Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Will you get Vanagard?
Not my thing 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Yes, I will want to play this with my adult friends 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Yes, I will want to play this with my kids 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Yes, my kids and my adult friends will be playing this 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 15
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:58 am 

Vanagard will be a new RPG line aimed at the youth market. Think anthropomorphic animals going on adventures all over Yggdrasil (Redwall / Mouseguard meets Vikings). The time period is set in the First Age (right after the creation myths). All of the divine races are getting to know one another and the players have their home base in Vanagard. Adventures will focus on teamwork, problem solving, imagination and discovery. Redwall art would be a good comparison for look and feel. The game will come in a box with everything needed to play, including rune punch-out rune tokens, character cards, card decks, player tokens, a map and quest book. Rules will be light and focus on character story (something between RGS found in Ragnarok and RGS-Prime found in Diviner). Vanagard has already been in development for a few months.

This poll will help direct our use of language and art style for the product.

Follow-up question: Would you want to play a named animal such as Ratatosk, Hugin, Freki or Eikthirnir?
You can reply in the comments below

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:37 am 

I think if it's set in the world of Norse myth you should ask yourself, do the animals of Norse myth exist or not in the setting. As in, if Huggin and Munnin are there then you wouldn't play as a character named as such cause there already is a Huggin and Munnin. If you want to play a wolf named Freki, then Odins wolf shouldn't be there, unless the game of course lets you play "as" Odins wolf. In my opinion, I'd say original content. I think by leaving the actual characters of Norse myth as NPC's then interactions can be had and missions be given. They would make great supporting characters, so keeping their names as their own would be ideal while the heroes have all unique names. Maybe a simple guide of name building would be a great players aid for the kids to create their own names.

...just realized you were probably asking if we'd want to play as the "named" characters in Norse myth... Not that if we'd want to name our characters the same names. My bad...in that case. NO...lol...keep them as NPC supporting characters.

Last edited by Hagalaz on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:42 am 

Side note. I think animals representing the gods/goddesses would be cool too. As in Thor-Ram, Freya-Cat, Loki-Snake, Frey-Boar, Odin-Raven, Tyr-Wolf, Frigga-Hawk. Just saying, playing as characters that are closely attached to the gods and goddesses would be cool.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:20 am 

I'm thinking original content with the option of playing named characters in some games.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:31 pm 

Sounds fun. I like lite RPGs I game with all ages, and sometimes have trouble finding interesting games that kids and adults can enjoy together.