Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Group Checks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:35 pm 

I've posted this before

Group Checks

I've been a fan of group checks for a while. I don't like that one guy being really bad in stealth makes it so the entire party can never sneak. In other systems, you try to get 50% of the group to succeed. It works fine in other systems, but I wanted something a little more interactive and cooperative for FOTN.

Here's how the system works:

• The Norn sets a difficulty and picks rune color(s) for the check. It is recommended that two are picked as options.
  • The players wyrd their runes.
  • One of the players (often the one with the most successes in one of the chosen colors) is the lead player. he sets the color from the choices given.
  • Everyone else tries to add successes to it and reach the difficulty

One thing that is different with group checks is that players can Morph Runes across players. That is to say, if two players have one rune each of a color, they may combine them to form one of another color.

Naturally, the difficulty on a group check is a bit different than normal, since successes are relatively easy to come by. A suggested difficulty is the Difficulty of the challenge as it would be for one player, multiplied by the number of players you have at your table. Thus, an Easy group check for a group of 4 would be 8 successes. If the Norn feels this is too easy, increase it a bit.

This allows strong players to help out weak players, and for collaboration between weak players to contribute.

Post subject: Re: Group Checks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:57 am 

Interesting to try, certainly gives more opportunity for group tasks and skills when a Dweller is weak in a skill

Post subject: Re: Group Checks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:30 am 

Yea. I've tested this one a bit. I did feel it was kind of on the easy side. If you want to make it hard, I would increase the level by adding the number of players over (equivalent to upping the base check by one level), thou it does give the feeling that working together works better.