Fate of the Norns

The Complete Viking Experience!
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Forum rules


No cyber-bullying, no racism, no spam! Keep discussions civil and respectful or you will be banned!



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:38 am
Posts: 17
I've had, and run, the Core rulebook for a while, but I only recently acquired the beautiful and interesting "Denizens of the North".

There's a "Simple Tactics Runic Game System" (STRGS) offered in the back as alternate rules of movement, doing away with hexes in favour of a few different tiers of abstraction. I really like this idea, because I find mapping everything out directly usually pretty tedious. I've used it - or something similar - in RPGs before, but not yet in FotN.

Has anyone on here used the STRGS variant? Did it work well, or was there a lot of iffy adjustment that had to happen with the powers?

//Panjumanju

_________________
--
"What strength!! But don't forget there are many guys like you all over the world."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:53 pm
Posts: 967
Panjumanju wrote:
I've had, and run, the Core rulebook for a while, but I only recently acquired the beautiful and interesting "Denizens of the North".

There's a "Simple Tactics Runic Game System" (STRGS) offered in the back as alternate rules of movement, doing away with hexes in favour of a few different tiers of abstraction. I really like this idea, because I find mapping everything out directly usually pretty tedious. I've used it - or something similar - in RPGs before, but not yet in FotN.

Has anyone on here used the STRGS variant? Did it work well, or was there a lot of iffy adjustment that had to happen with the powers?

//Panjumanju


my apologies. i forgot to get back to this.

I've done some tinkering with this. I didn't get to use it in a game. my group likes to have a little more definition in it. Maybe like hexes, but course granularity - zones, but on a map


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:38 am
Posts: 17
raleel wrote:
I've done some tinkering with this. I didn't get to use it in a game. my group likes to have a little more definition in it. Maybe like hexes, but course granularity - zones, but on a map


I've been using the STRGS method for a few sessions now. I'm not sure if it's only working well because my players don't know the rules very well and assume I know what's going on when I hand-wave the relative distances. Let's see if it goes as well when they're better up on the rules.

//Panjumanju

_________________
--
"What strength!! But don't forget there are many guys like you all over the world."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 am
Posts: 1072
Panjumanju wrote:
raleel wrote:
I've done some tinkering with this. I didn't get to use it in a game. my group likes to have a little more definition in it. Maybe like hexes, but course granularity - zones, but on a map


I've been using the STRGS method for a few sessions now. I'm not sure if it's only working well because my players don't know the rules very well and assume I know what's going on when I hand-wave the relative distances. Let's see if it goes as well when they're better up on the rules.

//Panjumanju


If you're unsure abotu anything just ping us on the forum and we'll answer any questions you may have. I think you're handling it correctly by not letting the rules get in the way of the adventure. Make a note of what's not clear, and press on during the game session, then hit us up between sessions for answers. Nothing hurts the RPG experience like rules lawyers digging through books and stalling out the game.

STRGS ranges are what I'm using for War of Shadow. Since it's a horror themed game/supplement minis will kill the horror immersion. So any feedback on what works and doesn't work is always great feedback for me.

_________________
Image
https://twitter.com/avalkauskas


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group