Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:55 pm 

I'm intrigued by this game which I have ignored thus far, and I would like to know where to get a decent copy of Core Rules here in Europe.

I've checked Drivethroughrpg and I'm tempted by the Premium Heavyweight Hardcover book...but it's quite expensive.
How much does it compare to what one can get from Amazon?

For example this cheaper Harcover copy which (according to Amazon) is labelled "2013 edition edition (30 April 2013)"???
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fate-Norns-Rag ... fate+norns

I'm sure the Drivethroughrpg copy will have less errors (it's a 2015 version)....but I would like to know:

1) Are the errors in the 2013 printing too many to make the book enjoyable?

2) Is the 2013 Hardcover on par with the premium Heavyweight one gets from Drivethroughrpg, ot is it of lower quality in terms of colour/paper?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:22 am 

Heya Luca, you can find the errata list on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46

The inventory on Amazon and other mass seller portals is hard to pin down. They could still be holding old books or they may have the latest print runs. On DriveThruRPG we are the ones you ensure that you are getting the latest printing. OBS has a shipping hub in the UK, so shipping should be really cheap.

As for the print on demand quality, the books stand up to serious abuse. My personal copies are dragged to a dozen conventions per year, flipped through by rough Vikings and tossed across the table to other players. We never did an offset print run, so all of the quality is the same for any edition of our game.

edit: I just saw your question on DriveThruRPG, yes the Premium is of better quality than the amazon book. The one you see on amazon is the standard hardback.

Welcome aboard! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:39 pm 

Andrew, thank you for your reply!
This game looks so great!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:49 pm 

1) Are the errors in the 2013 printing too many to make the book enjoyable?

I've got the 2013 edition and I'd say it is certainly readable and entirely enjoyable. The typos are negligible, and the changes aren't sweeping enough to matter. Things were touched up, but I can't remember anything that was actually wrong with it.

2) Is the 2013 Hardcover on par with the premium Heavyweight one gets from Drivethroughrpg, ot is it of lower quality in terms of colour/paper?

I think I've got the lesser kind because the paper isn't great...but the hardcover nature of it makes up for it. The book can hold up to some serious abuse. I don't think all roleplaying game books should be really intense hardcover tomes, but this one certainly should be.

//Panjumanju