Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:14 pm 

My apologies if this should be in archetype builds instead of here.

This comming Monday I will be attending a session 0 of what we hope to be a long term saga.... there will be 6 players, some have some experience with fotn, some new to the game.

One Experienced player said that he enjoyed his "hammer wielding blacksmith" and so will likely remake one
    One experienced player has said he would like to play a Maiden of Ratatosk (he has experience with this archetype)
    One new player wants to play a berserkir
    one new player wants to play a Scaedugengan but isn't sure how to reconcile the lore he has read in the book about it, and being in a party of dwellers

so this party is seeming very mundane and melee heavy and I had a few questions:

How would you advise me to advise the new player who wants to try the Scaedugengan in terms of why he is with a group?
    what would you folks recommend as archetypes to fill out the party? (im definitely thinking druid but what else)
    am I thinking too inside the box in thinking the party needs a balance of melee vs range, mundane vs magic, etc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:49 pm 

I'm glad to see that you have a bunch of veterans at your game table. :) It'll make it that much easier to onboard the newbies.

Has everyone used the lifepath system during dweller creation? If so what did the Scaedugengan player Wyrd for the Denizens of the North charts? There's a relationship chart as well as some that could have players cross paths during defining moments and past troubles. You could also ask them to come up with past crossovers on their own as well.

With 6 players, you have 2 other archetypes or even a doubling down on certain ones. Ragnarok was built so that more than a single player can choose the same archetype, but play it very differently.

Range vs melee is easily achieved through weapon choice. Every archetype has ways that they can heal. Arcane vs mundane isn't a hard requirement. You'll find that a random assortment of dwellers can do well so long as they work together. The game system has built in inter-player combos.

If it's your first time being the Norn (GM), I'd suggest looking over the Norn's Sanctum sub-forum for tips from the veterans.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:38 pm 

Your questions in answering mine made me realize I didn't add some relevant details:

The characters will be fresh, likely starting at level 10 with No Disr(sp) levels
    None of the players have yet to draw a single rune, we are doing that on monday, building characters together
    right now we are just giving ourselves ideas of what we want to play
    of the new players, One is definitely playing a Berserkir
    another is resonably certain he wants to play a Sceadugangen thief and he says he has some ideas to make it group friendly, as does the Norn
    of the 3 of us who have played before, One wants to play a maiden of Ratatosk because he has tried it before and enjoyed it
    another (the one who played a blacksmith before) is considering other archetypes

I am one of the three who has played before. I tend to have the most fun, when every one is having fun, and dieing before achieving at least one heroic deed to improve chances at valhalla is less fun. That being said what looks to be most fun for me and some of the reasons for it are the following:

Ulfhednar, because I have played it before, and have always liked wolves.
    Druid, because i have played with a druid before and was impressed by all the alkas and the inner sanctum, And he has access to Catharsis with out needing a fylgia (healing plus cleansing with a range meta)
    Siethkona, because despite the witchy connotations I have always seen sieth magic as shamanistic magic, and a couple of potential tools for dealing with intensity 4 rage
    Galdr is a maybe, no reasons other than it is a caster but druid and siethkona are in line before it
    Scaedugangen because in most games I tend to play a dextrous stealthy character
    and marginally interested in the Stalo

what I want as contributing factors to the overall fun, is a way to personally or for the group help pop the Berserkir out of Rage 4. I know the druid could use catharsis, the siethkona could either possess the barbarian or shroud some of the party, and the sceadugengan could shroud himself...

the nutshell of it is that there are so many cool choices that I am having trouble choosing lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:01 pm 

ahhhhhh YOU need a dweller to help fill any missing roles.

You guys doing this right now? What did you choose?

For zerkir management, Catharsis, heals+max impeded, possession "could" work, but I personally disallow that one (foreign spitit is engulfed in rage). Condition removal is your best bet. Maiden with proper defensive metas can tank a zerkir.

Since you don't have alkas en force, maybe druid? You get to play bejeweled on the hex mat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:26 am 

I ended up choosing Druid. The group now consists of an ulfhednar, a fardrengir, a berserkir, a maiden of ratatosk, a Scaedugengan, and my Druid. Our Norn is allowing the specific choosing of up to half our runes, so I have yet to Wyrd for my essence of 6 because there were 2 brand ne players making characters... would field of poppies work for zerkir management? Also while I chose child of stars I’m likely to end up with at least one rank in sacred wood binding and had a couple questions:
    can you advise me on sight vs stutter?
    If I have 1 rank of sacred wood binding, and choose alder (sight meta) or gorse (stutter meta) how much focus if any will the wand or staff produce for me?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:53 am 

Drachenwulf wrote:
I ended up choosing Druid.

I have to say I absolutely love the Druid. It fills the role of ground control, backup/support, and of course, healing, with a potential splash of offense too.

Now, for my opinion on some of your questions.

Quote:
would field of poppies work for zerkir management?

I just spent a good few minutes reading Rage and Field of Poppies several times again. I would say that as long as the Zerkir's Rage is NOT at a Maximum, hitting one of the Druid's Poppy Tokens could be used by the Zerkir to negate 1 Rage. The only restrictions according to RAW are being unable to flee, use ranged attacks, or defensive actions. I went back and forth as to whether or not using a Poppy Token might fall into the third category but technically using the Token isn't even an Action.

Things get sticky when the Zerkir is at maximum Intensity Rage. At that point, the Zerkir can't distinguish friend from foe. From my personal Norn-POV, I'd rule that a Zerkir would not choose to willingly use a Poppy Token to lower their Rage Condition if at all possible. For example, by default you can counter the effects of an Alka Token by using a Mental Rune, so that's what I'd say that a Max-Rage Zerkir would have to do if at all possible.

The way I ran an enemy group of Dwellers with an Ursen Berserkir was by using a Seithkona, Scaedugengan, and Maiden of Ratatosk. The Seithkona used Beckon Svartalfheim to effectively chop up the battle field into a sort of maze, forcing the Ursen towards the Player Character Dwellers and blocking its sight to the Seithkona's allies. The Maiden used Taunt to draw the PC Dwellers into the Ursen's attacks and the Scaedugengan more or less flitted about the field with Shroud and Shade of the Darting Fox and Shade of the Piercing Eye to keep the Ursen more under control and to teleport it around as necessary.

Quote:
can you advise me on sight vs stutter?

Hands-down, I would vote Sight. While Stutter would basically let you be more discrete in Token placement and could allow you to hit a Hex further away than Sight with one casting, I'd argue the following:

- Your allies will always be able to see your Alka Tokens and can thus easily avoid them OR if you want to be super sneaky, you can mimic the Stutter effect simply by simply putting a Token 1 Hex "above" the ground level between the two Tokens/Hexes at ground level you actually want. This picture might help.

- And by the very nature of Alkas and Alka Spells, it's easy to get quite a lot of Alka Tokens out in one round, since both Amplify and Focus add to the number of Tokens.

- Another good thing for Sight? You can literally see around corners and other obstacles for casting your Alkas without possible enemies even being able to see YOU. Kind of like using the mirror-around-the-corner trick.

Quote:
If I have 1 rank of sacred wood binding, and choose alder (sight meta) or gorse (stutter meta) how much focus if any will the wand or staff produce for me?

By default, none. Hawthorne is the type of wood you'd have to use to get a bonus to Focus (+1 Focus per 3 Ranks in Sacred Wood Binding.) However, you also have QR to build the staff according to the Craft rules. Under these rules, Focus costs 3 QR.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:21 am 

Alder and Gorse provide their respective metas AND +1 focus per 4 ranks in sacred wood binding....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:22 am 

Drachenwulf wrote:
Alder and Gorse provide their respective metas AND +1 focus per 4 ranks in sacred wood binding....

My reply to that was totally poorly worded. Alder and Gorse DO grant the +1 Focus/4 Ranks WITH the Stutter/Sight Metas. I read that as they only grant the +1 bonus when you're using those Metas when you cast an Alka Spell - so basically, +1 Token.

BUT I could absolutely be reading too closely into the syntax here, but I interpret it to mean "I'm going to the park WITH my dog," meaning the pair are going together, versus "My dog AND I are going to the park" which could mean separately or together.

Anyway, with only 1 Rank in SWB, you wouldn't get any bonus to Focus, regardless of which interpretation. You'd have to have a minimum of 4, so you'd only get the Metas.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:37 am 

Agreed, the word "with" does muddy up the waters here.

"And" would be a better word to clear things up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:59 am 

Noted!