Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Re: The Illuminated Edda
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:19 am 

andrew wrote:
For option #3 I am thinking much less intrusive. I don't want the layout to break the reader out of the ancient storybook experience. After all, we're redoing the Eddas in a contemporary language so as to ensure they don't feel stuffy/academic. I'd say, rather than sidebars, it flows like an uninterrupted story, but I organize the plot so that Edda lore can be presented as a cohesive chapter, and then the next chapter inserts critical FOTN canon that gives more context to the preceding chapter, before we resume with more Edda lore in the following chapter. So it reads like a book, appears like a story book and the only differentiators are the page borders that frame the text. In the intro I would explain the significance of the borders, but if you skip/ignore that, you'd get a non-stop Viking epic. Thoughts?

That sounds like a very smart way to do it.

andrew wrote:
Kidding aside, I need to get the Ragnarok Saga Trilogy as well as War of Shadow done in 2016 so The Illuminated Edda and Lords of the Ash be completed in 2015. On Facebook Søren Aske Hjorth asked me about duration of LotA BETA... hard to tell, not sure yet. It really depends on the Godi. How I handle divine magic and the Godi will determine this. BETA will also include full sized boards for the Einherjar and Sons of Muspel, including the second "Void Rune" which will be the Valknutt rune found on the FOTN metal rune sets. They will keep their Void rune binding from their mortal lives, but will also bind an immortal specialization to the Valknutt rune (3 for Einherjar and 3 for Sons of Muspel).

And, as I'm the guy (Søren) from Facebook, thank you for answering.
If you are in need of more play-testers, I got an entire RPG club at my disposal. I'm sure I can gather up a bunch of play-testers to get the "Lords of the Ash" underway.

The Illuminated Edda really feels like it's going to be a absolutely fantastic product.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:23 am 

So, question about the kickstarter

is the dollar figure localized to the browser settings? My guess is that it is, as I have a little icon next to the dollar figure that says that it is converted from canadian dollars.

this also presents some confusion/misperception about the success of the kickstarter. Like... without hovering over the icon, I have no idea that the kickstarter is actually only $111 canadian dollars away from the next goal and not almost 3000 away :) certainly controls perception of how successful the project is.

I'm saying that if you can't control the setting/conversion, you might want to post USD as well, as the USA is probably the largest market (even over Canada) for kickstarters/your stuff. maybe it's a new thing for kickstarter, because I remember seeing other monetary units before.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:35 pm 

Cracked $15k today!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:34 am 

This is awesomesauce almost 16000! For years Andrew has been speaking of a book he wanted to do called "Clydesdales and Claymores" based on Celtic legends with an FOTN tie-in and bro now it looks like it may just happen with the "Illuminated Edda".

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:36 pm 

We're less than a boxed set away from Celtic myths! I'm floored, thanks to everyone who has been spreading the word. :)

Rajjj I can't believe you remember that. You know what, the ideas for the book go back much further than you think. I think we probably talked about it in 06 or 07, but my ideas for weaving Celtic mythology into FOTN goes all_the_way_back_to 1992. I seriously considered it for the first edition, but the more I learned about Viking mythology, the less time I had to explore the Celtic. Over time your knowledge starts to plateau in one field so you go back explore the others some more. Well 2015 may be the year it comes to fruition.

If it gets added, then it will have some repercussions on Lords of the Ash. I will work to include at least 1 Celtic archetype and 1 denizen. That archetype may bring magic with it as well. If we hot the Mabinogion (approx $1950) then the magic system in a no brainer.

Exciting times my friends :D