Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:40 am 

Tshober bro, no way! I tooooooootally see your point and agree to a degree, but the AoD has something way wickedly cool going on here and she needs it to play in a totes unique way. I say you push it all the way, make the Alsvartr immune to Drain, Hel learns the power and she imparts a portion of it to the AoD. Make this the only exception in the universe, but you gotta. Did you give my "no-heal and all self Drain damage and more Drain Wyrd" some more thought? Blarg it's a great title!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:44 pm 

My group and I tried a few things with the AoD this weekend. To begin with, the skills must get the suggested changes. Next we tried a few builds and at low levels, the AoD really does melee and caster well. High levels you'll be forced into hybrid unless you multiclass. Are the corner archetypes defined in the alpha doc? May I suggest: Seithkona, Sceadugengan, Galdr and possibly Orlog/Godi. Also the spec names could use a rethink. While playing the titles sounded a little odd.

Since everyone wanted to break the mechanic, we tried out Hel's Blessing at different levels. Everyone gravitated to Chant of Skuld, and if Stalo is a multiclass option then you can guess Flow will be the go to combo. Every magic item was infused with Wyrd effects and it got pretty crazy. We didn't play long enough to judge if it was broken, but it was clear that certain builds will be obvious margnets because Hel's Blessing is a global archetype power. Have you looked into making it a board power? Perhaps even different takes on Hel's Blessing, like less draw + more choice all the way to more draw + more random.

therajjj, why don't you post up an alternate board so we can dissect it. Are you thinking more powers like Beckon Niflheim to self inflict damage?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:36 pm 

Tshober mah man, yeah a lot of new powers (that can be used for Niflheim denizens as well) what include Ultimate Sacrifice and scale off of runes in Drain. I'll post up some ideas if you and Andrew would like. Speakin' o' which, where is our fearless game designer???

Bro I like your idea of different Hel's Blessings like the "Iron" series of passives for the berserkir. It would clean up the salient ability and add variety. Good call!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:27 pm 

After our current adventure we've decided to pause and play another adventure with the new content in LotA. So hopefully I'll be able to post some feedback on LotA in the next few months.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:51 pm 

On a sidenote: could a mod move this to the right section of the forums ?
It's still in DotN even though it should be in the LoA-subsection :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:19 pm 

moved

Tshober and theRajjj thanks for the great feedback. We'll try a few of those ideas in the next drop. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:22 am 

I'm sorry I'm not very helpful here, but what theRajjj is proposing sounds really cool. Tshober, you're probably right about game breaking, I'm no expert and can't voice my opinion there, but I think the approach suggested would make the AoD really unique.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:37 pm 

first pass comments

I love the burial skill. I can imagine that some people will want to make a angel of death and keep her warming the home fires just in case someone dies. It seems a little odd that she doesn't get any bonus for those who met their fate in battle.

Hel's blessing is quite strong. That's a strong heal right there, and it only takes a level. Anything that requires an ultimate sacrifice will be seem as a resource - ultimate drain, oh look, the rune I wanted, I'll wyrd from Drain. You might consider putting a restriction on Beseeching Higher powers (you are sworn to Hel, and Hel doesn't listen, and no, it's not a way for you to just start pulling runes from drain). That having been said, I like Hel's Blessing. it just needs to be managed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:52 am 

Quote:
It seems a little odd that she doesn't get any bonus for those who met their fate in battle.

The bonus is already baked into the afterlife Wyrd. This skill is explaining how the AoD +1 bonus comes about (and how it could be more).

In tonight's testing we'll be trying out Hel's Blessing as a Passive granted to the specializations with a small tweak to the way it works based on spec. Raleel what are your thoughts on Rajjj's proposal and Tshober's Drain balance argument?

theRajjj have you had time to write up some powers with Ultimate Sacrifices?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:57 am 

Well, it's kind of hard to tease out, to be honest :)

It is critical to remember that multiple wyrds are going to have a cost. Consider - with Chant of Skuld, you have to pay a MinorS +2 to draw that rune. The Amplified, that is going to be a MinorS+5 (remember, MinorS +1 for 2 wyrd as per Denizens). Ampx2 is going to be MinorS+7 (2x3+1) + ModS+1. Someone has to pay that. She's going to end up pretty beaten up if she's popping a pile of runes from drain and pulling into wound levels on smaller sacrifices.

My initial thinking looking at it is that she might be able to make a Major Sacrifice +1 to wyrd one from Drain. That would make it a slight kick up in the fact that you can save something from drain that you might want, but still leave it as pretty deadly to do. Sort of a tax on the body for invoking Hel upon your fate. That would make Flow and CoSkuld tricks be quite a bit more costly. However, I'll freely admit that I've not spent anywhere near as much time looking at this as the other folks.

Another way to deal with this would be to put the Niflheim's passive powers a little closer in. That way there is an incentive to NOT wyrd from drain. I could see this then as a way to buff up - removing your options and focusing on some passives. then Hel's Blessing becomes a way to recover from that.