Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:57 pm 

On p. 108:

Quote:
Every new meta must be added to the right of the Open meta tag. For each new meta added, a Minor Sacrifice must be played, equal to 2 plus the number of runes to the right of the Open meta.

Example: Fjori starts a Spell Song called Muspeli Nightmares with the following inherent metas [meta: Amplify
Area Open]. He plays the rune chain with his Void rune (mapped to a Physical rune) adding an Amplify meta,
along with a Spiritual rune to create the Open meta effect. For this, he must place 1 rune in the Stun pile to pay
the Minor Sacrifice +1. At the end of the turn, the effect persists; on the next turn during Upkeep, he recovers
the one rune in Stun. During the Action phase, Fjori adds an Area meta to the Open rune chain (third rune added)
and must pay a Minor Sacrifice +2 by moving 2 runes from Essence of above into the Stun pile.

As in the other posts I've made, I'm sure I'm misunderstanding something!

The bolded section of the rule above states a minor sacrifice must be played "equal to 2 plus the number of runes to the right of the Open Meta."

But the example the text I have bolded says the cost of the sacrifice is 2 runes. But shouldn't it be three runes? [2 + 1 rune to the right of the Open Meta?]

Thanks!

Last edited by creativehum on Mon May 20, 2019 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:41 am 

The picture following the description of the Open Meta might be useful. In the third panel, note that the the Pertho Rune (the green/Spiritual one) in the Rune chain is the one that symbolizes the Open Meta, with the Isa Rune (the blue/Mental one following the Pertho Rune) is the Area Meta that is added on. So there's only one Rune to the right of the Open Meta.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:58 am 

dafelsheim wrote:
The picture following the description of the Open Meta might be useful. In the third panel, note that the the Pertho Rune (the green/Spiritual one) in the Rune chain is the one that symbolizes the Open Meta, with the Isa Rune (the blue/Mental one following the Pertho Rune) is the Area Meta that is added on. So there's only one Rune to the right of the Open Meta.

Right. Got that.

So the rules say the formula for the Minor Sacrifice is [2 + (Number of Runes to the Right of the Open Meta].

Yes?

So if there is one rune to the right of the Open Meta, then we get [2 + 1]... and so the number of runes needed for the Minor Sacrifice is 3... yes? But the example says 2 runes are required.

So trying to sort this out.

But I do appreciate you taking the time to help work this out with me!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:01 am 

Ah, yes, I see what you mean now.

Actually, in reviewing things more closely, the ENTIRE example is off. Muspeli Nightmares itself requires a Minor Sac of +1.

I'd go by the written RAW over the example.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:19 am 

So, if I place a single rune to the right of the Open Meta, then the sacrifice is three runes?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 pm 

I believe so.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:30 pm 

It's actually not a typo, but a timing issue that needs clarification.

At the TIME of playing the rune to the right of the Open meta rune, there are no other runes, so the cost is 2

If then on the next turn he adds yet another rune, before he plays it, there is 1 rune to the right of the open meta rune, so now the cost would be 3

Does that help?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:11 pm 

So it's basically "2 + (Number of runes to right Open meta) before adding a new one" ?
Nice, we played it wrong for years as well :)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:04 am 

No worries so long as it's consistent. Did your Skalds use the Open meta often, or did they find the scaling cost to much?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:46 am 

andrew wrote:
No worries so long as it's consistent. Did your Skalds use the Open meta often, or did they find the scaling cost to much?

The cost was one of the reasons I asked the question!

Keeping in mind I'm only reading the rules through in preparation to run it for my friends, I read the cost and thought, "This is really expensive. I assume it only comes into play when a PC has a LOT of Essence.!"