Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:45 pm 

There are charts for randomly generating a denizens equipment starting on pg. 312. The charts are labeled(i.e. Mount, martial, etc.) These are what the equipment types are referring to. Just flip to the appropriate chart and wyrd runes according to how powerful you want the gear it has to be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:36 pm 

I have 2 answers for you:

1- The rules
Martial and Lair gear both refer to the possible kinds of treasure that an NPC/Creature might have available for players to loot. For example, a big huge Kraken might have eaten some adventurers and now has their gear inside their stomachs.

You want to look up the tables on page 312 to 316. We're talking about the tables entitled Minimal (the creature doesn't have anything impressive), Mount (the creature has a rider, and may carry some of his gear), Martial (the creature has weapons, armour, or treasures for various reasons), Lair (the creature has some stuff he keeps at his home), and Fay (the creature is magical in nature and often has non-mundane items and treasures).

The Kraken states that they may carry Martial or Lair gear, so you'll want to use the Martial and Lair tables when you decide what treasure the players might find.

2- The language
Having read a few of your posts, I get the sense that English is not your first language (a few clues suggest it might be French, but that's only a guess).

Martial means "relating to, or suitable for use in war". Yes, treasures that are "martial" include weapons, armour, battle tools, etc.

Lair means "a wild animal's den". In RPGs, often, creatures that are "sub-human" or wild in some way (examples include trolls and goblins) have lairs. Wild animals have lairs too. It's where they live. When a treasure listing says "Lair", it means the treasures you might find lying around the home of a wild beast (in your example, a Kraken's home). If you want to make your players work for it, feel free to mention that the animal had eaten the treasure and now your players must go and dig around in dung ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:25 pm 

Since DOTN finally came out crafting has become more used...i just have a few question to make sure im understanding creation and costs.

For lets say a mundane weapon like a battle axe i give it +4 DF, + 2 pierce, + 1 reach which ends up being QR cost of 6. If i understand it correctly i square root the QR and multiply it by 5 for price of the item?

(6x6)x5=180 skatt

Now if i were to make it out of Red gold for example how would i calculate the cost of that since Red gold is QR 6 but cost of 12 which im assuming means 12 skatt. would i add QR to the weapon and it would be QR 12 square root x5?

Also there is not real explanation on costs for infusing your weapon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:11 pm 

Seems like it adds to the QR and then you figure out how much it takes to me. Otherwise, Realm Ores would be a very cheap way to get some specific effects. For example, Consider Rime Ice: Frost Aura, always on and (for armor) giant size +2. Giant Size +2 is 2 passive powers (+4, p311, base book). Ice Aura is an Active (+1 QR), but it always being on probably makes it worth a passive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:28 pm 

But ore has its on value different from the mundane material used for a regular item, like 4-10 skatt for different types of ore...and for example do i need one Red gold ore to gain the benefits of the ore or do i need multiple.

because on page 364 it says a Black smith has 100 ore he needs 49 of them (QR7) to make the item that he wants...it doesnt specify what kind of ore, so i assume its regular and not part of the new ore list table...but what if i wanted an item made of Rime ice or Moon silver do i need 49 of them? do i do 49 times the price of the ore? then do 49 x5 and add them together to get the price of the actual item?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:11 pm 

I think you need to make the whole thing from the special materials

Quote:
Every realm upon Yggdrasil has some spectacular crafting material which, when used by a blacksmith, grants incredible properties to the final product. Instead of using regular Midgard ore, if the item is wholly crafted with a spectacular realm ore, then the listed benefits below will apply to the item.

so, yes, definitely need to spend the QR squared times the cost.

Since it doesn't impact the skill check, and says "Final QR", I think that probably figure the amount required without the QR of the ore, craft it, and then it becomes a QR X+Ore value when you succeed.

It seems like it gives a little incentive too, since those powers are good, albeit non-stacking, and are cheaper than a comparable QR X+Ore item constructed with regular materials. Incentive in this case would lead to raids for resources, and thus plot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:19 pm 

in general i am not talking about a blacksmith character making it. its in the sense that a player has saved x amount of skatt and wants a new item...so he can price it if he went to a blacksmith npc character.

when you say QR-X + ore value, do you mean ore value times about you need or just ore value as represented on the chart one piece 12 skatt

(yes i know im difficult i apologize in advance, just question like these will pop up during campaigns and i would just like to be 100% certain)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:52 pm 

Saying

QR 7 axe out of red gold is qr 7+6 (the qr of red gold). Not the skatt value

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:24 pm 

RE: Prices
DotN page 345 may answer that question :)

As for Realm Ores required, from the Realm Ores skill description "...if the item is wholly crafted with a spectacular realm ore, then the listed benefits below will apply to the...". All ore must be of the new type to make an item with that property.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:46 pm 

right, but do you figure the amount needed before or after adding the QR of the rare material?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next