Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Seithkona questions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:38 pm 

1) Do Arcane Reach and Aura of Influence ever stack?

2) If you Amplify Swords to Snakes does it cost 2 Spiritual to counter or is it still 1?

3) With Possession can you add Range Metas to a spell that normally doesn't get them?

Post subject: Re: Seithkona questions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:10 pm 

Brokk wrote:
1) Do Arcane Reach and Aura of Influence ever stack?

I can't think of how they would.

Quote:
2) If you Amplify Swords to Snakes does it cost 2 Spiritual to counter or is it still 1?

Yes, p118, counters section

Quote:
3) With Possession can you add Range Metas to a spell that normally doesn't get them?

I think so. I feel like I saw the answer to this on here (might be worth searching up possession via google and add "site:fateofthenorns.com")

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:29 pm 

1) I asked because the discussion here is unresolved: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=242&start=20#p1294

Because in the range meta this line: "By default, a root rune’s effect is on an adjacent target or on the combatant initiating the effect (unless the root rune specifies otherwise)." Suggests that Aura of Influence and Arcane Reach would both affect the same things.

3) Again asking because I couldn't find the answer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:42 pm 

1) When used in conjunction with spells, they do stack. If you look, Aura of Influence (AoI) is for all types of powers, while Arcane Reach (AR) is strictly for {spells}. I will keep the focus on spells since they clearly don't stack for non-spell powers. Both powers grant a +1 "reach" to spells so they will stack for your "touch" spells (ie. adjacent / default range). When you cast a spell using a Range meta, you are no longer adjacent, so AoI drops off and your only benefit is AR. In hindsight we could definitely clean up the language used for AR.

2) Every amplify raises the counter cost by +1. It's usually spelled out in powers concerning knockback or conditions. Just extend that verbiage to other powers which may lack that extra explanation. Basically Amplify works the same across all powers.

3) I'm guessing that you're asking because of Nether Pact. If you look at the power description, it states that it can only be added to a power that already lists a Range meta in one or more of the 3 listed metas. The golden rule is that bonus or free metas can only be applied to powers which list them as a valid meta. This is a design consideration to ensure you don't get wonky/unintended/unpredictable effects. The new Orlog archetype may mess with this rule, but it stands firm for all other cases.

Hope this finally answers your questions. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:52 pm 

andrew wrote:
3) I'm guessing that you're asking because of Nether Pact. If you look at the power description, it states that it can only be added to a power that already lists a Range meta in one or more of the 3 listed metas. The golden rule is that bonus or free metas can only be applied to powers which list them as a valid meta. This is a design consideration to ensure you don't get wonky/unintended/unpredictable effects. The new Orlog archetype may mess with this rule, but it stands firm for all other cases.

Hope this finally answers your questions. :)

I was specifically asking in regards to Swords to Snakes being a Seith Spell, but yeah answer wouldn't change I assume.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:01 am 

Since this is about seith questions, I didn't quite understand what happens when a spiritual rune is drawn as the trait that gets hijacked. Could you clarify please?

who knows much of many things.

The Hávamál, verse 54

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:15 am 

I played it that the norn gets control of those runes and determines what happens to them. Often I would deny a combo, or and go do something fun, but I tried to put myself in the shoes of the spirit possessing (we tried to define them) and figure out what they would want. I even allowed for the character to plea with the spirit for cooperation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:25 am 

Yes, determine the spirit personality and then play it to the hilt. "Seith and Sword" as well as "Horn of the Kraken" do a wonderful job of exploring the Seithkona's relationships with the spirit world.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:17 pm 

So for example, if the seith draws spiritual (which determines a more complex personality), and then draws a mental (run away with the body and start a new life), how would that be handled? Would that be something that waits until I have full possession? Or would the Player have to fight the spirit actively? That's where I'm confused. The other 2 make sense, it's literally just the mental agenda of the spiritual control that I'm confused about.

who knows much of many things.

The Hávamál, verse 54

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:23 pm 

For me that mean every time the colour of the rune that this spirit control (That mean you the Norn) would be played to make the character try to get out of combat to run to it's new life.