Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Forum rules


No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Would you like to see us produce Power/Skill cards?
Yes 95%  95%  [ 20 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:06 pm
Posts: 3
ideas to trim down deck size for player archetype decks...

-> drop the skill cards. skills are much easier to deal with, it looks like.
-> drop the outermost ring, reducing active and passive powers to 24 plus your void.

that would give you 24 active, 24 passive, then an additional 3 active and 3 passive for you void bound powers, a total of 52 cards per player archetype. it would be missing the high level powers, but you can do two decks per archetype to have a starter and an advanced deck.

the advantages: entry level is easy to keep affordable. a 52 card deck can likely be kept at 10 dollars or less (6.99 is what malifaux arsenal decks of similar count and full color go for.) the focus on entry level characters targets new players who are most likely to want the product in the first place. you are for the most part buying exactly what you need and little more. this is better than one big 200+ deck because even if you had one of every card you will only have one each of a lot of commonly repeated powers making it harder for a whole group to share that 200+ deck anyway (sorry gang, there's only one Power Attack card, who gets it?)

the disadvantages: you wouldn't get skill cards or the outermost ring of the powers (ok because beginners don't need them?) the norn will have to buy a bunch of each deck (or you'd also make a 200+ norn deck?)

just thoughts...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:53 pm
Posts: 971
tedman wrote:
ideas to trim down deck size for player archetype decks...

-> drop the skill cards. skills are much easier to deal with, it looks like.
-> drop the outermost ring, reducing active and passive powers to 24 plus your void.

that would give you 24 active, 24 passive, then an additional 3 active and 3 passive for you void bound powers, a total of 52 cards per player archetype. it would be missing the high level powers, but you can do two decks per archetype to have a starter and an advanced deck.

the advantages: entry level is easy to keep affordable. a 52 card deck can likely be kept at 10 dollars or less (6.99 is what malifaux arsenal decks of similar count and full color go for.) the focus on entry level characters targets new players who are most likely to want the product in the first place. you are for the most part buying exactly what you need and little more. this is better than one big 200+ deck because even if you had one of every card you will only have one each of a lot of commonly repeated powers making it harder for a whole group to share that 200+ deck anyway (sorry gang, there's only one Power Attack card, who gets it?)

the disadvantages: you wouldn't get skill cards or the outermost ring of the powers (ok because beginners don't need them?) the norn will have to buy a bunch of each deck (or you'd also make a 200+ norn deck?)

just thoughts...


i like this a lot. this targets the decks at beginning players who are probably the ones who are going to use them, to be honest.

a Fylgia deck for an archetype is 50 cards for this model (no skills). all of the published aspects together would be 48. all of these are manageable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:51 pm
Posts: 121
raleel wrote:
tedman wrote:
ideas to trim down deck size for player archetype decks...

-> drop the skill cards. skills are much easier to deal with, it looks like.
-> drop the outermost ring, reducing active and passive powers to 24 plus your void.

that would give you 24 active, 24 passive, then an additional 3 active and 3 passive for you void bound powers, a total of 52 cards per player archetype. it would be missing the high level powers, but you can do two decks per archetype to have a starter and an advanced deck.

the advantages: entry level is easy to keep affordable. a 52 card deck can likely be kept at 10 dollars or less (6.99 is what malifaux arsenal decks of similar count and full color go for.) the focus on entry level characters targets new players who are most likely to want the product in the first place. you are for the most part buying exactly what you need and little more. this is better than one big 200+ deck because even if you had one of every card you will only have one each of a lot of commonly repeated powers making it harder for a whole group to share that 200+ deck anyway (sorry gang, there's only one Power Attack card, who gets it?)

the disadvantages: you wouldn't get skill cards or the outermost ring of the powers (ok because beginners don't need them?) the norn will have to buy a bunch of each deck (or you'd also make a 200+ norn deck?)

just thoughts...


i like this a lot. this targets the decks at beginning players who are probably the ones who are going to use them, to be honest.

a Fylgia deck for an archetype is 50 cards for this model (no skills). all of the published aspects together would be 48. all of these are manageable.


+1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1147
Looks like a resounding yes...

If were were to produce 1 set for 1 archetype as a pilot project, which would you like to see first?

_________________
Image
https://twitter.com/avalkauskas
https://www.patreon.com/fateofthenorns


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 26
YES!

Maiden PLSSSSSSS! ^^


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:53 pm
Posts: 971
andrew wrote:
Looks like a resounding yes...

If were were to produce 1 set for 1 archetype as a pilot project, which would you like to see first?


been a couple weeks thinking about this. I'm not sure i have a really strong preference as a pilot. I think that galdr, seithkona, or druid would be good choices, as those folks are probably used to having power cards from other games (wizards tend to pick them up)

However, I also think that ulfhednar or berserkir would be good, because those folks AREN'T used to a lot of powers.

then I think it's a pilot and those things probably don't matter. I think I'd pick seithkona though - a lot more involved powers than the fighter sorts I think.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:04 am
Posts: 12
Yes i would pay anything to have nice neat power cards with good art on them.
Currently I just scribe everything on the back of my players dweller sheets (I have them each have a dweller sheet a disir sheet and their 4 pages of their archtype Active Passives and skills. Each with their corresponding information all writen upon their backs)

This was massively time consuming.

However my problem for releasing a deck of power cards is how many of each card comes in the deck? 1 would seem obvious but here's the catch alot of abilities are used all around the table. I suppose that then you just pass the card around but... thats less fun and not why I laid down money on a deck of power cards. that said


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 8:30 am
Posts: 77
Seriously when is this getting produced? This is at the top of our shopping list and we've been waiting patiently. We'd prefer the big box, but if you do archetypes, we'll take 2 of each. Andrew, maybe you add this as a pledge level extra in the upcoming Kickstarter. This way you pre-sell them before having to make them. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many people will pick the pledge level that includes these.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1147
Message received loud and clear! ;)

How would you guys feel about that monster manual coming out as a deck of cards rather than a book?

_________________
Image
https://twitter.com/avalkauskas
https://www.patreon.com/fateofthenorns


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 3:53 pm
Posts: 4
This is also a great way to update my first print run books with the errata-ed descriptions of the powers.

As cool as cards are ( and yes I would buy them) I would rather have a software program (download or web based) that let me create my character and then print it out with the "official" power descriptions.

This program could allow you to print an overall character sheet or if you wanted small summary cards. The summary card could include the actual rune a player has the power tied to. It could allow you to build a monster database that could be printed out as needed. It allows updating of errata-ed powers. etc !

There is a huge amount of flexibility in coding this and allowing players to make their own hard copies. Costing this I think is a greater challenge.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group