Fate of the Norns
http://www.fateofthenorns.com/phpBB3/

Help! Clarification on Rules
http://www.fateofthenorns.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=652
Page 1 of 1

Author:  mcbear87 [ Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 am ]
Post subject:  Help! Clarification on Rules

I have seen several versions of the rules, and I'm a little unclear as to how Supremacy works.

If a Supremacy is played, is it active until the end of the round (until every player plays a card)? Or is it active until the end of the game (meaning all 7 rounds)? If it is active the whole game, and no new Supremacy is played in the second round, then does the Supremacy still take precedent over the new trump card? For example:

In round 1, lead players plays a blue supremacy. No one beats it, and lead player takes the trick.

In round 2, lead player lays down a red card with a power of 5. Player 2 has no red cards, so lays down a blue card with a power of 3. Player 3 lays down a red card with a power of 6. Who wins the trick? Player three, with the strongest card matching the initial trump of round 2? Or player 2, with the strongest card matching the Supremacy established in round 1?

When scoring, are the Supremacy points added to a players total immediately? Or are they not added until the winning piles are calculated. (example: Play 1 plays a Supremacy card with a power of 5 and a value of 40. Player two plays a card matching the suit of the supremacy with a power of 6 and wins the trick, taking player one's supremacy card into their winnings pile. Who gets the points for that supremacy card? Player 1, the second they played it? Or player 2, who now has that card in their winning pile? or both?)

Also, the old rules mention Supremacy grants cards of the same suit an additional 7 power, but the new rules do not. What is the correct way to play (I have the newer version of the game)?

And lastly, the old rules say that if a player meets their bid they score points EQUAL to their bid, but the new rules say if they meet their bid they score ALL points they have earned in that round (from new rule sheet: "After the hand is played, the players count the Value
of all cards in their Winnings Pile. Players also add any
Supremacy Combo points they may have scored. The
Bid Winner must meet or exceed their bid in order to
score their points.").
Again, which is correct?

Author:  andrew [ Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Help! Clarification on Rules

mcbear87 wrote:
I have seen several versions of the rules, and I'm a little unclear as to how Supremacy works.


Supremacy is active until the end of the hand (all cards played), unless it is superseded by someone playing a new supremacy, then the last one played is in effect.

mcbear87 wrote:
If a Supremacy is played, is it active until the end of the round (until every player plays a card)? Or is it active until the end of the game (meaning all 7 rounds)? If it is active the whole game, and no new Supremacy is played in the second round, then does the Supremacy still take precedent over the new trump card? For example:

In round 1, lead players plays a blue supremacy. No one beats it, and lead player takes the trick.

In round 2, lead player lays down a red card with a power of 5. Player 2 has no red cards, so lays down a blue card with a power of 3. Player 3 lays down a red card with a power of 6. Who wins the trick? Player three, with the strongest card matching the initial trump of round 2? Or player 2, with the strongest card matching the Supremacy established in round 1?


In this scenario, the player who played the blue (ice giant) supremacy takes the trick.

mcbear87 wrote:
When scoring, are the Supremacy points added to a players total immediately? Or are they not added until the winning piles are calculated. (example: Play 1 plays a Supremacy card with a power of 5 and a value of 40. Player two plays a card matching the suit of the supremacy with a power of 6 and wins the trick, taking player one's supremacy card into their winnings pile. Who gets the points for that supremacy card? Player 1, the second they played it? Or player 2, who now has that card in their winning pile? or both?)


The player who reveals the supremacy combo gets the points. Simply having a supremacy combo in your winnings pile does not grant you any extra points. Combo points are scored by the player who leads off the trick and reveals a combo (and plays one of the two cards).

mcbear87 wrote:
Also, the old rules mention Supremacy grants cards of the same suit an additional 7 power, but the new rules do not. What is the correct way to play (I have the newer version of the game)?


That language was a bit confusing so we ditched that description for the newer one that just allows you to win (highest supremacy strength takes the trick).

mcbear87 wrote:
And lastly, the old rules say that if a player meets their bid they score points EQUAL to their bid, but the new rules say if they meet their bid they score ALL points they have earned in that round (from new rule sheet:
"After the hand is played, the players count the Value
of all cards in their Winnings Pile. Players also add any
Supremacy Combo points they may have scored. The
Bid Winner must meet or exceed their bid in order to
score their points.").
Again, which is correct?


Some players found it too punitive to be caught by a their high bid of say 100 when they end up scoring 180 points. We made the scoring somewhat more forgiving (easier). If you guys are hard-core, then you can enforce the rule that you only get to score the amount you bid, which makes the bidding strategy much more important.

Have fun!

Author:  mcbear87 [ Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Help! Clarification on Rules

Awesome, Thanks!!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/