least 2 more QR; the rest is dependent on too many factors I don't know).

WHAT NEXT?
What about the next table? Let's say you wyrded up a magical weapon/armour/accessory just now. At this point, you move on to the Magical Properties table and wyrd 1 rune. Depending on what you pull, you may need to keep wyrding. It's possible to pull a magic item that pulls more magical effects. Just keep track of all the QR bonuses because they get added together.

HOW MUCH IS THIS ITEM WORTH?
Sadly, there is no reference for how much that item is worth at the moment. Like I said above in "I FOUND SOME TREASURE! HURRAY!!" the rules just aren't there. The book does list that the skatt values (on average) are 160 for QR 4 items, 250 for QR 5 items, 360 for QR 6 items. I'll help you along math-wise, that's the QR value squared times 10 (e.g. 5 x 5 x 10 = 250).

I could also use my mystical powers of already having read Denizens of the North to tell you that this estimate is accurate. The cost to make the item is QR squared times five. Most shopkeepers like profit, so they sell an item for at least double what it costs to make.

DENIZENS OF THE NORTH???
The rules for crafting items are MUUUUUUUUCH clearer. It defines how much QR each item attribute is worth, what the size will be, what kinds of Actives/Passives/Skills the item might have, if it's got some kind of intelligence/curse/dvergo-techno gimmick, material cost, special ores, etc. There's also the Blacksmith archetype, that will let players make or modify items to suit their needs. Obviously, time, materials, and personal sacrifice (sweat, tears, etc.) are invested into the item.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:31 am 

Thank you very much, that was very helpful

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:05 am 

Of course if you are the Norn you can also invoke the "Because I Say So" rule and decree that the magic harp is +2 Focus, is a Size 3 weapon, and costs 100 skatt. This is what I usually do for Morn created items, they do not need to follow the rules for player created items because they are "special", not always better though.

I can second that the item creation rules in DotN are very nice indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:18 pm 

In the equipment section ( pages 301-302 ) there are a lot of weapons that have focus but dont have a DF. For example a ceremonial knife ( page 301 ), size 3, +1 Focus, Pierce weapon. If im in combat and lets say i want to stab someone....Since it has no DF is it counted as like a rubber blade or something? same thing goes for the ash staff ( page 302 ) im just saying if i use a blunt weapon and hit someone in the head it should at least do 1 damage no?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:41 pm 

In the Shield Section (p130) it notes that Reach 0 weapons can only be used to parry. All if the examples of Focus-bearing Sundered Weapons have Reach 0, except for the Witch Spear, which has a DF of 1 and a reach of 2. All examples of DF 0 items also have Reach 0, so I think it's safe to assume that they are ineffectual at stabbing/clubbing, etc.

I do find it somewhat interesting that there are no actual Clubs-like-I-picked-up-a-limb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:40 am 

raleel wrote:
In the Shield Section (p130) it notes that Reach 0 weapons can only be used to parry. All if the examples of Focus-bearing Sundered Weapons have Reach 0, except for the Witch Spear, which has a DF of 1 and a reach of 2. All examples of DF 0 items also have Reach 0, so I think it's safe to assume that they are ineffectual at stabbing/clubbing, etc.

I do find it somewhat interesting that there are no actual Clubs-like-I-picked-up-a-limb

Yup, spot on. Some "weapons" are not meant for smashing and may break if used in such a manner. Their purpose is to attract more magical energy towards the caster and to help them concentrate on the mystic arts. You can simply describe the staff as a sacred branch that has all sorts of baubles on it that must remain in that exact configuration otherwise the Focus is lost.

As for club-like-improvisations, feel free to assign on the fly DF's (and other combat stats) to picked up chairs, arms, etc... ;)

ps. Ludo another brilliant reply- thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:34 pm 

one more question on item creation i was looking through enhanced attributes on page 310 then to magical properties on page 311 and i found nothing on giving an item the Piercing ability? will the be added in DoTn? since piercing is a big factor at low levels ImO. Also if I use 2 weapons the same size as my character Id assume that i would need to play a Physical ruin to make an attack with both? the example only shows weapon/shield but i assume it goes the same for weapon/weapon on page 97

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:11 pm 

Maragos5 the Pierce attribute most definately shows up in DotN. However we're looking at Pierce availability because it tends to overshadow PF (4:1 QR ratio) and we don't want PF to become irrelevant.

As for the dual wield, you're totally correct! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:19 pm 

Question in the game when creating an denizen for example a Polar cracken, under equipment they give examples of Martial and or Lair gear? Can i assume that martial equipment, means like regular sword and armour. But i do not understand what lair gear means? can you help me out?