Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Rune Enchantments
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:24 pm 

I just have a quick and easy question about rune enchantments. Being that they are passive powers, that means that they are on permanently all the time. Given their nature, is there any form of preparation that needs to be done in order to put the runes on the equipment? Maybe give items that have runes inscribed on them to other party members for them to use? I realize that there is a reason not to (it would prove very unbalancing) but I figured I'd ask.

In the description for runic enchantments, it said they were more powerful than normal enchantments aside from their one drawback (which I don't see coming up very often unless you were giving runic items to people lol).

Post subject: Re: Rune Enchantments
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:12 pm 

You can always role-play the scribing of the runes, but it's up the each Norn. But if you checkout the rune page 77 you can't bring runes close to each other or they power down. So making runes for all party members comes at a price. Galdrs should never mass produce!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:33 pm 

I'm pretty sure that Galdrs actually CAN give a copy of that passive to another character.
That gives the Galdr on the go the following options:
1) Be selfish - keep all the power to yourself
2) Be altruistic - give all the power to another (maybe your Effigy?)
3) Be tactical - give the powers to anyone that wants them, but never get too close to one another unless it's necessary

That third choice gives us some Viking spiritual questions:
If I put an Explosive Rune on two battle-axes and throw them at opponents on opposite ends of the battlefield, do they both go boom?
If I have a Rune of Storms tattoo, it it a part of me or my weapons?
If I have 5 Runes of Blood (because I really love blood and 4 Keen Aptitudes), do they cancel each other out?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:39 pm 

If I understand correctly, and hopefully Andrew can clarify how Rune magic works for spells, enchantments and imbued items, no rune needs to be played to activate a Passive power runic enchantment. I assume the runes are inscribed, tattooed, engraved or otherwise marked on an item or person to convey the effect permanently, if traced in paint, ink or similar the effect would last as long as the marking did.

For Active powers in Magical Items Fafnir's Treasure states that the Void rune must be played to activate the power, is this true for FotN:R as well?

What is the procedure for a Galdr who wishes to inscribe runes, especially for Active powers into/onto people or objects?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:20 pm 

A rune enchantment basically "copies" a passive onto an item. Be it permanent (a sharpie) or temporary (breathe on your sword and draw the rune), any players with that rune benefit from an extra passive as long as they aren't within 5 hexes of one another.

As for putting Active powers into an item, Denizens introduces the Blacksmith archetype. It's by using their nifty new Infuse skill that they put an Active or a Passive into an item once it's crafted. Infusing reduces the item's overall stats a little (QR is Quality Rating; you need to spend QR when you Infuse; that spent QR could have been spent on dealing more damage instead), whereas Rune Casters enchant the item for free but with that distance limitation.

Rune casters can't currently put Actives into an item, although I'm sure it could be neat to create rules for that
Possible Idea =>
A rune caster can scribe a copy of an Active into an item. It requires the donating character to make an Ultimate Sacrifice. It's a one shot use though. Only one Active can be scribed onto an item for every 10 QR of the item.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:18 am 

Thanks Ludologist,

I gave Fafnir's a close read through again this morning, and it seems that for runic enchantment Passives the Galdr just needs to scribe the rune to give a copy.

Actives I presume are the domain of the Blacksmith, with the note that the Blacksmith can Imbue any Active Power if he has someone who knows that rune/Active assisting during crafting.

As for the questions above:

Explosive Runes on two battle axes flung to opposite ends of the field should go BOOM! They will be far enough apart to stop canceling eachother.

The Rune of Storms could be a tattoo or scribed on armour, woven into a tunic etc.

As for the question of multiple Runes of Blood and Keen Aptitude, some of it depends on how Keen Aptitude works. Does one instance of Keen Aptitude allow only one existing Passive to be bound to new Essence rune, or does having Keen Aptitude once allow new Essense runes to be bound to existing Passives in perpetuity? In either case since the description of Keen Aptitude states that the effects stack my presumption is that you would have a Rune of Blood tattoo(s) with a very impressive x5 Effect! Keen Aptitude stacking the effects of multiple copies of the same Passive. The question is how many Keen Aptitudes do you need to bind multiple new Essense Runes to existing Passives.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 pm 

Don't take my word as gospel, but my understanding with Keen Aptitude is that when you pick it up, you get to choose a passive power you already have and then you clone it. If that's the case, I'll guess that the runes will cancel out. I think we need a definitive answer from Andrew on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:57 am 

Sorry for the delay guys but we have conventions every weekend for 6 weeks!

OK so from what I gather, the main question here is: how does Keen Aptitude work with Rune enchantments? Let's take a step back. Keen Aptitude allows someone to have more than one instance of a Passive power. So if you have Tactician, and have 2 more instances through 2 Keen Aptitudes then you can Tactician 3 times during the Upkeep phase. As a general rule, Passive powers trigger once per turn, even when they specify a sacrifice cost. So Keen Aptitude allows them to trigger more than once. They are separate effects. So when it comes to runes, yes they would cancel each other out if chosen for Keen Aptitude and placed on the same person. However an Explosive Rune can be used with Keen Aptitude and then added to a second weapon which is then given to another dweller who will stand further away.

This follows the design principle where we wanted the afterlife bonuses to be spread throughout the group, rather than making a high Disir level player more powerful than the rest of the party. Troll Blooded and Galdr exemplifies this beautifully.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:15 am 

I would thing Keen Aptitude would make one rune it more powerful, you are able to change more power into it or your just better at scribing it. Making it two or more separate runes is a complete waste of keen aptitude as the Galdr can scribe another rune as long as it not near each other.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 pm 

I tend to agree with Wholan here... It would represent more powerful, and thus more valuable runic enchantment. Not all spellcasters focus on the enchantment side of things, but those that do, WHOA.

On the other hand, one member of my regular playgroup (you know who you are!!!) doesn't believe in any of the Fellowship/Companion/Bestow line of powers, because grouping together is a surefire path to a total party kill. In other words, my team often has 5+ hexes between members, so those powerful rune enchantments are almost no-brainers. I can easily see the power curve being skewed, and this is bad for all of us.