Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:11 am 

Hi

One of my players pretty much only plays Arabic or African styled characters.

So to hook him into FotN, is there a archtype that could be reskinned to represent an Arabic merchant/ traveller?

Tks

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:00 am 

First one that comes to mind is a skald. He'll have to rename the powers a bit, but it should work just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:58 am 

Thank you I will take a look, replace Norse God with lots of "Prayer to Mohammed" I expect :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:45 am 

Rename Skald to Muezzin?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:50 am 

Trader can be worked into nearly all archetypes.

Muezzin is not a bad choice. For Skald-reskin, you could also go with Hakawati (Storyteller)

The Stalo could be converted to a Faris, who follows the code of Furūsiyya (Arabic knights) or even the Ansar, the elite warriors of the Caliphate.

The Rogue could be either a Barber or a Shatir (Con-artists) or even one of the Hassassin, though they will not arrive until the early 11th Century, as their organization was founded in response to the crusades. You could make a Khawarij assassin, as they had a reputation of killing important people, most notably one of the first Caliphs. They are quite... reminicent of the current branch of salfists though, so you might want to avoid it.

With some serious reskinning and explaining, the Rage of the Berserker might go well with the eurphoric whirls of the Dervishes. On a side-note, certain aspects of the Maiden of Ratatosk might fit just as well.

The Galdr could perhaps be one of the Sha'ir, summoners of Djinni. A blacksmith could be a Toledo Smith, working with Djinnis as well, having them be his forge-beasts.

The Druid could potentially be converted to a Hakim, a sage, schooled in natural philosophy and alchemy, using the incantations of God and his angels to cast "magic".

The more problematic would be the Ulfhednar. Eating corpseparts, shifting into different forms?
Not really a "heroic" collection of traits in Arabic eyes. You might twist this as either a straight up Ghul, a form of Djinni, or a offspring there of.
Perhaps you could skin it as one of the West African Hyena-shifters, which are not all that nice, but at least not straight up monsters.

Well. I'd avoid using Mohammed in a game-context, but that's just my personal view.
Find some of the names of God and perhaps his Angels.

(Yeah, I'm actually writing a game about this part of the world. So, I know a few things)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:19 pm 

Ægir wrote:
Trader can be worked into nearly all archetypes.

Muezzin is not a bad choice. For Skald-reskin, you could also go with Hakawati (Storyteller)

The Stalo could be converted to a Faris, who follows the code of Furūsiyya (Arabic knights) or even the Ansar, the elite warriors of the Caliphate.

The Rogue could be either a Barber or a Shatir (Con-artists) or even one of the Hassassin, though they will not arrive until the early 11th Century, as their organization was founded in response to the crusades. You could make a Khawarij assassin, as they had a reputation of killing important people, most notably one of the first Caliphs. They are quite... reminicent of the current branch of salfists though, so you might want to avoid it.

With some serious reskinning and explaining, the Rage of the Berserker might go well with the eurphoric whirls of the Dervishes. On a side-note, certain aspects of the Maiden of Ratatosk might fit just as well.

The Galdr could perhaps be one of the Sha'ir, summoners of Djinni. A blacksmith could be a Toledo Smith, working with Djinnis as well, having them be his forge-beasts.

The Druid could potentially be converted to a Hakim, a sage, schooled in natural philosophy and alchemy, using the incantations of God and his angels to cast "magic".

The more problematic would be the Ulfhednar. Eating corpseparts, shifting into different forms?
Not really a "heroic" collection of traits in Arabic eyes. You might twist this as either a straight up Ghul, a form of Djinni, or a offspring there of.
Perhaps you could skin it as one of the West African Hyena-shifters, which are not all that nice, but at least not straight up monsters.

Well. I'd avoid using Mohammed in a game-context, but that's just my personal view.
Find some of the names of God and perhaps his Angels.

(Yeah, I'm actually writing a game about this part of the world. So, I know a few things)

Oh do tell. I'm just going to rob this post for my Leverage game that I'm reskinning as mythic arabia.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:53 pm 

Thanks for the very detailed input, pls do share more on your game!