Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:45 pm 

Hey there, a native scandinavian checking in here.
I've been looking at your game for quite a while, and I just need to get a few things clarified before I take the plunge and buy the book.
1) First of all, this is the current book you are publishing http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fate-Norns-Ragnarok-Core-Rulebook/dp/0986541435/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379887929&sr=1-1&keywords=Fate+of+the+Norns%3A+Ragnarok, right?

2) How many archetypes/classes are in the book? My personal experience is that my players will want to branch out, and to find out what to expect, I took a look at the archetype compendium on Drivethrurpg http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/104672/Fate-of-the-Norns---Archetypes-Compendium?manufacturers_id=3107, and it looks as if it'll suffice, but as this a new book, I just need to check.

3) Just, how lethal is the game? If players are supposed to go through at least three characters before the end of all things, it gotta have some bite to it.

4) If the Fimbulwinter is raging on it's second year, how the hell is anyone surviving? A three year winter would kill any crops, livestock and game. How in the nine worlds is there supposed to be a viable population of northerners to make a game of?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:54 am 

Welcome! I've got the Vikings in my bloodline as well!

1) Yes that's the book

2) There are 5 of the archetypes created in great detail, with 3 specializations for each (15 choices). The power/skill boards allow for A LOT of variance when it comes to builds. Unlike skill trees, the board paradigm allows for instant differentiation. Andrew also let some details drop on the next book being a source book that will include another batch of archetypes. We can't wait!

3) It's a very dangerous game world. Goods are scarce and denizens have had ethics replaced by survival instinct. The afterlife mechanics are there to reward heroic play, by unlocking more options to any player that levels up. No that's not a typo, you personally level up each time your characters get picked up by the Valkyries. To get the attention of the Valkyries, you need to perform great deeds, so it's not a mechanic for suicide, but rather a mechanic that rewards great game play.

4) Yeah the sun and moon are gone, and that comes with the predictable domino effect: crops die -> herbivores starve -> herbivores die -> carnivores starve -> carnivores die... cannibalism? You can always fish, some food doesn't perish (honey) and there is magic. Am I missing anything? IIRC it's been 2 years? It's a really intriguing ecosystem that gets me thinking. I think this would make a great forum thread. I'll go start one now LOL

Seriously great game, lots of epic deeds and it just oozes the genre from the runes to the afterlife mechanics!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:08 am 

The first three questions have been answered beautifully, so definitely read the post above.

For question 2, I will add that we (briefly) had 3 ulfednars in our group and they all played incredibly differently - one rages and charges through every enemy (and occasionally ally) on the battlefield, dishing out crazy damage; the second, and recently fallen, was a hulking troll that fought with sharp claws and incredible size, able to fell giant trees (or treants rather) in a single blow; the third stands still, but uses long weapons and mobile stance to hit every enemy on the battlefield (got to LOOOOOOVE multi!!) and dish out every single bad condition he can (degeneration, blind, vulnerable, and impeded!). The 3 still had some skill overlap, but how we used those skills was incredibly different.

For question 3, the game can be incredibly lethal or you can give it kid gloves. It's up to you. Our group is a bit of a mix; I'm willing to go crazy with the awesome deaths, but another of our other players has had something like 3 deaths in the past 5 sessions, and he's at 5 deaths since we started a year ago with none getting to the heavens. He feels a justified need for a less deadly environment. The afterlife system is really fun! I recently had a fallen warrior led to the heavens by none other than Huginn himself (along with those wonderful valkyrie warriors; look at me, name dropping). Once you go to the heavens, you unlock new game rules like multi-classing or eventually playing as a god. You want as many epic deaths as possible!

Question 4 brings forth an interesting question: How IS a viable population of Northerners surviving this crazy winter??? In our game, there's a lot of mystery and story about it. There's magical means (I just got an amazing bag that doubles all my food and drink every 24 hours - Yes! Now we can tell time!!), the oceans themselves are still full of fish for some reason (the Aesir and Jotun may be slacking off but the other gods aren't), there's a druid in Fafnir's treasure and his story and spellcasting rules will definitely be expanded upon in an upcoming book ~ those who've gotten themselves a Norn screen may have already read some of the details about it. As for the animal life itself, many of the creatures we've been finding have travelled from others parts of Yggdrasil. Those that are native to Midgard have become badasses in their own right. Those wolves are NASTY!! I shall have to check out this new forum thread, and possibly discuss my lucrative farmland deal in Muspelheim.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:37 pm 

On the topic of #4: I thought instead of starting a new thread, I could approach the question here--

Without the sun or moon, is there any semblance of "waking hours" and "sleeping hours", in a general sense? Clearly everyone has to sleep at sometimes, but I'm wondering if most people do so at certain times, and if establishments that are still trying to run have "operating hours", and if such is the case how anyone knows what time it might be.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:46 pm 

Whenever I play something historical I displace my thoughts into another body... a body that doesn't exist with today's technology. A body that had a default skill-set that was very different than that of a modern person. I replace a watch/cell-phone with an inner clock. I replace surfing the web with the skills of butchering an animal and preparing it for both an immediate meal as well as storing away the rest in a way that would preserve it. I replace the driving skill and GPS device with a riding skill and an innate sense of direction. As an RPG player, you need to put away your default skill-set and start to imagine one of a farmer, cowboy, or hunter (and then take it a step further). A lot of our instincts have been replaced with modern day technology. My great grammy had a weather sense that was more accurate than the weather man's. IMHO that's how I approach it.