Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Spear + Shield
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:10 am 

I'm new to this game and in the process of learning it, so maybe I'm asking things which are obvious...

By the way, how can you do the most basic combination of all times Spear + Shield?
The smallest spear on page 301 is the "long Spear" which is Size 5 = two-handed for Size 4 humans, according to page 130....so all spears in this game are two-handed weapons!
What about Javelins/throwing spears?

Furthermore, how can it be that in this game a "spiked metal shield " (Size 5) or a "Tower Shield" (Size 6) are also two-handed for normal human-sized warriors (Size 4)?
What's the point is using them without attacking?

Maybe I'm missing something since it looks to me that these rule cannot replicate the most basic weapon combination in human history....please, tell me where I'm wrong!

Post subject: Re: Spear + Shield
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:40 am 

Last question first - you can certainly defend with them without attacking. But more to the point, you can have characters larger than size 4 ;)

If you want to make a spear and shield (and, frankly, probably is an oversight), go with a warhammer and take one off of damage and add 2 to pierce for the spear. That’ll be balanced with the rest of them. Javelin I would use the same thing, as weapons can all be thrown 5 by default. Just make a small one if you want a smaller javelin (using the size 3, so maybe 1 damages, 2 Pierce, 1 reach).

Essentially, 1 damage = 1 parry = 2 Pierce = 1 reach/10 range (missiles like bow and sling, not thrown) = 1/3 focus. Remember that to make a weapon to attack with you must have reach of at least 1.

All of the weapons are balanced this way mechanically. It allows for all of the powers to operate regardless of which weapon you use and not break anything.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am 

OK....I need time to properly grasp this, but it looks like Spears are not properly dealt.

Furthermore I see too many weapons which seem too "D&D/Generic Fantasy" (Crossbows, claymores, Bec-de-Corbin...) and not pure Viking/Dark Ages weaponry (hewing spears, seaxes, bearded axes, etc..), but I'm frankly too ignorant about this system to try (for the moment) to homebrew anything (maybe I try something else when I'll understand better the system).
For the moment I try to stick with the weapons as they are in the table...

By the way, how can you have bigger than Size 4 characters?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:58 am 

LucaCherstich wrote:
OK....I need time to properly grasp this, but it looks like Spears are not properly dealt.

Furthermore I see too many weapons which seem too "D&D/Generic Fantasy" (Crossbows, claymores, Bec-de-Corbin...) and not pure Viking/Dark Ages weaponry (hewing spears, seaxes, bearded axes, etc..), but I'm frankly too ignorant about this system to try (for the moment) to homebrew anything (maybe I try something else when I'll understand better the system).
For the moment I try to stick with the weapons as they are in the table...

honestly, just rename them. They don't really have any special stuff that most of those would be used for. It's not supported in that fashion.

LucaCherstich wrote:
By the way, how can you have bigger than Size 4 characters?

ulfhendar and troll bloods both get giant size as a passive. adds +1 to their size for each instance.

Fate of the Norns is definitely a fantastical Viking Myth sort of game. Ulfhednar can turn into giant vampiric wolves. Berserkers literally turn into bears. It generally doesn't get into the detail of hewing spears vs regular spears vs bearded axes, etc. Nothing to stop you from putting in these details though! The particulars of the weapon system are pretty straight forward - a number of points equal to Size. Distribute around :) PIck the damage type you like (a spear might be pierce, a hewing spear might be slash) and go forth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:22 pm 

LucaCherstich wrote:
I'm frankly too ignorant about this system to try (for the moment) to homebrew anything

Honestly, the weapons aren't finicky enough that you can really break the system by customizing them.

If a Long Spear is:

Size: 5
DF: 1
Pierce: 2
Focus: 0
Reach: 3
Parry: 0

Then I'd make a short Spear:

Size: 4
DF: 1
Pierce: 2
Focus: 0
Reach: 2
Parry: 0

Done and dusted. Go forth and spear things. It won't break anything but NPC heads.
If anyone sees a flaw in this I'm all ears.

//Panjumanju

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:22 pm 

I noticed this as well. I made a spear for throwing here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=683