Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:33 am 

I think the text that gives the right answer is in the Unarmed section:

Quote:
A size 4 human, for example, deals DF 1 with an Attack action using only the body, e.g. fists, kicks, head-butts, etc... The basic reach is 1, but very large creatures have additional bonuses.

bolded for emphasis. The whole body is considered the weapon here, regardless of the number of parts of it you are using, and thus does Size-3 DF.

Also note only the body, so no fist + sword or claw+sword.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:12 am 

Ludologist wrote:
How does Blood Fang work though?
Quote:
page 244
The recipients of this spell gain a +4 damage bonus to one Attack action per round and a +4 Parry bonus to one Defend action per round.

What this means:
Round 1 - it's cast but with no Combo. All combatants affected by this spell get +4DF to ONE attack in that round AND they get +4 Parry to ONE defend action in that round. The effect goes away during cleanup.
Round 2 - it's not cast again. No buffs from this spell apply.
Round 3 - it's cast again, but with a Combo this time. All combatants affected get +4DF to ONE attack in that round AND they get +4 Parry to ONE defend action in that round. The effect stays during cleanup, unless released by the caster.
Round 4 - the buffs still apply
Round 5 - an adjacent ally performs a minor sacrifice +1 and adds an Amplify rune. All combatants affected by this spell get +8DF to ONE attack in that round AND they get +8 Parry to ONE defend action in that round. Again, the effect stays during cleanup unless released.

NOTE: I'm assuming the Ulfhednar had no Focus to further buff the spell...

A great example, sorry to have 2 Minor Nitpicks: =/
- when casting it in Round 3 (with the Combo Meta), you'd need to perform a Minor Sacrifice+1 for the Combo Meta.
- and when the ally in Round 5 wants to add that Amplify Rune he'd have to pay a Minor Sacrifice +2 (2 base + 0 Runes to the right of the combo chain)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:40 am 

Huh. I hadn't noticed that. That is an important detail.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:07 am 

Agreed! Even experienced players can make mistakes sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:08 am 

Does someone have an understanding of the passive power Arcane Reach? can you explain it to me? does it mean if i use a ranged weapon, that i can use the weapons range for my spells instead?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:06 am 

No. Range is not Reach. Only Melee weapons have Reach.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:29 pm 

so whats the difference between arcane reach and aura of influence? both scene on page 268. also do these passive stack? like does my reach become 20' now?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:46 pm 

Arcane Reach only affects spells and boosts touch range by 10' or the reach of the weapon- whichever is longer. Range metas get boosted by an extra 5'.

Aura of Influence adds to any power that uses the word "adjacent" for range (or area of effect). The word "adjacent" gets redefined to 10'.

Hope this helps! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:57 pm 

Well, for one, Aura of Influence does not alter Range, and it does not alter Reach of a weapon. It affects powers (active or passive).

Similarly, Arcane reach only affects spells, so it does not alter things like Umbral Alliance, Fellowship of the white hare, Rune of Blood, or even Generic Attacks. No Manoeuvres either - that's a big limiter and it takes out everything with weapons.

So, to stack, you need to have an Active Power labelled Spell (I assume rune spell and spell song work here) - largely because there are no passive Spells. It also much have adjacent in it. That leaves:

• Dark Juxtaposition
  • Fire Aura
  • Invoke the Shadows
  • Power over Fire
  • Rusalki Song
  • Sun and Moon
  • Sword to Snakes

i'm fairly certain they stack in these cases as it is worded. However, even if they stack, I think it's probably something like the Range vs Area metas - aura of influence extends the radius around the point that you can reach/range to.

edit: reading Andrew's thing
it seems like Aura of Influence is effectively a free Area meta to some extent, and Arcane Reach is sort of a short free range meta.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:58 pm 

These passive are all for a seith spell for example bone snapper or siphon soul. They both dont specify the range, so i assume there adjacent but i have arcane reach which would now make the range 2 hexes would having aura of influence also help these spells. Im doubting it since there are no key words " adjacent " in them

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next