Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!

Post subject: KICKSTARTER?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:33 pm 

Will "Lords of the Ash" be a KICKSTARTER project? If so, when will the Kickstarter start? I'd really like to buy a DELUXE edition of this book.

Post subject: Re: KICKSTARTER?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:48 pm 

It already was, together with Denizens of the North, back in March 2014.

So it will be made/is financed already and you can get it normally when it's done from your bookstore/amazon/drivethroughRPG like the other books. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:13 am 

Actually we may do a small second one for those who missed it, since there were quite a few people in this category. Getting their early pre-purchases will shore up an even bigger budget and help make the book even better. Obviously those who picked it up early (during DotN) will retain the best acquisition cost. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:35 pm 

Thank you for the information.

I would definitely back a "Lords of the Ash" kickstarter for DELUXE edition.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:37 pm 

Stretch goal for the translation? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:21 am 

Ragnur wrote:
Stretch goal for the translation? ;)

Sounds like a plan! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:23 pm 

andrew wrote:
Actually we may do a small second one for those who missed it, since there were quite a few people in this category. Getting their early pre-purchases will shore up an even bigger budget and help make the book even better. Obviously those who picked it up early (during DotN) will retain the best acquisition cost. ;)

I am within this category and would relish the chance to throw my heard earned money at you andrew.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:11 am 

I am eagerly awaiting both the Illuminated Edda and Lords of the Ash. Are they going up together as one Kickstarter, or will they be split into 2? If it helps your decision on this, I'm in for BOTH books.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:09 am 

We put a lot of thought into this over the last 3 months, about the content organization, the Kickstarter category limitations and the logical release order. A Kickstarter project must fit into 1 category, unfortunately, we cannot put a combined Kickstarter in "games" and "literature". We also don't want to run 2 simultaneous Kickstarters. After a lot of deliberation on the nature of the content split, we went with a way to make 1 of the 2 books (intended to be companion books for gamers) to be an appealing stand alone book for non-gamers. We will still struggle to keep both at manageable size, they have a natural way of bloating due to the vast scope of the content. So the game plan is to Kickstart The Illuminated Edda first under the literature category since its content, as it gets fully written and edited, will feed into the game mechanics book- Lords of the Ash. As I write the end to end Illuminated Edda I refine the role of gods, jotuns and dvergar

The Illuminated Edda
- Prose and Poetic Edda content (Voluspa, Havamal, Grimnismal, and all of the others- way too many to list...)
- All FOTN lore and stories that with the Eddas will provide a complete and very entertaining tapestry of myths (cosmos before Ymir and the nature of the Norns, complete tales of the Muspeli Jotuns & Niddhogg's kin, full sagas of the Vanir introducing a full pantheon, the early conflict between Rime Jotuns and the Aesir, The detailed Vanir/Aesir war, how Odin and Loki became blood brothers, the rise of the dvergar kingdoms, sparse tales of the Alfar since they will get their own book, the sagas that explain all of the animosities like Heimdall-Loki, Frey-Surt, all the back-stories to the fun critters like Ratatosk and much much more...)
- A who's who list of all characters, a quick lookup in alphabetical order and a blurb about them

Lords of the Ash
- New archetypes (Angel of Death, Missionary, Orlog, Voelva, also including the 50+ Godis)
- New denizens (a handful from every realm)
- 3 (maybe 4) new magic systems (Godi, Missionary and Orlog and maybe Voelva)
- Expanded Disir rewards (fully featured Einherjar and Son of Muspel and maybe a new Valkyrie option)
- New magic items (Dvergar-tech expanded)
- New powers and skills
- URGS if we do add the ability to play divine campaigns (play as Aesir for example)
- Starter Vignettes
- Short Saga

Stretch goals for both would be expanded pantheon info about Celtic and Skraeling mythology as well as early Gaelic Monasticism.

For the maps I'm not sure which would get those, maybe both. Locales of Majesty will probably be in LotA, but it could go the other way depending on further editing and content organization. I still fear both books will be too big (ie. very expensive to print and ship). Perhaps the stretch goals will be a separate book if we hit those.

Thanks for your enthusiasm Nornsmith, StephenStrange and Beth! It helps keep the wind in our sails! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:13 pm 

That description of those two books has gotten me really excited.

The Kickstarters should start now, please.