Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:33 pm 

The amplify meta doubles the level of whatever is gated right? I can't seem to find where it says so. I must be partially blind today.

Edit: Also, does amplify add an extra phantasm image and thus increase the chance to hit one instead of you to 66%?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:53 pm 

yes and yes

x2, x3 ....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:56 pm 

re: gated - don't see why not. You can split the levels over the gated in things, so it makes sense that amplify would double the levels. Might have some unintended consequences if one allowed for ye ol' Level 60 black skeletons :) I think I would probably just say it makes another one.

re: phantasm image - that seems logical to me as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:59 pm 

Cool. Thanks.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of gating more than one thing with the Amplify meta. That could seriously change things. Sure, one level 12 black skeleton is a mean dude. But two level 6 black skeletons seems like it would create more of a power swing.

What happens if there are three or more phantasm images? The percentages would make it impossible to hit the caster. Do you just let that be the case or maybe allow for skill checks to pick out the real one? The skill check thing may seem obvious but I feel it actually undoes the power, which is meant to guarantee a chance your opponent might miss. That's the reason I would say skill checks can't counter it. One would just have to kill enough of the phantasms to make it possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:45 pm 

I think one level 12 can make a bigger hit. 2 level 6s are flexible but pretty fragile. Also, is it level 6 or level plus 6?

I think the Phantasms go away when they are hit, right? Dark juxtaposition, correct? So yea, turns into mirror image from d&d and you gotta cut through some Phantasms. I imagine Multi can help with this. I wouldn't allow the skill check myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:25 pm 

raleel wrote:
Also, is it level 6 or level plus 6?

level +6

Does this make a difference when Amplifying ? *scratches head*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 pm 

That's your level +6? That's pretty good.

In that case, I imagine Amplify makes it level +12. That's huge.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:43 pm 

Yes. That's whet I'd go with as well. Amplifying your base level too seems like a lot of power. Also makes you a mental damage target.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:21 am 

Yes Amplify works on Gate powers by taking the numerical value and multiplying it by the number of Amplify metas. Normally you would have 1 gated creature, however it's pretty easy to imagine more than 1 since Summon allows you to split the levels among more than 1 thane- just the same for Gate if your situation justifies it. Page 358 in DOTN elaborates on the reasoning for multiple thanes.

As for Dark Justaposition, you can resolve Amplify in 2 different ways:
1) The intended way, since Amplify only affects numerical values: The extra phantasm is limited to one, and the % increases and after 2 amplifies it's 100% miss chance
2) The power creates another 33% dupe with an amplify, but this involves extra book keeping which wasn't the intent. But honestly both are viable routes.

Note: Amplify works on numbers (written as integers), so when you see a number written out as a word, it was most likely on purpose to indicate that it's not a scalar value.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:36 am 

andrew wrote:
Note: Amplify works on numbers (written as integers), so when you see a number written out as a word, it was most likely on purpose to indicate that it's not a scalar value.

Hope this helps!

this would be a great thing to put in the Amplify meta description or in the summary.

and yes, very helpful!