Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: Godi Feedback Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:54 pm 

We'll try and keep this the "official" BETA Godi forum thread.

Please post all Godi and Divine magic related stuff in here.

My initial concerns and design decisions:
- My most pressing concern with the Godi design is that it's super cool and customizable, much more so than the other archetypes, so I'm afraid everyone may gravitate to them. Godis can be casters, warriors, rogues, etc... it all depends which patrons you pick. Their downside is that they don't get special magic (rune, seith, verwandlung, song, etc) or specific archetype powers (flow) and so far they don't get multi-classing options. A decent down side, but is that enough to forego the awesome customizability they offer? I'll want to hear everyone's opinions on this.
- My other concern with Godi was the stacking (namely Passive powers) that can be achieved by 4x one patron. So some of the other Godi related powers scale off of the number of patrons you have. This is to incentivise diversity. Again, room for discussion and adjustment.

Post subject: Re: Godi Feedback Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:35 pm 

Some first pass through feedback.

love the customizability on the Godi. I have at least one player who would be all over this. He also happens to be my min-maxer, so that should give you an idea of how the person who chooses this will think.

I think no cross-archetype is the right choice here. you already get a pile out of flexibility out of being a godi.

I feel that a cost of 1 level to unlock the fylgia board means that you should probably balance on the notion that they will always take that. 1 level just isn't that much, and they will have the ability to pay that one level automatically (disir 1 < disir 3).

I assume the subsections are not meant to be rotated - meaning you can rotate the whole subsection left or right (for example, moving Thor's Sundering blow from upper left to lower left, etc). If that's the case, you might call it out.

I don't think that the godi should have any hallmark powers of anyone else. no turning into bears or wolves, no strong possession incentives, no traps, no more than a couple parries, etc. It seems like you might be thinking the same thing, based on what I see in Thor. Related to this, I think powers with less complex mechanics but are flavorful enough are going to go a long ways here.

I really like the Companion powers in their passive board. Gives him a real "riding with the gods" feel and a strong reason to get the approval of the local Godi (as is done in the sagas). I think that could be a neat way to give him some new flavorful passives in places where you might put a very stackable other power instead (like Might).

Right now, there is a fairly strong incentive to not take multiple patrons - if you have only 1, you can only ever suffer -1 to skill checks. granted, you can't get +1 focus, +1 evade or free meta tags, but it's also much lower overhead for you.

You might consider changing this to instead of 1-4 happy/unhappy patrons to something where having only 1 patron and him being unhappy is equivalent to having 4 unhappy patrons. If someone has 3 patrons (lets say Ull, Thor, Odin, with Thor doubled up) the doubled up one counts twice as much. You are extra investment means that you are extra impacted when the patron is unhappy with you.

Related - Blessing: Healer, and are costly - moderate sacrifice for at most 4 healing is kinda weak. Sage is solid-ish, and I am sure that +1-4 DF, Reach, and Parry will get used a lot. I'd kick up healer a bit, perhaps make it a condition remover or something.

Their center lines on the passive board have a lot of "adjacent to" powers. unless they have aura of influence, it's not going to go far. Aura of influence seems like a power that they would get (I mean, Snorri Godi being the archetypical influencing godi, etc etc).

I think the distinction between blot and faining is too fine a point. I would suggest making it one skill (blot/faining) and having the difficulty based on unhappiness (+1/+2/+3, for example). After all, with humans, you don't use a different influence skill to make a guy who is unhappy with you give you something as you do with a guy who is happy with you. Also, the distinction between those is really not a very norse thing, at least from the scant research I could find.

I would suggest making a page(s) in the book, or a printable PDF, of all the Godi sub-boards laid out nicely (like 6 to a page). Truthfully, separate PDFs of all the boards would be good, but I think it's critical for the godi since there is no electronic tool to build that for you.

Ok, that's my first pass. I'll post more as I think of more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:43 pm 

Awesome feedback! Everyone chime in please.

raleel wrote:
I assume the subsections are not meant to be rotated - meaning you can rotate the whole subsection left or right (for example, moving Thor's Sundering blow from upper left to lower left, etc). If that's the case, you might call it out.

Rule clarification: The patron boards are not meant to rotate as a matter of simplicity. I can flex on that design decision, but I'd like to see good player value in order to justify the extra text and diagrams needed to explain the mechanic.

I'm digesting the rest of the feedback now- thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:49 pm 

andrew wrote:
Awesome feedback! Everyone chime in please.

raleel wrote:

Rule clarification: The patron boards are not meant to rotate as a matter of simplicity. I can flex on that design decision, but I'd like to see good player value in order to justify the extra text and diagrams needed to explain the mechanic.

I'm digesting the rest of the feedback now- thanks!

In fact "The subsections cannot be rotated" is actually all the clarification I am looking for. I think that making them rotatable is... well... a pain, but I can definitely see someone trying to pull that by their GM.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:48 pm 

Next drop can we expect another god?

PAX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:21 pm 

NOW!

Thor and Heimdall in da house! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:45 pm 

Magni in da house! ;)

Almost at 4. We'll be able to test 4 diff quads after the next drop. Until then keep the hyper-spec test going. I intentionally added Magni since he is a hyper-spec god by nature.

Any abuse stories out there?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:47 am 

Baldur in da house! :lol:

4th godi patron is in the doc, so you can now start testing 4 different patron mechanics.

We discussed with layout, and I think we'll be able to fit 1 patron per page. :o

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:51 am 

Siff would be handy for what I'm writing... buuut that's just me being selfish. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:55 am 

I love the customization of these characters. The ability to follow multiple gods ( and be bound to their rules) is great. But as one of my players said, if they only want to follow one god then they end up with just 9 options.

So how about some generic patron boards that offer some variety without making a Godi too much of a Jack of all Trades. For example lets say each god has a theme meta or three (war , peace, travel , realms, air, animals, music, sea etc) then there are patrn theme boards for each of these metas that would fit each god thematically , expanding the godis options if they select fewer gods, even limit access to when they select 2 or less gods?

Cheers

Chris