Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: divine organization
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:08 am 

We had a player throw out a question to a Vanir god yesterday that stumped everyone at the table... including our poor Norn. He asked Aegir why they didn't have any Einherjar and that stumped even our most Norse savvy players. Unfortunately google failed us as well. Does anyone know? Andrew any cosmology wisdom you can impart upon our stumped Norn?

Post subject: Re: divine organization
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:55 am 

VERY interesting question! :) It's indeed something that has never been addressed in the sagas or eddas and we aim to answer that and many other question in "Jotuns & Gods". My goal is to fill in all of the cosmology gaps and answer all of the questions that have been hanging over the Norse myths. To give you a sneak peek of the answer: souls have always had rules that govern how they work (soul physics if you must). Tapping into this ecosystem and altering its course is something very few have been able to figure out, let alone manipulate. That is the reasoning why not all divine races have access to such "tech".

This would be a good thread for anyone wishing to ask any more "theological" questions about the pantheons and their workings. It'll help us pinpoint all the blanks that need filling. I hope to be faithful in filling those gaps with stories that align with Viking sagas rather than polluted concepts from standard pop fantasy. ;)

Post subject: Re: divine organization
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:07 am 

I would much rather see the game remain true to the source material than subscribing to modern notions like "Game Balance" or pop fantasy.

If the Vanir do not have Einherjar or equivalent that is very interesting and deserving of a note. I am to some extent fine with the reason being "because that is the way the world works". There is a lot about Yggdrasil, Ragnarok, and the whole FotN world that does not make sense when viewed from a modern perspective. It is well to consider that this is a Mythic world, as such it plays by different rules than ours does.