Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Happy New Year Everyone!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:32 pm 

I wanted to give a shout out to our awesome forum community: The whole Pendelhaven team wants to wish you guys the very best in 2015!

All of our productive discussions here went into making Denizens of the North the best it could be. Our 2015 banter will inevitably help shape Lords of the Ash, and if you haven't noticed already, the LotA forum is up. We'll have design and alpha coming soon for Angel of Death, Missionary, Orlog and a plethora of Godis... not to mention a bunch of outer world beasts and monstrosities (perhaps more mounts and forge beasts as well).

I also want to share a few 2015 developments with you guys:

1) A new Ragnarok Core Rulebook printing will be done to incorporate all of the errata found since the second printing. This will be called the third printing. The PDF will precede the print and it's coming real soon!

2) Denizens of the North print version is coming this month!

3) Le Destin des Nornes is the French edition of the Core Rulebook. Ragnarok has seen worldwide distribution and our France market (along with our local Quebec market) has shown tremendous demand. It is coming out in Q1 2015.

4) Mini Rune Deck cards have been requested and they will synergize well with the upcoming card game and boardgame. They will be 2.5"x1.625" so they may work with a custom sized Ragnarok playmat.

5) The Illuminated Edda is a brand new book that will precede Lords of the Ash. It will be an illustrated version of the stories contained in both Eddas (prose and poetic). It will strive to demystify obscure references and settling contradicting statements which arise in the original Eddas. The Illuminated Edda will also contain FOTN world canon that rounds out the world, filling in blanks and elaborating stories about interesting characters places and events. You will get the origins of the Vanir gods, Muspeli Jotuns as well as the nature of the Alfar, Valkyries and Norns. There will be no game mechanics content in this book. Since it is a massive lore primer for the game content in Lords of the Ash, it makes sense that it would be released first.

6) Lords of the Ash remains as advertised, a full sized lore book about the gods, jotuns and dvergar (as well as their respective realms). It will contain new player archetypes as well as expanded rules for Einherjar and Sons of Muspel. We're probably looking at a few more realm maps that will have a "locales of majesty" type chapters (a la DotN). It also makes use of the Valknutt rune introduced with the Ragnarok iron runes. It acts like a second Void rune for immortals. A lot of folks missed the Denizens of the North Kickstarter and want to get in on the next book, so we will be Kickstarting it to raise more support as well as funds for extra artwork and stretch-goal content (starter vignettes?). Everyone who receives it due to the Denizens of the North kickstarter will receive the benefits unlocked in this new Kickstarter (for free).

7) Virgridr the card game is still in design and testing. Previewed at GenCon 2014, we have received a lot of great feedback and are in closed alpha testing with various play groups around the world. Vigridr brings very unique game mechanics to the gaming table: The victory conditions are both dynamic and asymmetrical. The design strives to deliver an easy to learn game with deep and engaging strategic play. Strategy involves the hexagonal shaped cards which allow for 6 different card states. The placement of cards is also very important because cards have synergies with adjacent cards. Good for 1 to 6 players (and the world you play against in single-player sticks around in multi-player mode, adding a real X-factor). The game will most likely be released as a stand alone box with the core set, and then a possible booster set of expansion cards. One thing I really want to ensure is that card power remains constant throughout all formats, so no "rares" that give you a bigger bang for your card cost (if there are "rare" concepts they just offer different 6-sided configurations). This project may end up both in print as well as a digital format.

8) Vanagard will be a new RPG line aimed at the youth market. Think anthropomorphic animals going on adventures all over Yggdrasil. The time period is set in the First Age (right after the creation myths). All of the divine races are getting to know one another and the players have their home base in Vanagard. Redwall would be a good comparison for look and feel. The game will come in a box with everything needed to play, including rune punch-out cards.

9) Fate of the Norns novels are coming. Yup novels! We are partnering with authors keen on exploring the lore of Fate of the Norns universe. These novels will be set in different timelines and locales and will deliver a story that adds to the various stories that make up the tapestry narrative of FOTN.

10) Fate of the Norns boardgame is in the works. Remember that really impressive map of Midgard in Denizens of the North? Well the war for Midgard is coming!

11) War of the Shadow is the full sized Alfar lore book for the Ragnarok RPG system. It covers everything about the Alfar including their realms of Alfgard and Svartalfheim. It introduces more Alfar rune(s) and light and dark mechanics. Within its pages will be the revelation about their role upon Yggdrasil and the current clandestine War of Shadow. Probably a 2016 project.

12) The saga trilogy that spans the Second Age will be 3 adventure books for the Ragnarok RPG. It will contain a web of adventures which have repercussions on one another depending on their outcome. These books will draw upon Denizens of the North, War of Shadow and Lords of the Ash for supporting characters and places so they can really focus on the adventures in both Midgard and the outer realms. Realistically speaking this will be 2016.

We also have a few more things brewing in the back room, but they will most likely show up in 2016. ;)

Upwards and Onwards,
Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:26 am 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Now that is exciting news. FOTN to become a franchise like Warhammer. Speaking of Warhammer, no FOTN minis in 2015? I know you had talked about it and I for one would love to see an authentic viking minis line. I'm sad to see that War of Shadow will be a 2016 project, but the Illuminated Edda has me super intrigued. BTW how does one get on the Vigrid testing? We may be interested (and have time). Also any more descriptions about the boardgame? Now that I read it again, this is VERY ambitious. How many FOTN projects were delivered in 2014? Four I think? DotN, iron runes, rune app, rune deck, diviner and gulveig... so in fact it was 6 new products last year. 10 to 12 will be a big lift for FOTN and I for one welcome it, all of it! Good luck and all the best to you and your team.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:54 am 

Thanks for the kind words mamama :)

For Vigridr we are filled to capacity right now (we are limited by our ability to process feedback so we have a fixed number of teams testing right now) but I will add your name to the waiting ALPHA test waiting list. Thanks for your interest!

Yes we do have a lot of projects planned for this year. We have a few new team members/partners and we will be more conservative with our convention circuit this year. Both of which should allow us to pump out a few more projects in 2015. The minis remain a 2016 project for now, but if we find a willing partner who has experience in doing this, then we could accelerate this timeline.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:17 pm 

Bro this subject line is misleading!!! I logged on before and didn't check this post and today I miss-click and stumble across the whole 2015 ROADMAP!!! WTF!!!

Gotta say WOOAAAHHH lots of bitchen stuff here! Almost everything is pushing my buttons in a good way. My top requests are VIGRIDR, ILLUMINATED EDDA and LORDS OF THE ASH. Agreeing with mamama about the War of the Shadow. But I want to know more about the boardgame and the novels... any authors we know???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:52 am 

Rajjjmeister! Where you been? Busy with work? Hope you had some good holidays back home after all those marathon business trips. Any time for gaming??

Well you're on Vigridr, so you tell me how much more we have before going to beta? ;) Illuminated Edda manuscript is already in the works, the boardgame has its own dev diary thread so you can check that out in the next couple of days to see the direction it's taking.

The authors will get revealed with time (they have previous published books), and the stories are heavily based on the content in DOTN. One is an epic quest a la Lords of the Rings and the other is still TBD as we're bouncing ideas around. Once we get full story arcs and character profiles, we will be looking at launching the respective Kickstarters (should be soon). We're also looking at producing companion material for the books that allow you to play the dwellers/relics/saga from the books in your Ragnarok game. This would be Kickstarter exclusive materials.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:20 pm 

PLEASE TAKE ALL MY MONEY NOW

(seriously, all those ideas are great!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:24 am 

Ragnur wrote:
PLEASE TAKE ALL MY MONEY NOW

(seriously, all those ideas are great!)

This

and

Happy New Year right back at you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:33 pm 

andrew wrote:
Rajjjmeister! Where you been? Busy with work? Hope you had some good holidays back home after all those marathon business trips. Any time for gaming??

Well you're on Vigridr, so you tell me how much more we have before going to beta? ;) Illuminated Edda manuscript is already in the works, the boardgame has its own dev diary thread so you can check that out in the next couple of days to see the direction it's taking.

The authors will get revealed with time (they have previous published books), and the stories are heavily based on the content in DOTN. One is an epic quest a la Lords of the Rings and the other is still TBD as we're bouncing ideas around. Once we get full story arcs and character profiles, we will be looking at launching the respective Kickstarters (should be soon). We're also looking at producing companion material for the books that allow you to play the dwellers/relics/saga from the books in your Ragnarok game. This would be Kickstarter exclusive materials.

Yes I have been busy! I haven't played in 6 months and it's PAINFUL!!!

Vigridr has come a long way, but I'd say you need to do those changes Tshober sent you.

Tied into the game?? Bro now I want to see these novels.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:34 am 

happy new year 2 u 2! ^^

OMG OMG I want it all!!!

oh can you make the mini decks even mini-ER??? More-mini??? mini-mini??? ^^