Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: A RPG for my wife
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:11 pm 

Hi friends! New to the forum but been playing tabletop rpgs since 2000. Love 'em.

My wife encourages me to play but has never taken the plunge.

We both just finished listening to the awesome Myths and Legends Podcast that went over the Volsung Saga, Arrow-Odd, Fafnir & a bit about the norse gods ie: loki getting pregnant etc.. lol

Either way, she is HUGE on vikings in general and now riding off the momentum of the podcast i am hoping Fate of the Norns is the RPG to hook her.

Few questions:
* I understand FOTN:R is more high fantasy? I was hoping to go for something more historical but imagine I can hack that?
* How slow is the combat/task resolution in this game? I understand you use runes but i haven't had an opportunity to truly understand it in play
* I think what she likes is the interesting family sagas and sense of adventure and drama. like with Sigurd and Brinheld (spelling) and gunnar love triangle kinda thing. Is this system something that can evoke the feeling of the above podcast we listened to?

Thanks guys! :D :D

Post subject: Re: A RPG for my wife
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:56 pm 

Boze wrote:
Hi friends! New to the forum but been playing tabletop rpgs since 2000. Love 'em.

My wife encourages me to play but has never taken the plunge.

We both just finished listening to the awesome Myths and Legends Podcast that went over the Volsung Saga, Arrow-Odd, Fafnir & a bit about the norse gods ie: loki getting pregnant etc.. lol

Either way, she is HUGE on vikings in general and now riding off the momentum of the podcast i am hoping Fate of the Norns is the RPG to hook her.

Few questions:
* I understand FOTN:R is more high fantasy? I was hoping to go for something more historical but imagine I can hack that?
* How slow is the combat/task resolution in this game? I understand you use runes but i haven't had an opportunity to truly understand it in play
* I think what she likes is the interesting family sagas and sense of adventure and drama. like with Sigurd and Brinheld (spelling) and gunnar love triangle kinda thing. Is this system something that can evoke the feeling of the above podcast we listened to?

Thanks guys! :D :D

* Yes FOTN:R dolls out myth and history equally. So you probably have more mythical stuff than you may be looking for. You can hack it though, all you need is to sub-out the powers you find more "fantasy" with powers that are more "mundane". The Core Rulebook gives you a good selection of both.

* Skill resolution is as simple as drawing some runes from your Essence bag and comparing traits (Physical, Mental, Spiritual). As for combat, the RGS is designed with a throttle. If you take the black "care bear" wounds track, combat will be long and "safer", however if you choose the white "danger" track cobat will be over quickly and will be more "lethal". There is also a mid-range grey track for those who want a little bit of both.

* Yup, the system has been built specifically for Viking adventures. All of the skills and archetypes are highly thematic. We have purposely avoided any standard fantasy tropes. Even death involves the Valkyries and Valhalla rather than your standard Raise Dead and similar spells which have no place in Viking mythology. Denizens of the North is a lore book that takes a deep dive into Midgard. People, places and culture from the 10th century is front and center.

Post subject: Re: A RPG for my wife
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:05 am 

Watch Vkings! Great show with some supernatural overtones snuck in here and there. A great look at how they might have lived.

I play the game with my whole family (wife, son aged 17, twin sons aged 13) and they all love it! I am introducing another couple to the game next week.

You will find the initial combats a bit slow as you get used to how the system operates but it picks up pretty well once everyone has a handle on it. It is very flexible and allows for great player creativity. Skill checks and the like are quickly resolved.

The more fleshed out stories and the vignettes presented in the books can be run with more or less fantastical elements to suit your needs. You can always snag adventures from other Viking games and convert them for FOTN (something I have done a couple of times). The rune system is so unique and evocative of the whole Viking scene that it really stands out from any other Viking game out there.