Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Forum rules


No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:26 pm
Posts: 38
Is Gate Bones and Gate Seith Abberation a spell? i.e. can it be interrupted and have focus used on it?

With Alka Kinship, can a Druid stop on an Alka without picking it up? If so do they have to move to pick it up in the future?

An Alka placed in a hex with a character already there causes the Alka to trigger immediately? If so Alka Mastery during cleanup could refresh that hex and cause it to trigger again? If the Alka is not maintained can Alka Mastery be used to refresh the Alkas to have them trigger immediately and then go away during cleanup?

What is the order of operations between Cleansing Strike and defending when hitting a character with Taunters Finesse giving it a defense bonus?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1172
Brokk wrote:
Is Gate Bones and Gate Seith Abberation a spell? i.e. can it be interrupted and have focus used on it?


Gate can be interrupted (DotN p. 347)

The {Spell} descriptor is independent of other descriptors. A power could be a {Gate} and another could be a {Gate Spell}. If it's a spell, you can get interrupted, but you may also add your Focus to level (after Amplify).

Brokk wrote:
With Alka Kinship, can a Druid stop on an Alka without picking it up? If so do they have to move to pick it up in the future?


Alkas are a double-edged sword. They don't require a Maintain tag (which is convenient) but they cannot easily be dispelled (which is a pain). You could house rule that the creator can will it out of existence after the battle, but the intent is that these are more "permanent" spells/effects.

Brokk wrote:
An Alka placed in a hex with a character already there causes the Alka to trigger immediately?


Yes, Alkas can be placed into occupied spaces which consumes the token.

Brokk wrote:
If so Alka Mastery during cleanup could refresh that hex and cause it to trigger again?


Yes

Brokk wrote:
If the Alka is not maintained can Alka Mastery be used to refresh the Alkas to have them trigger immediately and then go away during cleanup?


Not sure what the question is. With each new book, we have been steering the new effects away from complex timing issues during cleanup. If you can house-rule to delay the resolution of damage to the next turn's upkeep phase, that usually cleans things up a lot. When we get to a dot release or next version of RGS, this will be a rules-timing-trap we will avoid. Upkeep is designed for resolution (fresh hand of runes, passives triggering, etc), but cleanup isn't meant for effect stacks (do I return my unused runes first and then trigger Alka Mastery? Inverse would be more beneficial obviously).

Brokk wrote:
What is the order of operations between Cleansing Strike and defending when hitting a character with Taunters Finesse giving it a defense bonus?


The general overriding rule is that after playing a rune chain, the attacker presents the defender with a list of effects/damage and the defender chooses the order of the resolution.

_________________
Image
https://twitter.com/avalkauskas
https://www.patreon.com/fateofthenorns


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 am
Posts: 36
andrew wrote:
...
Brokk wrote:
With Alka Kinship, can a Druid stop on an Alka without picking it up? If so do they have to move to pick it up in the future?


Alkas are a double-edged sword. They don't require a Maintain tag (which is convenient) but they cannot easily be dispelled (which is a pain). You could house rule that the creator can will it out of existence after the battle, but the intent is that these are more "permanent" spells/effects.



I think the broader intent here was that if our druid ends her movement atop a beneficial alka that she doesn't need to pick up right now, say a Geyser of Living Water alka token, then on a following turn would she need to spend any kind of action to "pick up" that alka or could she simply declare that she is consuming the token during her action while she is in it's hex?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1172
I take it you guys play together? ;)

Drewwik wrote:
andrew wrote:
...
Brokk wrote:
With Alka Kinship, can a Druid stop on an Alka without picking it up? If so do they have to move to pick it up in the future?


Alkas are a double-edged sword. They don't require a Maintain tag (which is convenient) but they cannot easily be dispelled (which is a pain). You could house rule that the creator can will it out of existence after the battle, but the intent is that these are more "permanent" spells/effects.



I think the broader intent here was that if our druid ends her movement atop a beneficial alka that she doesn't need to pick up right now, say a Geyser of Living Water alka token, then on a following turn would she need to spend any kind of action to "pick up" that alka or could she simply declare that she is consuming the token during her action while she is in it's hex?


Yes, Passive powers can be activated/used at any time. By "turning off" Kinship, you pick up the Alka effect.

_________________
Image
https://twitter.com/avalkauskas
https://www.patreon.com/fateofthenorns


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 am
Posts: 36
andrew wrote:
I take it you guys play together? ;)


Awesome thanks. And yeah I get to suffer his nonsense during games... Loving the game, even if it's confusing at times. Looking forward to LotA too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:26 pm
Posts: 38
Oh strange Alka question, can you use the 'beam' effect of a Range meta with an Alka spell? (i.e. triple range meta to put 20 hexes of Alka in a straight line)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1172
Brokk wrote:
Oh strange Alka question, can you use the 'beam' effect of a Range meta with an Alka spell? (i.e. triple range meta to put 20 hexes of Alka in a straight line)


Usually all Alkas are [Amp,Amp,Amp], so the fact that you are asking means that you have a combo-player who found a fringe case. ;)

Yes it would give you a long path of Alka beads (without revealing fringe combo).

May Hel have mercy on your souls! ;)

_________________
Image
https://twitter.com/avalkauskas
https://www.patreon.com/fateofthenorns


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group