Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Mount: Dire Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:04 pm 

I'm starting a Saga next Friday and one of my players wants to play a Fardrengir Beast Master. He likes the idea of riding a celestial mount, but was not appealed by either the Golden Boar or the Silver Stag. He asked me if he could ride a Dire Wolf. So I looked at the grids for the wolf and the two mounts and came up with something. It's my first time creating a denzien with the grids and all and I hoped tou could give me some advice.

I added some active and passive that I thought were necessary for a mount and, since I had the idea that the dire wolves originated from Jotunheim, I added Frost Breath in the lower left corner of the Active powers.

Mount: Dire Wolf https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_mLAi ... sp=sharing

So what do you guys think, should I just keep the wolf grid as it is or is what I created not too OP for a mount?

P.S. English is not my primary language so sorry for any mistakes I could have made.

Post subject: Re: Mount: Dire Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:58 pm 

I took a look and you did a really good job at evoking the wolf-like qualities with your selection. And kudos for taking the DotN mount powers as well.

My only comments would be:
- Death Charge requires a weapon, unless you house rule that it doesn't. Frenetic Charge may be a better option, but you need to add a Rage inducing power.
- You loaded the best of everything for an unarmed mobile combatant on one board, so be prepared for something terrifying. Part of the art of board design is keeping ultra-builds in check by placing combos further apart. This way they don't feel front loaded, and it leads to interesting levelling decisions as you try to pick optimal paths.
- Mauling is a go-to power, so that's a corner power that the player will seek out. Death Charge is another one of those. Also with death Charge you need to be larger, so the wolf will need sufficient Essence to get to Giant Size, making it a board outlier. You want to keep Active and Passive powers paced properly.
- I would space out Fangs and Unencumbered Dodger (note: those cannot be Keen Aptituded). Right now the bottom left Passives board is a no-brainer.
- Another power to place judiciously would be Keen Aptitude. Work out the worst stacking scenario and work backwards from there.

Have fun! :)

Post subject: Re: Mount: Dire Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:56 pm 

Thanks for the feedback!

As you said it is very tricky to make a grid that is not to overpower so I moved some things around, change some things, here's the list:

- Changed Death Charge for frenetic charge
-Placed Frenetic Charge in the upper left corner
- Placed Predatory Stance in the middle row (left square)
-Changed Vesatile Combat Manoeuvre for Feral Pounce
-Changed Leaping strike for Snare
-Placed Wolf Pack Attack in the upper right corner
-Placed Mauling in the lower right corner
-Replaced Keen Aptitude in upper left and lower right for Rallying Wolf Pack and Giant Size
-Switched Keen Senses and Fangs
-Placed Enter Rage on the right side

Here is the version 2.0. I'm still taking all feedback!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_SUWY ... 30qTcIMQiE

Thanks