Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Death
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:38 am 

Gaining a Disir level by the core rules is pretty hard (unless we read them wrong :D ) .

So we have house ruled as follows.

The system for the number of Runes pulled does not change (other than SAGA Points - See House Rule)

A Rune is drawn from the dead Dwellers set.

This Rune is then added to a number of Runes equal to the dwellers level , but a minimum of 11 added runes, and maximum of all the runes.

The death wyrd is then done from this set of 12+ Runes

This means new Dwellers can more easily impress the gods / jotun., while experienced ones must do more, as would be expected from them.

Post subject: Re: Death
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:33 am 

Hrm, I don't know that I personally like that, but also don't really see anything wrong with it. More of a taste thing. I make my players politic it up a little bit on the stories.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:42 pm 

There's no right and wrong for how quickly your group gains Disir levels, but I can give you the designer's goal, which had been realized in our campaigns. Right now we play weekly, with every player gaining a Disir level every 6 months or so. This may be via 1 or more deaths. So after a year of play, players are between 1 and 3 with a bell curve average of 2. We did have 1 anomaly of a player who played 2.5 years and was still at Disir 0, but as with all aspects of an RPG, you get some funny stories! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:51 pm 

Yea, for my group, that's just not going to work. we play half that at best :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:08 am 

Biweekly for us and the occasional holidays means less. So we're aiming for sonething a little faster :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:54 am 

In hindsight and more thinking about it, I like it, though I do think that an adjustment for Disir level is in order, maybe 1-2 runes added to the pot per disir level.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:48 am 

Yea i like that, stops any early death rush at low levels.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:20 pm 

Possible variations on my side:

A.) Let the Player wyrd an additional Rune for every own dead Dweller that was not chosen since the last own chosen Dweller.
B.) Let the Norn do what i just statet in A.) respectively.
C.) Whenever the Norn wyrds a Rune that matches the Trait of the Rune that has been wyrded by the Dweller, the Norn wyrds one more Rune.
D.) If important figures of the Saga (or even higher entities) attend the funeral, count that as a bonus, too (maybe as a Bonus for good Roleplay or whatever).
E.) Add the difference to the highest Dweller-Level of the whole group (including one self) as a bonus.
F.) Combine the points above as you like.

Hey ... that got quite more ideas than i first thought.

cul8r, Screw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:25 am 

I personally have an issue with adding or changing the draw, as I feel it cheapens those really clutch draws.
And it really motivates players to really role-play out these funerals, in character to give that player more chances to ascend.
Now mind you I have nothing against a little home-brew and I understand that not everyone has the luck to draw the right rune from a bag of 24 runes (4.1666~ chance on the first draw)

Now I like the idea of adding a rune per dweller who did not ascend, but it does not feel like it sits in the lore enough for me.
Screwdesign.Unc wrote:
A.) Let the Player wyrd an additional Rune for every own dead Dweller that was not chosen since the last own chosen Dweller.

So using this as a base, I was thinking it would make more sense on how you died\how many did you take with you on the way down.
For example, a Dweller who was just nonchalantly murdered by his berzerker via wagon bludgeoning, because he kept healing him instead of letting the berzerker's rage go over the stop (personal example that will always stick with me) Its kind of a pointless death, it has less feeling behind it I suppose? and so I would not give anything for this, or I would even give a negative that would then be put against the bonuses of his funeral.

But if the player died a true good death. For example giving up his life to save his comrades, just to slowdown the zombears from devouring them all, and took down a few of those bears in the process. to give him a bonus for a good death, and one for each one he took with him(as long as he was not obviously trying to mad rush himself to death to try and ascend)

In the end you are trying to appeal to the gods no?

But hey that is just me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:53 pm 

I'm taking a page out of the Rules of Acquisitions and letting them buy their way into the afterlife. If a player dies and they want to be assured passage into the halls, the living can pay for an upgraded angel of death to bring them in. They have to have a positive modifier though to do this, no tainted souls. We don't get to play quite as often as much as I wish we could so being knocked down a few levels can be really disheartening. Key thing to remember though is the deceased has no say on whether his friends pay this upgraded angel of death cost which I'm currently setting at deceased character lvl x 100 Skatt which may increase later. So if the other players feel that somebody threw their life away to try and get a disir level, they can veto it.