Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:59 am 

So I'm making a Seith Abberation that's focused on melee combat. It says that they don't start with any equipment and their Power Boards support both Unarmed (Essence of the Ghost) and Armed (Nether Touch) methods of converting melee damage to Spiritual. I'm building it with Essence of the Ghost as a starting point. This would make Nether Touch superfluous unless I wanted to do armed combat damage. However, it appears twice on the Active Power Board, in 2 out of the 4 possible starting blocks.

Is this intentional?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:18 pm 

Can’t speak for Andrew, but likely yes. Nether touch on two locations would allow you to have two runes in that, thus get it available more often.

Essence of the ghost does negate it in some sense, though maybe you just pick other options, and ultimately, nether touch can do weapon attacks, which in turn might allow you access to other powers.

Pick which one matches the creature more. Are they a ghost, or are they a creature that does spiritual?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:19 pm 

Aren't Seith Abberations by definition ghosts?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:28 pm 

Actually, they are, reading closer. And yes, something is superfluous, but not for the reasons you state. They have essence of the ghost as a Base Power, which would make it superfluous on the passive board, because they all already have it, and there is no stacking effect for it that I can think.

Nether touch still allows weaponed spiritual damage, and still allows it on multiple runes, but it’s odd to have that for a base power and in the passive board. If you want to change it, I would replace it with angered spirit. That one does stack, and makes them fearsome does

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:33 pm 

They get Conjure Weapon (topright most square) as an Active Power but besides that, would they be able to actually wield weapons, being ghosts?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:51 pm 

Up to you really. Unarmored - may never wear armor implies no, but honestly, your table.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:42 pm 

Thanks for the input! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:17 pm 

This question had me search the ancient recesses of my 2013 memories...

OK so yes it's a ghost, but nothing in the rules stop the ghost from picking up and using physical weapons- after all they can be damaged by physical weaponry. Unarmoured means that they cannot wear armour (but they can wield weapons). Conjure weapon also has a default state of Physical damage, so there's the combo.

Essence of the Ghost is simply for unarmed attacks (no need for Conjure Weapon or having the aberration pick up some weapon).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:02 pm 

Thanks!