Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Taunt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:20 am 

I understand how the Taunt Condition works in general. My question is, if the combatant with Taunt moves within 4 Hexes of an opponent and then moves OUT of range in the same round, on the second opponent's turn, would they still be forced to try to follow the Taunter and attack them?

Post subject: Re: Taunt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:24 am 

I would rule that as a "no" because I hate to do bookkeeping. I treat all effects as sticky when they trigger, so when Taunt goes from 0 to 1 I check and mark everyone who will get tagged. Then I check during upkeep to see who'll be affected and mark them for the round as well. This removes the need to do live ongoing checks for taunts, auras, etc. It keeps things flowing.

The only time I would check on the fly is when someone ends their movement within the taunt range, then I would rule that they have to adjust their future use of runes. Simply passing through wouldn't elicit the effect.

The same can be said for alkas. I won't apply the alka bead effects until then end of the movement. Applying each bead in succession will slow down the game too much imho.

But it's a game, and everyone has their threshold of abstraction. Some may say they'd rather sacrifice some abstraction to keep a certain degree of "realism". Simply go with that works for you and your group, and have FUN! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:52 am 

dafelsheim wrote:
I understand how the Taunt Condition works in general. My question is, if the combatant with Taunt moves within 4 Hexes of an opponent and then moves OUT of range in the same round, on the second opponent's turn, would they still be forced to try to follow the Taunter and attack them?

I also do what Andrew does.

Are you the player, or do you have one of those players? I have one ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:07 pm 

I am running Fafnir's Treasure as the Norn and the final confrontation calls for Rusalki specifically using the Taunt and run tactic. While there is a lot of Shroud and Healing to go around with the three Rusalki, they are all very squishy. Hence I wanted to know how mobile a Rusalki could be and still have Taunt effective.

Andrew:
So, you calculate whether someone is in the Taunt radius at the end of each Movement action? How about if someone put a Move Action into Contingency that would trigger as soon as someone got close enough to attack them while still within the Taunt Radius (4 Hexes)? So let's say the Rusalki moved so that a Dweller was 4 Hexes away. On the Dweller's turn, they use two Runes to make two Move Actions to get adjacent to the Rusalki (their Move is halved due to water), which is when the Rusalki's Contingent Move Action would go off, letting her move another 4 Hexes away?

Regarding Alkas, if you wait until the end of the movement while moving, say, through multiple Alka Beads for Field of Thorny Vines, couldn't that potentially give the Dweller/Denizen moving through it a lot more Runes to move than they should have?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:16 pm 

dafelsheim wrote:
I am running Fafnir's Treasure as the Norn and the final confrontation calls for Rusalki specifically using the Taunt and run tactic. While there is a lot of Shroud and Healing to go around with the three Rusalki, they are all very squishy. Hence I wanted to know how mobile a Rusalki could be and still have Taunt effective.

Shroud + Taunt is incredibly annoying to do to someone. Forcing them to attack someone they have to spend runes to be able to affect. it's the definition of lose-lose

Add in healing, and they are pretty much unkillable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:27 am 

Yup Raleel is right on the money, that combo sucks up rune resources whether you choose ignore taunt or choose to pay for shroud. Unless the players use range attacks effectively, it will be a very tough fight.

@defelsheim: Your use of contingency is correct. If the Rusalki stays within Taunt range, the dweller(s) will be kited.

RE: Alkas and movement: OK suppose there's a buffer 6 hexes deep of Alkas (that bestow impede). The dweller plays a rune to move (with move 4) and runs through 4 beads, picking them up. As soon as the move ends, we resolve the 4 beads, now he's at Impede 4 (unless he played runes to counter). There's still a buffer of 2 more impeded alkas between the dweller and the denizen. The next rune played for movement won't be very effective. Makes sense? If you'd rather resolve every alka bead as they are picked up, you're absolutely welcome to play it that way as well.