Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:42 pm 

Post your feedback on the early release booklet content after doing some playtesting

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:44 am 

In the past I've e-mailed in my feedback, but I'll post it here as per your request.

edit: I came back to format this post. I'll try and re-organize all my feedback into a structured post.
A few notes on our testing so far...

Test Play Group & Approach
- Norn + 4 players (average FOTNR experience 2 years)
- We built level 10, 20, 30 and 40 (with and without Fylgia, Troll-Blooded)
- Had head to head skirmishes with other archetypes 1 on 1; I'm not sure if there is a lot of value here, we'll see if we keep doing this.
- 1 player was allowed to sub out her regular weekly dweller and sub in an AoD of equal level (level 27); This is to see how she fits into a group dynamic in and out of combat

General Player Feedback
- Everyone really likes the fact that runes in Drain act as her "battery" powering her other powers; Unique mechanics vis-a-vis the other archetypes
- The flavor of spiritual immunity works with the lore of Hel, Niflheim and the damage type description. The effect was a little jarring until Andrew explained his reasoning: AoD can only be played at higher Disir levels, so her and the Missionary get "exception powers" suited for experienced players
- She's our group favorite; There was a fight to see who gets to play her in the ongoing weekly game!

Mechanics Feedback
- Since Drain isn't a "death condition pile" for the AoD, you need to explicitly amend the damage dealing flowcharts since the Drain pile now acts as one of the "upper" piles. Specific questions: When does physical damage strike runes in that pile? Can mental damage target that pile? We've tried a few configurations and I think what works best imho is: when Essence is empty the player chooses when to assign damage to drain, and no Mental damage strikes to Drain (at low levels it works and high levels it's too devastating).
- The poisons skill needs more types. I know its early alpha but all players wanted to explore the skill more (more crunchy bits)
- Anatomy is powerful, maybe too powerful (I have an excel I can e-mail to you with the numbers)

Power/Skill Board Layout Feedback
- Taking all 4 corner Ultimate Sacrifice "battery" passives allows her to add 4 runes into Drain per Upkeep and it paces well at low to mid levels. The ones in the Fylgia ring are too easy to get to, so I'd say make them less accessible. Otherwise the power curve looks like a bell curve.

General Suggestions
- Suggestion, have you thought of Gate Draugar as an active? that's one power I was sure she'd get!

Summary
So far so good, I'll post the other feedback soon (AoD was my group's favorite so we hopped on her first).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:38 pm 

The last AoD build I have is from late July. Anything new? 8-) The Drain play looked dangerously promising!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:42 am 

Bro bro bro where have you been??
LOL unfortunately nothing new to post. So much DotN stuff going on that LotA hasn't moved in a month. That doesn't mean the ideas haven't stopped flowing. I have a few new ideas on extended immortals boards I'm mulling over. Anyhow nothing is detracting from DotN these days.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:15 pm 

*bump*

Any news on when Lords of the Ash version 0.0.1 will come out? My group is still itching for this archetype.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:30 am 

I assure you that when the first version of LotA goes up, this will be the first archetype you'll see. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:35 am 

+1

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:09 pm 

Bro I'm so glad you kept the Drain draw. It has sooo much potential and it's changed a lot since I last saw it. So if I get it right, you get to draw 1 RANDOM rune from Drain at an exchange for a draw from Essence? Was it too OP before when you could substitute as many as you want and it wasn't random? OK I'll roll widdit. BUT you have an amazing opportunity here to make AoD heal in a completely new way. I say DON'T give her any heals, but instead help her inflict S damage on herself then with the draw she HEALS. This would be incredibly unique in the system. Bro I like where you went with it, but I think you can push it further.

Danger on the skillz. Since she has a never before seen recover from Drain, the US passives that give +1 ranks are broken. I say get rid of 'em from her board.

I think the people that care about the flavor are going to go ape shit over something "healing" Drain. Whatevs I say.

That's mah feedback and I'm stikkin 2 it!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:29 am 

Rajjj I agree with you about the skill boosting Passives. No drawbacks, using them has no downside. Perhaps the Drain pull is only during combat? Nah I don't like that because it feels less elegant than a blanket rule. She didn't have these before and she did just fine.

Anatomy has been removed? Probably a good thing since it was really OP. But I think you get a similar damage stack with CWD. Speaking of CWD, there are a lot of slots devoted to it, kind of limits her skill variety. Feels like the Blacksmith with a board dominated by 2 skills with high repetition.

S damage immunity is gone? Strange, I thought that was the mechanism to keep her from being too powerful. Oh wait I see, you limit the draw to 1 rune per Wyrd. That's new and should work.

Now I know I was exalting the new Drain "battery" mechanic last year, but after playing it a lot and thinking about it, I'm not sure you want to do this to RGS. Drain is supposed to be the "ultimate penalty", your words Andrew and I'm paraphrasing "not even higher powers can heal Drain" so you mean it as untouchable damage. The moment you break that cardinal rule by allowing some systems to break it, you no longer have the "ultimate damage". So if in a future splatbook you need to inflict some "ultimate damage" you'll need to create a whole new concept above and beyond Drain. And this goes back to our "create, overcreate, repeat" discussion. Since you have the gods coming, how does Hel handle Drain? Don't get me wrong, I really like the Wyrd from Drain mechanic, and enjoyed it for months without complaining, but looking at the future, perhaps Drain shouldn't be touched. I wonder if this concept would work using Death instead?

We'll start testing her next week.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:54 pm 

Alright the boys are at it already.
On skills, point well taken. My spidey sense was tingling, but I wanted to hear other thoughts. I'll take it under advisement for the update.

RE: Drain being "ultimate damage"
Gotcha, and that's good policing of RGS integrity. I was debating it for about 4 months and the conclusion I came to was that AoD in previous incarnations was almost unkillable. She would just rise again and consume some stat. I need that feeling in RGS, and undead/Hel/Niflheim are all about Drain. In fact the Alsvartr as you know will get DP drain. If I'm going to grant an exception anywhere, it'll be to anything Niflheim-touched. Her previous incarnation drew many more runes from Drain, she's down to 0 or 1 per Wyrd, and it's random. I know your position well, over the years many design discussions raised the possibility of Drain heals and I've been pretty resolute. Death is interesting, but doesn't align with Niflheim being the Drain-centric. We'll see how it goes as more players try it out.

Raj, I really like your idea about more self damage as the healing mechanism. However with the pull limit of 0 or 1 it makes it a very weak heal mechanism. I think you're in 2014 AoD mode thinking about Wyrding your entire Drain pile. If that was still en vigeur, then this idea would be golden. Right now I think your heal bottleneck will be the draw. If we increase draw during the BETA, I'm totally game to try it out! :)